Thread: New Charger for OZ?

New Charger for OZ?

A new Charger on the way?
    By James Stanford
    19mar04

ONE of the biggest names in Australian muscle car history could be about to make a comeback.

A new Charger is expected to be added to the Dodge line-up in 2006 according to US company officials who do not want to be identified.
    But unlike the Valiant model that has become such a cult car in Australia, the new model is unlikely to be a coupe. Instead, the Charger is expected to be built off the same base as the rear-wheel drive Chrysler 300C, which is a V8-powered four-door sedan.

Dodge has played with the idea of a new Charger before, releasing a four-door concept car in 1999, but it is unknown how much the new car will have in common with it .

Chrysler group's chief designer Trevor Creed would not comment on the Charger rumours, but told Autoweek a fast Dodge V8 was on the way.

“We will be looking at a very sporty version of this (300C) platform for Dodge,” Creed says.

He said the Dodge model will look quite different from the Chrysler 300C and that the cars would not share any sheet metal.

“We will not do badge engineering any more,” Creed says.

Unfortunately for Charger fans, a coupe is currently out of the question.

“You've got to have a four-door, there's no market for a coupe,” says Creed.

Chrysler Jeep will launch the Dodge brand here in 2006 although a possible Charger model is not a certain starter.

Chrysler Australia spokesman Simon Johnson said the company was unaware of any plans to bring back the Charger, but says it would be interested in any such model.

“Any new products in the pipeline are most welcome,” Johnson says.

“The name Charger is filled with an enormous amount of memories for a lot of Australians.”

The first hurdle for the new Dodge model is its left-hand drive origins, but Chrysler in the US has previously claimed all new models would be engineered for right-hand drive as well.

Just as news of the new Charger surfaced in the US, a 1969 Dodge Charger was named Hollywood's top star car. The orange General Lee, hero of the TV show Dukes of Hazzard, was voted the most popular Hollywood car in a national survey.

Steve McQueen's Ford Mustang from Bullitt was second, with a 1967 Shelby Mustang from Gone in 60 Seconds third.
    -----------------------------------

i think as long as they get a coupe profile into the bodywork, they can make it sell regardless of it being a 4 door, but saying they cant sell a coupe in the american market is BS, the GTO should be living proof of that
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Stig

Intresting....I personally would rathe see a v8 cross fire instead of a 4 door but that would almost have to be added to v8 super cars...no 2 ways about that!

well if the new charger does come out and we're lucky enough to get it, i'd rather see that in the V8 Supercars than the magna. with the crossfire though, chrysler just came out with an SRT-6 version of it but i dunno what mods its got over the standard crossfire
    I am the Stig

Well the crossfirei though was ok but when i found out iwas noly a 6 i lost all intrest in it!
    And that said i think the peoplewould prefer the chrysler but would they accept it...and if it does happen i still doubt itll revive the manufactuor here...

didn't they try to make a new charger one time before . any way it would be cool if they made it as long as it's in the u.s.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

If they really aren't going to do a 2-door version, they shouldn't do it at all. It'd ruin the name...
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

maybe they should pull a Mazda and fit suicide doors and claim the benefit of added access to the rear seats. if it wasn't a coupe it hink it would get less sales than a proper coupe, but if they want to meet halfway like what mazda done with the rx-8 then it hink they should be reasonably safe. with the crossfire being based off the old SLK i'm surprised that they dont re-do, say an old CLK

i think the crossfire coming with a V6 over a V8 is as stupid as the prowler having the V6 and the PT Cruiser having a 4 cylinder. give them all the new Hemi i say!!
    I am the Stig

I doubt they care about ruining the previous cars image as they are trying to sell new ones...thats what chevrolet did with far too many cars...they survived though GM wasnt doing to well with their new models of them....personlly i think their should be a 2 door in the range...the pruler shouldf had a v8 and the p cruiser should of come out with the turbo version first (i doubt anybody rembers the PT bruiser specail model but the v8 didnt quite fit and need a completly new front end)

well i havent heard of the PT Bruiser, but i have seen the Howler, a ute version of the Prowler
    I am the Stig

Thread Information