Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys hate 1/4 racing and nascar

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Sometimes I hear claims that NASCAR racing is also done on road tracks. How much resetting is necessary to achieve that or is it simply not true?
    You make it sound as though it were some kind of conspiracy, somebody putting out lies trying to fool people to think they race on road courses.

They most definitely do race on road courses, in fact the most recent race in the series was at the excellent Sears Point track. Though as you can obviously see from this little video clip, they are pretty slow and cumbersome in the twisties. They clearly aren't designed for that kind of racing, but full marks for effort.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LHvIsb_h6...car%20infineon
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    The suspension is set up to assist them, I don't think the chassis or suspension geometry is wonky. The don't run restrictor plates at road circuits either, so they're pushing out 900bhp+
    900bhp from 5.8-litres? Not bad at all. Who said americans cand do high specifil power outputs...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

They can't all the motors are built in England. Same as Indy Car.

Full marks for effort indeed, but that is very funny! It looks like a BTCC parade lap!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The fact that the car is build up assymetrically is exactly what makes it a mockery in real life where right turns do exist. (if only Americans politics had such a left bias )...Reminds me of the 60-ies Indy cars which had their bodies offset to the left...
    Sometimes I hear claims that NASCAR racing is also done on road tracks. How much resetting is necessary to achieve that or is it simply not true?
    They have several chassis at their disposal, each design for specific circuit(new rules supposed to curb that, bring one uniform chassis to all types of track). They have Super Speedway car for big tracks like Fontana or Homestead, Restrictor plate car for the plate races, short track car for less than one mile oval, and road course cars. Each chassis is actually built differently to accommodate for the types of condition they see, not only in terms of vehicle dynamic, but for cooling and aero as well. You can see for the oval their bodywork is actually asymmetrical too to accomodate for the aero needs. Road course cars obviously are symmetrical(or as much as the layout allows, the panhard bar 4 link rear axle is asymmetric to begin with.), features faster rack and different suspension geometry. Oval racing has evolved in such a way that even the direction of the chassis twist are also controlled to aid the car in one direction. Don't say that may be irrelavent as F1 if given need to run on an oval they will be doing the exact same thing....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    They can't all the motors are built in England. Same as Indy Car.

Full marks for effort indeed, but that is very funny! It looks like a BTCC parade lap!
    Last time I checked DEI and Hendrick are based in North Carolina....both of these are the biggest engine builder in NASCAR.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I like drag racing. There's a fair bit of driving skill there, like reacting to a green light in 0.05s and then engaging a clutch that reins in 4000hp+ without bagging up the tyres. And in the lower classes, modulating a more roadcar-esque clutch and changing gears in an obscenely powered tintop. But I think most of the skill kudos has to go to the mechanics. I mean those guys pull apart, rebuild and fine tune a 4000+hp engine that runs a fuel that explodes not burns in an hour or two. Thats some skill. I really wanna go see some Top Fuel drags, just for sensations of it.

But NASCAR...nope. No thanks. I mean, the crashes are cool, but all that stuff about racing side-by-side, nose to tail at 200kmh, you can get that better in touring cars, with better overtaking moves. And V8 Supercars do that with basically the same technology as NASCAR, but smaller budgets.

Just my personal opinion.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

My grandparents live about 3 or 4 miles from Indianapolis Raceway Park and when the drags are going on you can hear them. I've gone and seen some of the races and it's amazingly loud and fast.

It's all a matter of personal taste. Some people like NASCAR becuase of the sustained high speeds. Other people like drag racing for it's brutal acceleration. There is no point in arguing about what's better; NASCAR, NHRA, F1 and so on. All kinds of racing can be fun, just different ways of getting to the finish line first.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    I like drag racing. There's a fair bit of driving skill there, like reacting to a green light in 0.05s and then engaging a clutch that reins in 4000hp+ without bagging up the tyres. And in the lower classes, modulating a more roadcar-esque clutch and changing gears in an obscenely powered tintop. But I think most of the skill kudos has to go to the mechanics. I mean those guys pull apart, rebuild and fine tune a 4000+hp engine that runs a fuel that explodes not burns in an hour or two. Thats some skill. I really wanna go see some Top Fuel drags, just for sensations of it.
    Ive never seen Top Fuel cars run but Many people say you can feel each piston hit and the 0-320 in 4.6 seconds isnt bad either. The mechanics are absoutly amazing they can rebuild the entire engine in less then an hour. 7000 horsepower and theys till use a clutch its simply amazing.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    I guess you’ve never been to a drag race. Its one of the most competitive forms of racing in the world with the cars being side by side for most of the way. Winning is commonly a tenth of a second difference between cars.
    Ive never seen Top Fuel cars run
    I have seen Top Fuel cars, in the fleash, on many occasions.

So, yes I would know how close it can be (usually isn't because more often than not one of the cars breaks, or the driver cocks up, so one car wins by several seconds).

I also know that the majority of time is spent finding something else to do whilst you are waiting for another 10s worth of racing.

Care to show me where you can buy one?
    Buy one what?

Every event are you forgetting SPA? Some tracks were even closing because they couldnt draw in as many people as they use to
    The circuit isn't closing because of F1, although that is a significant factor. Spa actually hosts many other events in a season.

Apart from Spa, do you know any other F1 circuits which are actually closing, and if there are any, can you actually prove that it is directly because of poor F1 attendance, and nothing else?

Monnoco is the only race keeping it alive.
    So; Bahrain, Turkey, Malaysia, China, Russia, etc., – all building brand new circuits and bidding to host races because F1 is dead.

And at the same time, none of those countries seem to be building oval circuits or bidding to host NASCAR races, despite the “fact” that NASCAR is, according to some, capable of generating significantly more money and excitement than F1.

You got to be shitting me everyone on here is biased to European everything.
    I dont hate F1 im just sick and tired of poeple saying o Nascar is redneck they dont take turns.
    So why did you start this thread?

If you ask “Why don’t you like NASCAR?” to a group of, according to you, anti-Americans, the response is more than likely going to be; “Because it is redneck and they don’t take turns.”.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Nascar attracts a few million Americans, F1 has a global audiance of billions.
    That's a massive load of crap. First of all, there's absolutely no way in hell that more than 1/6th of the Earth's population follows F1. Nowhere even remotely close to that. That's totally false.

Statistics have shown that roughly 12% of Americans are "hardcore" NASCAR fans. Estimates say there are roughly 75 million fans in total, and several more million outside of the US. Sad, isn't it...

I don't know which of the two sports is more popular, but it wouldn't surprise me if Nascar had a larger overall income and popularity than F1. Which is pretty lame, considering how revoltingly boring it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    That's a massive load of crap. First of all, there's absolutely no way in hell that more than 1/6th of the Earth's population follows F1. Nowhere even remotely close to that. That's totally false.
    From BBC news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/1842217.stm

"Formula One's television audience has dropped by three billion viewers since 1999, according to the latest figures.

F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Management company (FOM) has released figures showing a total audience of 54bn for the 2001 season.

The figure is a cumulative total that takes into account the number of people who switch on to F1 on any television programme through the course of a year."

http://www.bized.ac.uk/current/mind/2003_4/080304.htm

"The average viewing figures for each grand prix is over 354 million worldwide"

"Ferrari has a budget of (depending on the source) between $300 and $400 million (£163 million and £217 million) whilst Minardi, owned by Paul Stoddart are attempting to compete with a budget of $40 million (£21 million)."

(Billion dollars eh?, not quite...)
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 06-29-2006 at 01:53 AM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    According to 2004 season statistics, the cumulative viewing figures for F1 were 6 billion. (i.e., 1/2 a billion people watched 12 races)

Each F1 race attracts a global audiance on a par with the olympics or world cup.

Crazy but true...
    That is a serious amount, and I definitely under-estimated it, but I did a bit of research and came up with this... (Wikipedia)

I read that in the 2005 season the viewing statistics were up 3% from the previous year. I also read that the Canadian Grand Prix was F1's most watched event of 2005, and that it had an estimated 51 million viewers.

That's not half a billion. Could I see where you got those statistics?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    That's not half a billion. Could I see where you got those statistics?
    Sorry, I should know better than to post figures without checking them so edited the post.
    Thanks for all the fish

[QUOTE=Coventrysucks]From BBC news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/1842217.stm

"Formula One's television audience has dropped by three billion viewers since 1999, according to the latest figures.
    I wonder why could it be that you already know who won?

F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Management company (FOM) has released figures showing a total audience of 54bn for the 2001 season.
    Is this 54 billion indivdual or all the races added up together?

The figure is a cumulative total that takes into account the number of people who switch on to F1 on any television programme through the course of a year."
    So you could just be channel surfing at it counts that youve watched sometimes more then once?

"The average viewing figures for each grand prix is over 354 million worldwide"
    Id be intersted how many people change the channel after the start Ive done it many times and come back to the race. Does this mean I have got counted 10 times as a viewer?

"Ferrari has a budget of (depending on the source) between $300 and $400 million (£163 million and £217 million) whilst Minardi, owned by Paul Stoddart are attempting to compete with a budget of $40 million (£21 million)."
    Ive read it was closer to 800 million
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Thread Information