Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys hate 1/4 racing and nascar

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Ive read it was closer to 800 million
    That's correct; for two seasons.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Ive read it was closer to 800 million
    You've read wrong

This is published every year by Business F1 magazine, this year the biggest spender in McLaren at $400 Million, follow by Toyota's $390+ million and then Honda, then BMW, then Ferrari then Renault.....

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/15062006/...t-spender.html
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 06-29-2006 at 08:44 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Is this 54 billion indivdual or all the races added up together?
    Where do you think any individual race could get an audience of 54 billion viewers?

Edit: yet I don't think that they could get 54 billion viewers during a full season, excpet if we counted in all races, qualifications, warmups and practice sessions.
    Last edited by twinspark; 06-29-2006 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    That's correct; for two seasons.
    Toyota for two seasons, Renault for 2 and 2/3 seasons, Williams for six seasons, as Racing Maniac correctly pointed ...

I think Spa isn't closing. It couldn't come with the money Ecclestone was asking for changes in infrastructure. The only low attendance figure I was aware of last year, was in Malyasia, given that they had to GPs in less than six months due to a calendar change.

About the viewers... no matter how you measure it there is no way Nascar (being a local series) can have as many viewers as F1 (being a global series). The size and quality of the sponsorships proves that with ease.

About caring for the fan... I haven't been to Nascar but if it is close to what CART delivered it should be great. When I went in '99, USD $20 gave you pits access where you could get see all the drivers meters away and get run over by the mechanics pushing the cars to and from the track. The radio thingy was also there for not much money... F1 is miles away from that kind of experience, but it gives you another type of buzz (sheer speed) and I enjoyed it a lot too.

About the racing... it may sound silly but yes, nascar only turns left and slipstream, and quarter milers only do it for a handful of seconds. That makes it of little interest to me. Obviosuly to be competitive on either of them you still require lots of talent. Jeff Gordon was something like 5 secs away from Montoya which isn't super close in a 1'30 lap. Still that was only a demonstration and shouldn't be used as a yardstick.

Finally, just because one likes something (for example snooker) not every body has to like it! You could play pool and hate snooker, so what? To each their own tastes! Just be sure to get your facts right when you get behind an idea.
    Last edited by magracer; 06-29-2006 at 10:03 AM.
    Zag when they Zig

All forms of racing have their positives and negatives. NASCAR primarily races ovals. F1 doesn't have 20 cars that can win on any given weekend. Drag racing only lasts a few seconds, and then there's a few minutes between runs. Rally racing is a lot like that too. One car goes by, then another a few minutes later.

And for those who think drag racing isn't hard, you should really try it. Yea, it's not the most difficult thing in the world, but there isn't as little to think about as you may think. In circuit racing, if you make a mistake, you have the next 50+ laps to make up for it. Blow that shift into 3rd gear and you're going to see the guy in the next lane pull away from you. There are no second chances. And launching a car at the track is way different than on the street. There's so much more grip that if you launch too low, you'll bog the motor; launch too high and you'll still spin and mess up your 60' time.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    Toyota for two seasons, Renault for 2 and 2/3 seasons, Williams for six seasons, as Racing Maniac correctly pointed ...
    From that I think it's pretty obvious how mcuh they spend on building and developing engines while Williams buys them.

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    Obviosuly to be competitive on either of them you still require lots of talent. Jeff Gordon was something like 5 secs away from Montoya which isn't super close in a 1'30 lap. Still that was only a demonstration and shouldn't be used as a yardstick.
    Yes, but Rossi went from 2 wheels to F1 and ended up within 1 sec of Schumacer IIRC
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Yes, but Rossi went from 2 wheels to F1 and ended up within 1 sec of Schumacer IIRC
    even though the number of wheels are different, i believe its been said those two forms of racing are actually pretty similar. cant recall where i heard it, not sure but i think it was an announcer.
    You can call me scott.

What, MotoGP and F1? Give me break, only because they're the top racing forms for motorbikes and openwheelers, that's the only similarity I can see
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

What, MotoGP and F1? Give me break, only because they're the top racing forms for motorbikes and openwheelers, that's the only similarity I can see
    Ok, Ok. i will give you a break.

But, now i do have a question for you. If they arent that similar, and rossi did a better time that gordon, are you saying that Rossi is a better car driver than gordon even though the similarities are farther?
    Last edited by scottie300z; 06-29-2006 at 09:51 PM.
    You can call me scott.

No, it's just that Ferrari are more willing to 'manipulate information' for the sake of PR... if you see what I mean
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

In the end everyone seems to be doing the same thing which is competition and or having fun. So who are we to dictate what is right and or wrong in forms of racing? We can all enjoy whatever it is, be it tracking in a Ferrari or taking down 1/4 mile runs, both take skill whether one is willing to admit is a different story.

remember: John Surtees, Mike Hailwood, Johnny Cecotto......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    remember: John Surtees, Mike Hailwood, Johnny Cecotto......
    Did they all go from bikes to F1?
    – Hunter Thompson

Did they all go from bikes to F1?
    Well, Surtees did win championships on both 2 and 4 wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark
    Well, Surtees did win championships on both 2 and 4 wheels...
    Yes, he was actually world champion 500cc and F1, Hailwood was less successful in F1, but still a competent driver. Cecotto made most of his marks in touring car racing...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information