Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bently SUV---YUK...Aw Aw

It's all about the money. Sad but true.

We have Cayennes, MLs, X5s and Q7s. These from companies 15 years ago you'd never think would produce fake-roaders. Porsche being the most shocking for me personally.

Porsche is understandable though, the Cayenne being a necessary evil. Porsche was once in trouble of being sold, now they own VW. The Cayenne increased their profits and therefore secured a great sportscar manufacturer.

But what's the point of a Bentley SUV other than pure greed from VW? Bentley's in no trouble whatsoever! Heck, they've already been taken over...

This snowball needs to be stopped before it goes any further. If VW goes ahead with this, just imagine the repurcussions. Some other brand will want a piece of the pie, then another, then another etc.

What next? Maybe Fiat will produce that Maserati SUV they've been threatening us with for a while. How about a Ferrari Kalahari? Or a Pagani Bundu? Or here's a thought for the VW bean-counters: A Bugatti Everest? A Maybach 61 (as in inches from the ground)?

...Mommy, make it stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper
    Sadly, thats why the auto industry exists The whole game is about money...why else do they make cars?

We have Cayennes, MLs, X5s and Q7s. These from companies 15 years ago you'd never think would produce fake-roaders. Porsche being the most shocking for me personally.

Porsche is understandable though, the Cayenne being a necessary evil. Porsche was once in trouble of being sold, now they own VW. The Cayenne increased their profits and therefore secured a great sportscar manufacturer.

But what's the point of a Bentley SUV other than pure greed from VW? Bentley's in no trouble whatsoever! Heck, they've already been taken over...

This snowball needs to be stopped before it goes any further. If VW goes ahead with this, just imagine the repurcussions. Some other brand will want a piece of the pie, then another, then another etc.

What next? Maybe Fiat will produce that Maserati SUV they've been threatening us with for a while. How about a Ferrari Kalahari? Or a Pagani Bundu? Or here's a thought for the VW bean-counters: A Bugatti Everest? A Maybach 61 (as in inches from the ground)?

...Mommy, make it stop!
    IMO thats a load of shite. (no offense its only my opinion...)

Porche does not own VW, to my knowledge they only brought out a percentage

And WTF...since when do you need to be in trouble to have permission granted to build a premium SUV?? Please explain.

You can't say that its bad for luxo car makers to make SUVs... but it's allright for Porche to make the Cayenne simply because they were in trouble. That's the dumbest thing Ive ever heard (no offense ).

Its a segment and the more competitors there are, the better. Competition is actually a good thing. I dont need to explain that .

And the impression I got was that premium SUVs are an evil force and need to be stopped....adrenaline does not approve

Oh and on thread topic, the Bently SUV artist's impression looks fugly.
    Last edited by adrenaline; 07-02-2006 at 01:45 AM.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Porche does not own VW, to my knowledge they only brought out a percentage

And WTF...since when do you need to be in trouble to have permission gramted to build a premium SUV?? Please explain.

You can't say that its alright for Porche to make the Cayenne simply because they were in trouble. That's the dumbest thing Ive ever heard (no offense ).

No offense taken.

You're right, Porsche doesn't own VW. Last I heard, they were looking to get a 25% stake in VW which would've made them the controlling party. It goes much deeper than that though. Ferdinand Piech (one of VW's bigshots) is Ferdinand Porsche's grandson. When looked at in that way, Porsche already owns VW. That's not a fact btw, just some more Kooper-logic

Porsche wasn't really in trouble when they decided to build the Cayenne, but the Cayenne sure helped to get Porsche further away from their once troubled times.

And yes, competition is a good thing, but the sport that's played sucks sometimes. By that I mean I personally don't want to see manufacturers compete for the top of the pops in the SUV categories as I pretty much can't stand SUVs. Off-road capable SUVs are a different thing of course, and I hope I'm not going to open a can of worms where people start arguing which SUVs can go off-road and which can't, personally I don't care.

I'm talking about the SUVs that are bought as status-symbols. You know, the ones that only see the occassional dust-speck, is used to storm as close to the car in front's rear-bumper, the one that's used to see how fast you can go around a bend before it tips over etc. The type a Bentley SUV will no-doubt be.

No manufacturer needs to be in trouble to be granted permission to build anything. I just wish it wasn't necessary for them to build fake-Roaders to increase profits, that's all.

It is unfair of me in a way to blame the manufacturers, since if there wasn't such a humongous demand for these types of vehicles then there'd be no reason to build it.

This is just the ramblings of a mad old man that doesn't like SUVs basically...

...Mommy, make it stop!
    I can't agree with the Porsche thing. Yes they were in trouble in the mid nineties, when their only car was the 911, juast after the 928 and 968 reached the end of their lives and just before the Boxster was launched. But then the Boxster was launched and it was a hit for Porsche, so that when they launched the Cayenne (2003), they were more than saved. In my opinion Porsche management have become egarer to win more and more money, not realising, that the Cayenne could in the end bite them in the hands...

Oh and about Fiat Group, be prettu sure that the Alfa Romeo Kamal will reach production sooner or later, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if a Kamal-derived Maserati Kubang also reached production. Altough this time those cars could actually end up saving them...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Porsche wasn't really in trouble when they decided to build the Cayenne, but the Cayenne sure helped to get Porsche further away from their once troubled times.
    Pretty much says what you say

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I can't agree with the Porsche thing. Yes they were in trouble in the mid nineties, when their only car was the 911, juast after the 928 and 968 reached the end of their lives and just before the Boxster was launched. But then the Boxster was launched and it was a hit for Porsche, so that when they launched the Cayenne (2003), they were more than saved.

I agree with your Fiat Group statement. It's still just sad to me that manufacturers would resort to building SUVs rather than first getting their existing range up to scratch, improving quality, adding excitement, improving client-satisfaction etc. I have to give Fiat some credit though: I understand the Grande Punto is highly regarded, the 159 is making a big splash, the Maser range is loved all over and the Panda's a smash-hit.
    If I had my way I'd have them can their SUV plans and rather get them to introduce more cars like the Competizione and actually building it, which I gather they are going to do. I also understand that their new 169 will be based on Quattroporte underpinnings which should spice up things nicely.
    Also let's see a new Integrale while we're at it!

I'm getting ahead of myself here...

The point is that I think SUVs (the soft image-massaging type) are an evil that should be eliminated.

I hate when Porsche (and now Bentley, apparently) decide to build a quasi-SUV (which I/we hate), and just slap on the front-end styling of their respective sports cars (996 911 for the Cayenne, and apparently the CGT for this fugly piece of tripe ) onto a tank body. It doesn't work, and I think if they're going to build them, the least they could do is make them look good.

But I'd rather they didn't build them at all
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Aren't their cars as big and heavy as SUVs anyway?

I agree with your Fiat Group statement. It's still just sad to me that manufacturers would resort to building SUVs rather than first getting their existing range up to scratch, improving quality, adding excitement, improving client-satisfaction etc. I have to give Fiat some credit though: I understand the Grande Punto is highly regarded, the 159 is making a big splash, the Maser range is loved all over and the Panda's a smash-hit.
    If I had my way I'd have them can their SUV plans and rather get them to introduce more cars like the Competizione and actually building it, which I gather they are going to do. I also understand that their new 169 will be based on Quattroporte underpinnings which should spice up things nicely.
    Also let's see a new Integrale while we're at it!

I'm getting ahead of myself here...

The point is that I think SUVs (the soft image-massaging type) are an evil that should be eliminated.
    The thing is fiat seems to be on a bit of a roll these days. The first images of the Fiat 500 test cars have been seen on the net, and luckily it seems the car will be faithful to the Trepiuno concept. The new Fiat C-segment hatchback also is on advanced stage of development and is expected to be unveiled before the end of the year (probably in Paris). As you've said both the Grande Punto and the Panda are big hits. And the Sedici is nearly sold out for the first year of production, Fiat has asked Suzuki to up the production in order to cope with demand.

This in turn resultts in good news for the brands of the group, like Alfa Romeo. They've just introduced the 159 (saloon and estate), Brera and Spider. And the cars seem to be pretty good, having improved dramatically in built quality. The 149 (147 substitute) is said to be introduced late next year, and it will be an advanced car with double wishbone suspension all round. The 8C has already been given the gree light for porduction, probably with the new Maserati-Alfa Romeo 4.7-litre V8, and it'll be presented in Paris. 500 coupes and 500 spiders will be made. And as you've said the 169 is meant to be based in the M139 platform (Quattroporte's), which means that Alfa Romeo will be returning to RWD. Oh and as a final note for Alfa, there are rumours for a 159 WTCC Stradale, with RWD and high revving 2-litre engine, a la 320si.

As for Lancia plans are more scarce, but they will be having new cars as well, a Grande Punto based CC car (yuck...) and a new C-segment hatchback with shares underpinnings with the 149. Finally the Fulvia could be produced on the Premium platform, and could end up beign RWD. The Ypsilon will be facelifted before the end of the year and will gain better and more powerful engines.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    HAHA a bentley SUV. that would surely the end of the automotive industry.
    Well, there do exist a few Bentley SUVs - the Dominators (four iirc) build for the Sultan of Brunei. Yet still, the automotive industry is alive and kicking from what I see (well, at least alive ).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Flynn
    Aren't their cars as big and heavy as SUVs anyway?
    Good point
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Burns
    Good point
    Then imagine a Bentley SUV... that's the end of the world...
    Visca Catalunya!

HA HA HA ....nastyyyyy

If you are going to revive a thread, at least have something constructive to say.
    Welcome to ucp.

If they produce that I will offically lose any faith I had in VW for having good taste.

good thing would be if audi/vw had these plans:
    1.replace q7 with a newer allroad quattro and nuvolari
    2.replace toureg with something else, not sure what as long as it's not an SUV or pickup
    3.replace cayenne with new 914,944 and 928
    4.make a street legal version of bentley speed 8 or hundaries concept

Thread Information