Page 27 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: "What's this car?" Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    that's a one-off ferrari built for the Sultan of brunei i think.
    and as usual sc.net is very scarce on info on the cars they are actually showing. See some of their galleries.....the one on silverstone will make you both laugh and feeling annoyed...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

CHOP!

The front bumper is WELL on the the piss!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    and as usual sc.net is very scarce on info on the cars they are actually showing. See some of their galleries.....the one on silverstone will make you both laugh and feeling annoyed...
    yeah, i know what you mean. but, isn't the owner of this site also the owner of sc.net? cuz that's what someone posted somewhere on this site

Quote Originally Posted by gt4forever
    yeah, i know what you mean. but, isn't the owner of this site also the owner of sc.net? cuz that's what someone posted somewhere on this site
    no. the owner of this site knows the owner of sc.net personally very well (and so do I) but he does not "own" sc.net, maybe only in figurative speech
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

http://www.freewebs.com/carpictures1...7.06update.htm

I know this is a Lancia, but is it a Beta?
    " You may be a Ferrari owner but, you may not necessarly be a Ferrari driver" Enzo Ferrari

that is a Lancia Gamma Coupe.

Almost right. Actually it's a seven-off The car is callled Ferrari FX (not to be confused with Enzo prototype of the same name). According to my best knowledge (which might not be enough ) it was build in seven examples between 1994 and 1996. It was based on the F512M and featured a flat 12-cylinder enginea and a 7-speed sequential transmission developed by Williams-BMW or ProDrive (or maybe ProDrive made it for Williams-BMW?). Six of these cars are supposedly owned by the SoB and one (probably the dark blue one on the photo) belongs to someone in the US (Dick Marconi?).
    Quite a frequent discussion topic on automotive forums (like all of the SoB cars )
    check:
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ght=ferrari+fx
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    Almost right. Actually it's a seven-off The car is callled Ferrari FX (not to be confused with Enzo prototype of the same name).
    I didn't read all your links and the supercar link didn't work for me. However years ago an Aussie magazine interviewed the Sultan in Brunei, and this article featured a red car of similar appearance IIRC. It was then touted as being a special, previously secret one-off vehicle commissioned by the Sultan, and referred to and identified as a - or more correctly the - Ferrari FXX. A much later story showed pics of a red FXX (the same car?) stored among hundreds of other exotics and covered in dust, in declining condition
    Last edited by nota; 08-15-2006 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    I didn't read all your links and the supercar link didn't work for me. However years ago an Aussie magazine interviewed the Sultan in Brunei, and this article featured a red car of similar appearance IIRC. It was then touted as being a special, previously secret one-off vehicle commissioned by the Sultan, and referred to and identified as a - or more correctly the - Ferrari FXX. A much later story showed pics of a red FXX (the same car?) stored among hundreds of other exotics and covered in dust, in declining condition
    Was the car that you're reffering to a convertible? If so, it was the Mythos, which has a rather similar appearance.

Also, ironically, I saw the FX just today in Mr. Marconi's collection. Pics shall be available in a month. Mr. Dick Marconi is a magnificently gentleman, his collection consisting of 3 of the Sultan's cars.
    The story behind the car goes as follows:

One of the sultan's relatives - not entirely sure which one exactly - would write a $30,000,000 personal check to Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls, Merc and several others EACH MONTH. In return, they got the one offs, rarest versions etc. Included were the Ferrari FXs (although Mr. Marconi's preview boards showed that only 1 exists).
    The particular car in question was driven by said relative, but eventually he wanted a different transmission put in, so he sent off the car to Mr. Frank Williams I think it was (I have the info in a brochure, not on me though), who charged $1,000,000 for the transmission. The deposit for this was $300,000, with the rest being paid upon completion - as is customary. The work was done, but by then the little disagreement had ensued, and the cashflow was restricted, if not cut off. Mr. Williams did not like the fact that his work worth much more would be done for only $300,000, so he kept the whole thing as collateral. Once it was in his possesion he contacted Mr. Marconi, who bought it for $1,000,000 I believe. It's still in perfect condition in his collection today, in the dark blue paintwork (personally selected by the buyer), and sits next to (1 of 2) a dark green Ferrari 456 Venice Spyder, also of the Sultan's collection.

As I said I have photos, but they won't be available untill I have access to my home computer again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3
    One of the sultan's relatives - not entirely sure which one exactly - would write a $30,000,000 personal check to Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls, Merc and several others EACH MONTH. In return, they got the one offs, rarest versions etc. Included were the Ferrari FXs (although Mr. Marconi's preview boards showed that only 1 exists).
    The particular car in question was driven by said relative, but eventually he wanted a different transmission put in, so he sent off the car to Mr. Frank Williams I think it was (I have the info in a brochure, not on me though), who charged $1,000,000 for the transmission. The deposit for this was $300,000, with the rest being paid upon completion - as is customary. The work was done, but by then the little disagreement had ensued, and the cashflow was restricted, if not cut off. Mr. Williams did not like the fact that his work worth much more would be done for only $300,000, so he kept the whole thing as collateral. Once it was in his possesion he contacted Mr. Marconi, who bought it for $1,000,000 I believe. It's still in perfect condition in his collection today, in the dark blue paintwork (personally selected by the buyer), and sits next to (1 of 2) a dark green Ferrari 456 Venice Spyder, also of the Sultan's collection.
    Thanks for the story Sauc3! I always wondered how it was possible that one of the FXs is in hands of Dick Marconi. After all these cars were made esp. for SoB and I didn't think he would've appreciated it being sold to someone else. But this story explains it. I suspect that sudden cashflow termination might have been one of the results of prince Jeffri (sp?), sultan's brother, being cast away for frauding billions of dollars. It was then, that the Sultan ceased deliveries of new cars, sent back all the mechanics and closed all the garages.
    Do you know maybe also how the 456 Venices came into posession of Mr. Marconi? I believe ha owns not only a spyder but also a break?
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Was the car that you're reffering to a convertible?

Hmm, on reflection it seems I have posted a red herring. The vehicle mentioned in those magazines was indeed a Ferrari FX, and must have been referred to as such - it was not an FXX as I incorrectly remembered

The original magazine article was from approx 10 years ago and I haven't opened it since. In general I'm probably out of my depth in exoticar discussions like this, and am sorry if I've caused any confusion ..

I don't know about the 456 Break, but I'm positive about the FX and Venice (see attachment).

Nota, no problem, is the article the one in the following link? http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...2&postcount=39

I cannot take credit for the scans, but the photo is mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nota, no problem, is the article the one in the following link? http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...2&postcount=39
    Cheers mate

No the articles were from either Modern Motor (probably) or Wheels, who initially did a feature on the Sultan's absurd collection and within that was a 'reveal' of the FX (Enzo-style doors & perspex beetleback). Then perhaps a couple of years later a small follow-up mention and pics on this car as it lapsed into disuse. Sorry, I've too many tons of magazines to sort through but IIRC I think the original story was related or accented towards the Sultan's interest in and purchases of early HSV cars

I remember reading such an article in a 1995 Wheels magazine - they snuck a camera into the Garage and started happy-snapping IIRC.

The Bolide was present and accounted for.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Cheers mate

No the articles were from either Modern Motor (probably) or Wheels, who initially did a feature on the Sultan's absurd collection and within that was a 'reveal' of the FX (Enzo-style doors & perspex beetleback). Then perhaps a couple of years later a small follow-up mention and pics on this car as it lapsed into disuse. Sorry, I've too many tons of magazines to sort through but IIRC I think the original story was related or accented towards the Sultan's interest in and purchases of early HSV cars
    http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...24&postcount=2

The ENTIRE list of the Brunei cars, including Holdens.

Thread Information