Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Before i leave for a holiday in Italy...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Overall i think it's a pity that you only see three or four car-related thread when looking at the "latest forum topics".
    UCP isn't only an automotive forum, it's a lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I'd get numerous PM's from people like (yes, I will use your names) Cotterik, Exige, Mustang, and 6'bore concerning the matter of their deleted or edited post, followed by a:

"WTF, this forum isn't what it used to be and it's all the moderators' faults. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?!?!"
    Yep. Suddenly everyone decided to question what mods do. And honestly I would like to see what they'd do if they were in our position.
    If we decide to let members have more freedom of speech, then we get hand-tied when it comes to moderate newcomers.
    I can't accept those complaints about lack of free speech, cause I've never been moderated and yet I always said everything I wanted. I just avoided swearing and insulting.

Now, I'm here to defend myself. I am doing my job, but usually it's unseen and unappreciated, which doesn't matter to me because I'm following the duties of my moderator position.
    You're doing it very well BTW. But people tend to react differently to someone, once he's honoured with a responsability. You'll often feel that during your professional life.

This last few months, my moderation actions have been all questioned by everyone. Funny enough, 6speed has been the only one who recently reacted gently to a moderation and a PM from me. It earned him some respect. Because one thing is having a bad moment on the forums. But being stubborn, not accepting the rules, crying for a democratic or anarquist system, is a bit childish and offensive, and a total different thing. Not to mention some very harsh reactions to PM's that I've had from respected members who think they are above the rules. But that's another story.
    My point is: everyone knows there are rules. I belong and moderate on another forums where rules are more tight and yet people can have fun, tease others, laugh about it and we rarely have to moderate anyone and it's very, very rare to see a fight between members. So I guess the difference is maturity and respect for rules. The lack of maturity is sometimes a consequence of the age average being very low. But that has a good side too. I like to see youngsters trying to learn, I like to read some of their crazyness, etc.. It makes me feel younger. But people, we have rules. And they aren't strict. So let's all make an effort to live with them.

Some of you already said I'm being ironic when I say this, but the truth is, we don't get a kick out of baning and editing. It would be a lot more fun if we didn't have to. I have no appetite for conflict and I don't think others mods have it either.

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    One of the most annoying things tends to be when long standing members feel they have more rights than the general forum population and so are quick to judge and ridicule new members. When mod's get pissed at these actions they get huffy and threaten to leave. Peope really need to consider that as a community that its up to everyone to make the forum better not just to start blamming the mods or individual members.
    It's not just towards new members. I have recently been directly insulted by a long time member who then even got annoyed when I've asked him by PM to justify his actions, or otherwise I would have to ban him. He has shown a total lack of respect by me as either a member and a moderator. I didn't edit his post or ban him. If this isn't relaxed moderation...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I think the forum rules do not deviate much from what you expect of normal communication between human beings. If everybody would just stick to that, then there would be no problem.
    You expect too much from "normal communication" standards of this days.
    But of course that I doubt most of this members were so "masculine" if they had to say things face-to-face.
    Last edited by McReis; 07-14-2006 at 08:20 AM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I think you guys are all doing a great job keep it up!
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Some of you already said I'm being ironic when I say this, but the truth is, we don't get a kick out of baning and editing. It would be a lot more fun if we didn't have to. I have no appetite for conflict and I don't think others mods have it either.
    Hallelujah. We're not on a power-trip, to tell you guys the truth, banning, editing, and deleting posts are a pain in the ass.

Hallelujah. We're not on a power-trip, to tell you guys the truth, banning, editing, and deleting posts are a pain in the ass.
    Especially banning is quite a hassle, but sometimes it is just required. We have just sent a high profile member for a six day holiday, because of his abusive remarks pointed at various members including a mod. This makes me very sad.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    I think you guys are all doing a great job keep it up!
    Thanks, hope you're not trying to gain some brownie points here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    The log that shows all moderator activity.
    can you be more specific? is it something only mods and you can see? and how would it look "negative"

if we could rate mods on how well they are doing, that would solve this problem asap
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Especially banning is quite a hassle, but sometimes it is just required. We have just sent a high profile member for a six day holiday, because of his abusive remarks pointed at various members including a mod. This makes me very sad.
    Ya rly eh? hes got over 5000 post and hes supporting, wonder whats up with him?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Ya rly eh? hes got over 5000 post and hes supporting, wonder whats up with him?
    His attitude. Stereotyping people, and being offensive to other users, and a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    can you be more specific? is it something only mods and you can see? and how would it look "negative"

if we could rate mods on how well they are doing, that would solve this problem asap
    No that's an admin only thing. To see if there are any rogue moderators, which there are obviously not.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

No not at all, I just think this thread is rather rude. Sure UCP has there flame wars we all contribute into them but all in all its a fun forum with a lot of good people on it. But its just like real life there will be problems nobodys perfect so you can suck it up or complain about it like a little kid.

Thanks, hope you're not trying to gain some brownie points here though.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

To be honest I don't quite see what's wrong with this forum. Moderators do a good job and members are (usually) very friendly and ready to help. To be honest I've never had a problem here and I'm happy to be on this forum.

...oh sh*t, I’ve just said “To be honest” twice... someone should ban me for that...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    To be honest I don't quite see what's wrong with this forum. Moderators do a good job and members are (usually) very friendly and ready to help. To be honest I've never had a problem here and I'm happy to be on this forum.

...oh sh*t, I’ve just said “To be honest” twice... someone should ban me for that...
    I wish

What a load of bullshit.

Adapt with the times or piss off if you don't like it.

Things have changed, and a recent influx of members leaving and idiotic posts (some of them mine, I know my place...) have made life here a little different, not the sort of barren wasteland hell that has been made out.

Grow up. UCP is not a democracy, what the mods say, goes.

I see nothing wrong with this place, and will keep coming back for more. Particularly to deal with cowards who post something as immature as this and take off for a couple of weeks for a bit of la dolce vita.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    What a load of bullshit.

Adapt with the times or piss off if you don't like it.

Things have changed, and a recent influx of members leaving and idiotic posts (some of them mine, I know my place...) have made life here a little different, not the sort of barren wasteland hell that has been made out.

Grow up. UCP is not a democracy, what the mods say, goes.
    I see nothing wrong with this place, and will keep coming back for more. Particularly to deal with cowards who post something as immature as this and take off for a couple of weeks for a bit of la dolce vita.
    Carefull our site might get invaded...

Thread Information