Thread: Superchargers 101

Superchargers 101

[not sure if this is in the right place, if not please move it]

I was thinking of putting a supercharger in my car, but I have a lot of questions like
    which kind is the best, [screw, centrifugal, fan etc...],
    do all superchargers work for all cars, or do i need to get one for my engine [3.8 V6],
    where is the best place to get them, i was thinking ebay,
    and do i need to buy anyother parts, like a new drive blet or air intake system etc?

Thanks

It will all depend upon what car it is you have.

You cannot just use any supercharger on any engine, an aftermarket supercharger will need a model-specific installation to be able to work on a particular car. I suggest your best bet would be to try to find a site/forum that is dedicated to the particular model of car you own, and try to find out through there whether anyone has any experience of supercharging that car.

Without telling us what car you own there is not really a lot we can do for you here...
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    It will all depend upon what car it is you have.

You cannot just use any supercharger on any engine, an aftermarket supercharger will need a model-specific installation to be able to work on a particular car. I suggest your best bet would be to try to find a site/forum that is dedicated to the particular model of car you own, and try to find out through there whether anyone has any experience of supercharging that car.

Without telling us what car you own there is not really a lot we can do for you here...
    Sorry I left out informtion on what kind of car i own, it's a 1987 Thunderbird LX with 3.8L V6. [any more info can be found here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2315251] and i have looked for forums dedicated to my modle of car, but the t-bird isn't really popular to talk about on the internet.

The cheapest and most effective solution is probably to sell your car and buy the (stock supercharged) SuperCoupe model of the same car. Not only will it be pre-tuned and sure to be reliable, you'll gain value as opposed to throwing away money on a supercharger, which would barely increase the value of your current car.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    The cheapest and most effective solution is probably to sell your car and buy the (stock supercharged) SuperCoupe model of the same car. Not only will it be pre-tuned and sure to be reliable, you'll gain value as opposed to throwing away money on a supercharger, which would barely increase the value of your current car.
    Yes, however I can get a supercharger for 80-130 on ebay, very cheep, and i like my car, it has features on it that most new cars today don't even have, also my car has low milage and is in good shape for its age, as well as to find a supercoupe in my area about the same age/pricerange as my car is near impossable
    Last edited by FrenchBread; 07-16-2006 at 08:00 PM.

You could also look up reputable local tunning shops and see what they have for your car.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    You could also look up reputable local tunning shops and see what they have for your car.
    Maybe it's not so, but to me that means a lot more $$$

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchBread
    Maybe it's not so, but to me that means a lot more $$$
    Just see what they recomend for your car, then you can search for it on e-bay.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Yes, however I can get a supercharger for 80-130 on ebay, very cheep, and i like my car, it has features on it that most new cars today don't even have, also my car has low milage and is in good shape for its age, as well as to find a supercoupe in my area about the same age/pricerange as my car is near impossable
    lol, those superchargers are probably not worth it.
    Do a V8 swap.

hmmm..
    why don't you buy a musting used engine, i think it will fit on 1987 Thunderbird LX
    and the musting engine worth a supercharg

You could probably swap in the Ferrari Enzo V12, and if you're crazy twin-turbo that.

Wow, that is a good example of American design right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    lol, those superchargers are probably not worth it.
    Do a V8 swap.
    I would love to do that, however i dont have the no-how to do it myself, otherwise i say forget the V6

I would love to do that, however i dont have the no-how to do it myself, otherwise i say forget the V6
    Join up some t-bird forums, Im sure they have V8 swap write ups. It should be a breeze since your car has an option for a V8 (should be the same as the Mustangs). That means the engine mounts (and transmission mounts if a new tranny is needed) would be a direct bolt in.

Here is from a quick google search:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/209646
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...splay.php?f=57
    Last edited by Slicks; 07-17-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Join up some t-bird forums, Im sure they have V8 swap write ups. It should be a breeze since your car has an option for a V8 (should be the same as the Mustangs). That means the engine mounts (and transmission mounts if a new tranny is needed) would be a direct bolt in.

Here is from a quick google search:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/209646
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...splay.php?f=57
    Thanks, for giving me the forum addresses, i already saw project novicane, that's what i'd like to do to it some day [though i don't know if it will work cuz of all the digital stuff i have like it tells me my instant mpg etc], but i don't think a write-up will be enough to make me have the skill to do an engine swap.

Thread Information