Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bikes

Bikes

ok so everybody i am going to purchase a new bike. in my mind right now i am highly considering a Trek 7.3 FX with disc brakes. like this one on thier site http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1328010&f=26 i looked at it and it seems very nice. kind of expensive. so i'm wondering what you all think about it. if its worth it, how good treks are and if i need the disc brakes. also any other helpful information would be much appreciated. thank you all in advance and i hope for some helpfull respones.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Haven't ridden that one, but disc brakes are awesome, as is full suspension if you can get it, I like Trek, at least from what I've ridden.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

What do you want if for? I mean the FX seems to have personality issues: not road and not mountain... It seems too pricey for a non specialized bike. I couldn't find how much it weights.

I'd be willing to pay less than USD$1,600 for a "cross dresser" like the FX. It doesn't even have clip on pedals!

I was looking for a roadie recently and found quite good products for aprox USD$1400.
    Zag when they Zig

full suspension i had and it robbs too much power, im through with mountains. i want speed but i don't want the uncomfort of a road and the tires are too thin for city riding where curbs become an issue. thats why u like this bike. it weighs say 25-30 lbs. 24 or so gears. 700 wheels. its an overall good bike
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Great comuting style bike, the Cro-Mo fork is better for rough usage than CF forks.

The Hayes MX-2s are not a great deal better than a V, but will leave less brake residue on tryes/rims and the rider, for best results with cable discs get Avids.

Nice bike for what it sounds like what you want to do.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    Haven't ridden that one, but disc brakes are awesome
    Sweeping statement much? Most of budget cable discs are more for show than braking quality and as a result aren't even as good as a half decent set of V-brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    Sweeping statement much? Most of budget cable discs are more for show than braking quality and as a result aren't even as good as a half decent set of V-brakes.
    Well the Discs that I've used were way better than any V-brakes I'v ever used. So I guess it really depends on the overall quality of the bike, and I don't know enough about the bike market to say whether they are or not.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

$1,600 on a bicycle? If I was going to spend that much on a bike I'd expect it to have a motor.

My bike was £250 and works fine.

Yeah, you could get a decent Specialized for about $700.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    $1,600 on a bicycle? If I was going to spend that much on a bike I'd expect it to have a motor.

My bike was £250 and works fine.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa...

My Chapparal is worth $2200.00, and my cheep bike is worth around $1000.00, if your cheap bike works for then I am glad for you. If you rode your cheap bike on what some of us ride then you'll be busy paying for busted parts.
    Eveyone has to say that "I'd expect a motor bit" and all I do is look at them and laugh, because you'll never understand.

edit: I agree with Cyco. If you are looking at a hybrid/commuter type of bike then that one is as good as any. I still prefer 26" wheels with some 2.0 semi-slick tires for better grip and pinch-flat resistance. The disc brakes are not going to be as good as a proper set of hydraulic's. In my experience here in Vancouver, some cable discs are worse than a good set of v-brakes, so you could maybe think about bumping up to a set of Avid BB7 mech disc brakes. Believe me, I have a set of Hayes mech disc's and my Tektro v's are better, at the moment anyway.
    Last edited by KonaGreen; 07-18-2006 at 04:57 PM.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Quote Originally Posted by KonaGreen
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa...

edit: I agree with Cyco. If you are looking at a hybrid/commuter type of bike then that one is as good as any. I still prefer 26" wheels with some 2.0 semi-slick tires for better grip and pinch-flat resistance. The disc brakes are not going to be as good as a proper set of hydraulic's. In my experience here in Vancouver, some cable discs are worse than a good set of v-brakes, so you could maybe think about bumping up to a set of Avid BB7 mech disc brakes. Believe me, I have a set of Hayes mech disc's and my Tektro v's are better, at the moment anyway.
    i understand that a more expensive bike will be better thus the reason for gettting this one. now the discs are the main problem. i kno v-brakes are damn good. but dun work as well if their is residue on the rim and they wear quikly and unevenly and what not. the guy told me discs are jsut as good and more reliable to work in more situations. the pads dun need changing as often and if the rim bends or warps the tire won't go back and forth hitting the brakes as it would with v's. and with such a thin tire, that is a bit of my conern and the discs look cool
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Discs may look cool, but they need to work good first, look good second. If you think that the bike will work for YOU then go for it man. A bike has to work for it's owner, not some guy over the internet But here's the thing, if you feel that those brakes aren't doing it for you, then try to see if the shop would be willing to give you some sort of part exchange on a set Avid BB7' s. The Avid's are the best mechanical disc brakes. Period.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

get a huffy
    pondering things

Thinking sideways, I bet you could buy a great lightly used bike with that budget...

Either way I'd go with a slick shod mountain bike as some one sugested.
    Zag when they Zig

i whote go fore the 7.5 Disc because the overall mounting of the drive train is better and you get the avid BB5 disc brakes
    i think those are a lot better then the Hayes MX-2

My last bike coste my € 2.000,--
    and i make bikes ad my work from € 1.500,-- to € 4.000.--
    here is a picture of my bike
    14.jpg
    Last edited by mavanhaasteren; 07-18-2006 at 08:46 PM.
    Ferrari Is The Best

Thread Information