Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is The Best Car ever?

there you go... wait... oh damn, i just got burned... damn it!
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Well then best car should probably be a super saloon. Good performance, comfort, practicality... they have nearly everything.
    But the thing is, the McLaren does everything the super-saloon can do, and it's more fun, it sounds better, it's faster, more reliable.

Put it this way. What would you rather be in ... A McLaren F1 or an Audi?

McLaren F1... Audi is not for me.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox
    McLaren F1... Audi is not for me.
    Call me crazy, but I would prefer the Audi. I am not into low slung , high performance machines. An S8 on the other is a performance machine in my books and is the type of car that is perfect. High performance with all the luxury I could ever need. Either that or the new Volvo C70. The 2 best cars out there. And I just know I'm gonna get roasted for saying that.

Imo, most british cars from the 60's and 70's. They eventually return all it's parts and fluids back to the earth by dropping them on the road and leaking all the time.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

It'd be awfully hard to beat a series one Ferrari GTO in my book, but then again it's a totally subjective question.

If I was a smarmy asshole who wore a suit to work, then a BMW M5 would be just the ticket, if I had a salt-flat on my property I'd totally dig a Veyron or one of those wacky Callaway Wedgehammer Griddlebrick ZR1's that threaten to go over 250. If I was uber-rich I'd comission a custom one-off Ferrari and monopolize the best car ever question, but somebody's beaten me to that so it's right out...
    But ultimately, I'm not going to pick one car to spend my life lusting after when I can imagine being so rich that I could have all of them. I'd have an F-40 to scare the neighbors, a Bentley Continental Red Label for county-line beer runs, a McLaren F1 because you've just got to have one, a Popemobile for getting in good with the faithful on Sunday and a Diablo in case I want to impress that sexy Portugese Satanist chick who works at the video rental place down the road. I'd have a 4.5 litre Bentley Le Mans Racer for doing donuts in my own driveway and running over hedges and birdbaths while cackling wildly in my Edwardian driving suit and leather goggles, I'd have a Mercedes 300SL for historic Rallys and an A-Class for dodging Elk. Most importantly though, I'd have a Fiat 500 Jolly, because nothing makes panties hit the floor like showing up in a car that looks like Freddy Prinze Jr. designed it.

Some poor saps would even say that the original Chrystler Caravan Minivan was the best car ever
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    But the thing is, the McLaren does everything the super-saloon can do, and it's more fun, it sounds better, it's faster, more reliable.

Put it this way. What would you rather be in ... A McLaren F1 or an Audi?
    But in a let's say Audi RS4 you can carry 2 more people than in the McLaren, so that makes objectively better than the F1 in that aspect. I'm not saying that the Audi RS4 is better than the McLaren F1, what I'm trying to say is that the McLaren F1 is not necessarily the best car ever, that depends on who is sayin it, or for what is going to be used.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Volvoman
    Call me crazy, but I would prefer the Audi. I am not into low slung , high performance machines. An S8 on the other is a performance machine in my books and is the type of car that is perfect. High performance with all the luxury I could ever need. Either that or the new Volvo C70. The 2 best cars out there. And I just know I'm gonna get roasted for saying that.
    i cant say anything about that... i like volvo's myself!
    -Rita Mae Brown-

what I'm trying to say is that the McLaren F1 is not necessarily the best car ever, that depends on who is sayin it, or for what is going to be used.
    A good point, but I think (when asking the question what is the best car ever?) you have to judge the car based on what 'you could do' rather than 'what it can do' - if that makes sense?

Using the RS4 and McLaren F1 to illustrate what I mean, the RS4 is a four-door saloon car with five seats; apparently it has a great engine but it's a bit too far forward; it has a good size boot so you can carry stuff in it. But so does the M5 and the E55 AMG and the Maserati Quattreporte and countless other quick saloons.

The F1 on the other hand (for all intents and purposes) is a two-door, 'two-seater' supercar coupe - pitching it against the F40, Zonda F etc etc. Except it doesn't have two seats, it has three. It also has lots of luggage space, a central driving position so no matter where you are it will always feel the same to drive and, for the kid in you, it's made by an F1 team as the ultimate road car! Of course there are many more reasons it's great.

However, my point is that the McLaren F1 pushed the boundaries dicated by its fundamental purpose more than any other car, in the sense that it's three seater layout, luggage space and so-on set it a notch above every one of its serious competitors. It compromises purposes without actually comprimising anything from its basic 'fast car, handle nice' core principals.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

I think stating that the F1 is a 3-seater is technically correct. However to compare the confort of those extra seats with those of saloon is a bit over the top.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I think stating that the F1 is a 3-seater is technically correct. However to compare the confort of those extra seats with those of saloon is a bit over the top.
    I wasn't, I was comparing it to every other two-door supercar.

Why can't you call the F1 a three seater?

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    I wasn't, I was comparing it to every other two-door supercar.

Why can't you call the F1 a three seater?
    He says you can, that it is a 3-seater.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

He says you can, that it is a 3-seater.
    D'oh!

I'd say the Lotus elise is the overall best sports car. Its fast, really fun to drive, it is the best handling car, easy to tweak, awsome price for such a car, has supurb fuel economy and is much more global now since its available in canada. But i'd prefer an exige lol.

the only thing is you cant really compare a sports car to a luxury car!

so when you say what is the best car... it should be what is the best sports car, or sedan, or luxury car... because some people like sports cars so they will say a ferrari, and some people will like luxury cars so they will say Bentley or something.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Thread Information