Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Power

Battery Power

The unveiling of the Tesla electric car got me thinking:

Does the output of the battery decline as the battery discharges?

This phenomenon happens with conventional batteries used in r/c cars.

depends on the type of battery and how you discharge it.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

For example the Tesla will use lithium-ion batteries.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by saying "how you discharge it". Maybe opting to floor the throttle as apposed to relaxed city driving?

Well the whole thing about the tesla car is a sham anyways perpetual motion is a physical impossiblity.

But about batteries I meant that most batteries have a rate of discharge that gets the most out of them. For example if you just ground a battery and let it go as fast as possible then you will not get as much out then if you had a more controled flow.

Most batteris have certain discharge properties and litium-ion tends to keep it's charge right up til the end.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    Well the whole thing about the tesla car is a sham anyways perpetual motion is a physical impossiblity.
    What? The Tesla car is just an all electric car (not hybrid) with a healthy dose of performance and good styling. I haven't seen them ever claim perpetual motion.

The only thing even close to perpetual motion from tesla is the regenerative breaking which is common among hybrid cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    What? The Tesla car is just an all electric car (not hybrid) with a healthy dose of performance and good styling. I haven't seen them ever claim perpetual motion.
    Sorry I thought he was talking about the electric car that tesla built that did claim to go forever without recharging.

This new car looks great but still needs better milage, fuel cells seem to have a slight advantage in distance and time-to-refuel/recharge.

Also I looked at the website and it says that the battery pack is temperature controled which helps greatly in increasing the number of cycles and the discharge curve the battery exibits.

This new car looks great but still needs better milage, fuel cells seem to have a slight advantage in distance and time-to-refuel/recharge.
    130mpg (1.8l/100k) not good enough for you? It'd do me fine
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    130mpg (1.8l/100k) not good enough for you? It'd do me fine
    How can you possibly have a mpg rating on a battery powered car?

What I meant was it can only go about 250miles (400km) on a single charge.

The amount of fuel burnt to generate the electricity to charge it converted to equal 1 gallon of petrol.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    The amount of fuel burnt to generate the electricity to charge it converted to equal 1 gallon of petrol.
    So the 138mpg is only accurate for a single fuel burning station in america?

because if you use coal how are you going to change that to gallons of petrol?

And what if you use nuclear energy, solar energy, or wind energy? What if you use water energy?

technically you could figure out the specific energies of nuclear and coal sources but how would you convert all the renewable sources?

Anyways a milage figure doesn't make any sense for a electric car it should have something like km (miles) per kWh. That would make sense. That would allow you to figure out how much it would cost to recharge the car and if you know how many kWhs the battery can contain and how many are left then you can figure out how far you can drive.

Anyways a milage figure doesn't make any sense for a electric car it should have something like km (miles) per kWh. That would make sense. That would allow you to figure out how much it would cost to recharge the car and if you know how many kWhs the battery can contain and how many are left then you can figure out how far you can drive.
    That'll mean nothing to someone who isn't an engineer, electrician etc. MPG is something that people know and recognise. The idea is that it costs the same to run as a petrol car which does 138mpg.
    – Hunter Thompson

Hmm well almost everyone I have talked to in my life has known what a kWh is and could use it in some simple equations but I guess americans needs things even more simple.

There is also no way that 138mpg rating is close to constant because electricity costs vary quite abit from city to city.

Hmm well almost everyone I have talked to in my life has known what a kWh is
    So they know it is a completely made up unit that is meaningless?

If energy companies actully wanted to charge people for power use your bill would be in Coloumbs.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    So they know it is a completely made up unit that is meaningless?

If energy companies actully wanted to charge people for power use your bill would be in Coloumbs.
    Umm what are you on about???

how do you figure kWh as a meaningless measure? It is the best measure for how much energy you are using, you are going to have to explain yourself here.

Also why would you use the Coulomb? because it is the SI unit of electric charge not power used?

Thread Information