Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why....

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    so is strapping a rocket to your ass, that doesn't make it enjoyable now does it ?
    Post of the day

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Speaking of which, even Mazda sell their MX-5 with paddle shift now!! So then what's the point of buying a supposely fun car like it?
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

so is strapping a rocket to your ass, that doesn't make it enjoyable now does it ?
    I wish I was in charge of awarding the Pulitzer prize for the most brutally honest post ever, however I can not. So I hope this conpensates KnifeEdge_2k1.

I meant that if it was on paper, a sequential gearbox would have more peformance than a manual transmission car. I never said anything about fun. A purist would have a different viewpoint from a person who wants performance but also loves technology.

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed
    Ok. I have to be brutally honest here.

I'm am royally pissed off with hearing about new clutchless transmissions, DSG's, Sequential and Automatic Sequential DSG with no Clutches.

These are not sporting transmissions. I do not care what Ferrari likes to say (Paddle Shifters "Just Like F1!"). Or what way Lamborghini Puts it (We're copying Ferrari! Yet Again!). Sure, the Bugatti Veyron is a fast car, but is it really that much fun if you can put it in drive?

No.

Here's what I want to see. I want to see a 7 Speed Manual Transmission.

Why has not one company thought of this? Because they figure you lazy american's all out there want a sporting Automatic. It's to hard for you to push your f****ing hand down and shift a gear, yet it's so f***ing easy for you to reach down and get your extra large double double. Well screw you BMW, Porsche, Lamborghini, Nissan, and Ferrari.

Most of us old school type like to feel those gears grind through our hands. We like the freedom of shifting via a big ball. Don't laugh. It's not as bad as laying your hand down on a long rigid stick hoping that thing will continue to move forward.

Although I can say this is a rant, I still want to know, why hasn't anyone made a 7 speed Manual?

Many of our mid and larger cities have a lot of heavy traffic in morning and evening travel time...where the flow is stop and go. It's no fun to to drive a manual in those conditions where you're holding the clutch in for an hour.

I prefer manual shift but I only have to deal with the above occasionally. I do admit that cars which have plenty of power and auto tranny it's kind of nice to just get in, relax and drive without having the shifting chore to do...it's called luxury.

I like manuals and I really don't think it's the end of the world having one in a traffic jam.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yeah,

i just don't agree with 6speed's stereotyping of Americans... I'm not American even though i live in NYC, far from it (I'm Hungarian by birth)... but even my american friends who like/love cars prefer manual trannys vs. automatics... its people who aren't car fanatics and/or just dont want to bother changing gears get automatics... and again, it does come down to choice... if someone wants to get a car with a manual, they'll get a car with a manual... it's that simple... its just that a lot of people like to be comfy
    "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"
    - ...?

These are not sporting transmissions. I do not care what Ferrari likes to say (Paddle Shifters "Just Like F1!"). Or what way Lamborghini Puts it (We're copying Ferrari! Yet Again!). Sure, the Bugatti Veyron is a fast car, but is it really that much fun if you can put it in drive?
    Your argument very is uninformed. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche/VW/Audi, etc. all offer every model with a paddle shift also with a manual transmission.
    Here's what I want to see. I want to see a 7 Speed Manual Transmission.
    Why? You should try and justify that. Your wanting a 7 speed for no reason makes no more sense than someone wanting and paddle shift for its ease of use and improved performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    Many of our mid and larger cities have a lot of heavy traffic in morning and evening travel time...where the flow is stop and go. It's no fun to to drive a manual in those conditions where you're holding the clutch in for an hour.
    Take the car out of gear and your foot off the clutch.

I like the idea of a 7 speed SMG, assuming it changes gear when you pull the lever, and not when it feels like it a few seconds afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Take the car out of gear and your foot off the clutch.

I like the idea of a 7 speed SMG, assuming it changes gear when you pull the lever, and not when it feels like it a few seconds afterwards.
    That isn't feasible in stop and go, the clutch must be worked.

It is, everytime you stop take it out of gear. Everytime you go put it in gear.

Lets not even go into the fact that the weight of a large shoe is enough to hold down the clutch in modern cars. (slight exageration, but only slight)

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    It is, everytime you stop take it out of gear. Everytime you go put it in gear.

Lets not even go into the fact that the weight of a large shoe is enough to hold down the clutch in modern cars. (slight exageration, but only slight)
    Look, in stop/go traffic of which i'm speaking you aren't stopped long enough to go to neutral for a rest...about the time you stop the traffic moves again for a very short distance then it's time to repeat. Understand?

I hate to split hairs on this but for a lot of ppl who have to deal with this issue everyday to/from work/school it isn't worth the hassle of having a manual, manuals are not for everyone.

Every car owner is not a die hard car enthusiast.

Ok mr lets gets this straight.

Out of all the Gallardo's sold in the US, how what perecentage of them have a 6speed?
    All of them, considering that you get a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed paddleshifter, both of which have 6 speeds.

I say we just ignore 6speed. His ideas are just childish. Which person in their right mind would want to get rid of performance automatic trannies just because he/she hates automatics. It just doesnt make sense.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

50 bucks says 6speed has never actually used an SMG/F1/paddleshift transmission on a high end car, or even on a track.
    sure, a manual may be more fun on the road but if you actually tried these systems then you might shut the hell up with your useless posts and realise why performance cars are starting to use them
    Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman
    All of them, considering that you get a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed paddleshifter, both of which have 6 speeds.
    rofl. owned.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 07-28-2006 at 07:52 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information