Thread: Read this.

Read this.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~Ove...~id~134864.htm

By jove, I think he's got it. I particularly like the super-technical harpin idea... out with the pay-per-drives!
    Last edited by MrKipling; 08-02-2006 at 11:17 AM.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

yeah its a really good and interesting read... let me see if i can try it out Downtown over the weekend
    "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"
    - ...?

Hmmm.... no comment.

Could you make the title a little more descriptive next time.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Indeed I could. Sorry.

Great finding!

I would like to comment that improving the infrastructure (race tracks) is a rather costly path to take in order to improve the spectacle. Race promoters are facing increasingly expensive fees in order to organise F1 races. As we all remember, historical tracks such as Spa, Hockenheim and Imola are facing difficult times financially-wise. Adding an extra cost might be too much!

Having said that, I believe that this is a very good idea to implement on newly-built racing tracks, or tracks that are hosting successful races financially-wise. For example it was claimed by an independent report (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17242.html) that the city of Bahrain gained $400 million from the F1 race. I am sure that they have lots of money to invest on the improvement of spectacle
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Well, it would be possible to trial the idea at an existing circuit for not a huge amount of cash. Possibly at one hairpin and a mid-speed corner on the same track - preferably one with few overtaking moves, like Magny Bore - and see if it makes a difference. You wouldn't want it on every corner though, I do like seeing a good defensive line.

Yeah, the cost of retrofitting old tracks would be enormous. I think it's more interesting when there's less passing. There's more strategy involved.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Yeah, the cost of retrofitting old tracks would be enormous. I think it's more interesting when there's less passing. There's more strategy involved.

I would never suggest that the strategy element should be removed... I love it! And even though I would be the first to say, "if you want overtaking, watch tin-tops" - there's nothing like seeing drivers properly take chunks out of each other in any series, and F1 would benefit from a few more obviously brave moves.

Then you guys start accusing the guy to be suicidal.

I don't really follow F1 but I occasionally watch it. What happened with Sato and Honda anyway?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...light=Honda+F1

Anyone care to explain?
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 08-02-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    But the strategy would be even more vital with more passing. If it's easier to pass, then you can't just rely on getting your pit strategy good and hoping it's better than everyone else's and nothing goes wrong. You'll have to get it perfect.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

thats right... now their strategies will be more complex.

this does sound like a good idea to me, with the retrofitting etc.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

The problem is not the track layouts, as other cars which aren't F1 can over take each other fine.

The problem is the cars.

Untill F1 decides whether it wants to be a series showcasing driver talent, or a series showcasing motorsport technology, it is stuck in a position where the technology involved prevents the drivers from overtaking.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    The problem is the cars.

Untill F1 decides whether it wants to be a series showcasing driver talent, or a series showcasing motorsport technology, it is stuck in a position where the technology involved prevents the drivers from overtaking.
    so true... Also often the cars are not equal at all. Some drivers always at te back(Midland and Super Aguri) ,the front 4-6,and then some in between. Only those three groups get a chance to battle eachother I'd say just give up F1 entirely and get a A1GP-ripoff

Thread Information