Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhausts....

I was thinking about the exhaust thing.
    Now this is conjecture, I don't know the truth.

BUT, diesel exhaust pollutant is the particles of soot.
    These are heavier than air and ARE nasty if ingested into our lungs.

If a truck blasts that exhaust upwrds then it will fall to ground and people are at risk from ALL of the soot.

If it's a side/rear then most of the soot will fall to the ground and it will be below our mouth/nose. Some WILL be turbulent and go higher to settle back down again.

It seems to me (engineer-mode-on ) that high-exit exhausts are a LARGER risk for air-breathing people than low-level. Unless of course you're in a low sportscar or a kiddie in a buggy

With modern diesel engines the manufacturers have been investing in attempts to remove these particles from the exhaust. Until they do so - and get all the old ratty trucks/busses off the road - I guess I prefer it exiting low. I admit that I will close the windows and air vents if I see a 'dirty' bus/truck ahead to avoid taking it in.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

good point, i was thinking for a second that the upwards pointing exhaust is good, but i forgot about the exhaust being heavier than normal air.

Up or Down zorst

I should have mentioned that the German trucks with the exhaust outlet low and in the passenger window, also had soot traps, which are like mufflers the size of fuel tanks. No black smoke comes out, ie: no soot.

However.

The dangerous gas in exhaust emmissions is Carbon Monoxide, both for humans and the ozone layer. So whether it goes up or down (it goes up) it is dangerous.

But getting back to the topic, the side exhaust on cars regulation relates to the most rearward opening side window and the exhaust outlet being 18" behind it. This was to protect passengers from exhaust emissions. Of course, everybody's dad drove a station wagon with the rear window wound down and the exhaust gasses filling the car anyway.

For the record, diesel exhaust contains more carbon monoxide than petrol exhaust.

So I would think this exhaust setup is out of the question?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Quote Originally Posted by byronleehk
    So I would think this exhaust setup is out of the question?

my cousin has a cummins deisel exhaust, its very special, it adds 160 horsepower to any diesel truck, and over 200 torque, making his dodge ram, alot faster and he can tow alot more horses and such

not sure what model exhuast it is, but apparently it is very popular
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

here is a cool video of and sound of the exhuast system i have, sounds awesome!!!!!

www.jbaheaders.com/downloads/03sys.mpg
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Sweet sounding exhaust. The best sounding exhaust is that of a car with a lumpy cam. I hate those ricer exhausts, wouldn't you think that the constant waaaa waaaa gets annoying?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I was thinking about the exhaust thing.
    Now this is conjecture, I don't know the truth.

BUT, diesel exhaust pollutant is the particles of soot.
    These are heavier than air and ARE nasty if ingested into our lungs.

If a truck blasts that exhaust upwrds then it will fall to ground and people are at risk from ALL of the soot.

If it's a side/rear then most of the soot will fall to the ground and it will be below our mouth/nose. Some WILL be turbulent and go higher to settle back down again.

It seems to me (engineer-mode-on ) that high-exit exhausts are a LARGER risk for air-breathing people than low-level. Unless of course you're in a low sportscar or a kiddie in a buggy

With modern diesel engines the manufacturers have been investing in attempts to remove these particles from the exhaust. Until they do so - and get all the old ratty trucks/busses off the road - I guess I prefer it exiting low. I admit that I will close the windows and air vents if I see a 'dirty' bus/truck ahead to avoid taking it in.
    Ok. But how about having it exit out the arse end though.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I was under the impression that the exhaust was exited high to allow it to dissipate better.

is a side exhaust system any better than a normal one coming out the back in terms of sound and performance? or is it just the looks?

Quote Originally Posted by thinker
    is a side exhaust system any better than a normal one coming out the back in terms of sound and performance? or is it just the looks?
    For a higly-tuned race engine, long pipes are hard to 'tune' to maximise the exhaust gas flow dynamics ( using one pusle to 'pull' exhaust from another cylinfer )
    So shorter is easier , but there is a limit
    Nowadays, I think computer modelling has become sufficient to be smarter with varible diameter tubes to tune any length you chose. Ducati do this on their V-twins withe a varying diamter pipe on the rear cylinder.
    Also, the CAT operates as a buffer to a lot of this.
    I think a lot of it now is to do with image.
    BUT, in Europe, noise emissions are taken from a vechile passing a mic, so a side exhuast ends up failing noise emissions.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

so for instance the roush mustang's side exhaust is just for looks compared to the mustang cobra exhaust then? i heard a roush mustang that sounded pretty good but i have never heard a mustang cobra to compare with

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    here is a cool video of and sound of the exhuast system i have, sounds awesome!!!!!

www.jbaheaders.com/downloads/03sys.mpg
    Nice, now that is what a car should sound like
    Heres an awesome page with a crap load of exhuast sound files.
    http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/gm.html

that duz sound tite...what exhaust system is that? and that is a cobra rite?

Quote Originally Posted by thinker

i would imagine, that whilst driving the car you would hear the exhaust more clearly from a side exhaust compared to a rear exit exhaust
    I am the Stig

Thread Information