Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Hungarian F1 Grand Prix

I'm happy for Button. He was well on his way to becoming the pilot with the most F1 races without a victory.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    It takes a lot of attrition, mistakes and machanical failures to get Jens on the podium, yeah...he's great.
    I'm not sure which race you watched, but Button triomphed by making no mistakes in a race under constantly changing conditions. You can't blame him for other people's mistakes. His drive was not just clean, but most of the time very fast. Remember he started from 14th.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

You people saw the Porsche SuperCup at the Hungaroring? Man it was one big mess. Half the field crashed or spun. They didn't even drive 18 laps in 30 mins (max. race time). Patrick Huisman won btw, he lead from begin till end... Saleans had a severe crash.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

This has to be one of the most exciting races I have seen in the my short time as an F1 fan. But it was intense watching Raikkonen pull ahead, then crash, watch Alonso have a chance, then Schumi have a chance, it was great racing.

I am very happy for Button, I have liked him for a while but I just wasn't sure when he would get over the top. It has been a long time coming and he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    I'm not sure which race you watched, but Button triomphed by making no mistakes in a race under constantly changing conditions. You can't blame him for other people's mistakes. His drive was not just clean, but most of the time very fast. Remember he started from 14th.
    Too right.

I knew this would happen, but the fact is that Schumi didn't stand a chance of catching Button and given the lap times he was setting at the end of the race (if you use the live timing thing on F1.com you'll have seen) Jenson was in with a very good chance of catching Alonso too.

As Wouter said, he drove a perfect race and the team made great tactical decisions - Formula 1 is, after all, very much a team sport - the driver just brings everything together and Button did that job better than anyone today.

I've stuck up for him for years - I'm not going to have people shooting him down now he'd finally got the victory!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

I tell you what im glad the Brit's here are handling everything calmly. I checked ITV's website post race and it became comical the way they talked up Buttons above all odds win. I guess thats what the media will do though. The guys here will do the same when Webber gets his first win.

It was a good race though, much like Australia and Monaco but probably better as everyone was expecting such a dull race and were treated to a one off spectacle. Great win for Button as well, ITV made the point that he was perhaps disadvantaged moreso than Alonso and Schumacher when they were caught for driving offenses, when his was an engine failure. I'd probably have to agree, although the Ferrari's and perhaps Renaults too wouldve been the leaders on clear pace, but it wasnt a dry race now was it...
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Crashing with Fisichella as well in the first part of the race after Fisichella had already passed him. And as Jack has said, the attemps to keep De la Rosa and Heidfeld at bay were pathetic. The broken suspension was well deserved if you ask me.
    The incident with Fisichella wasn't bad sportsmanship - rather Schumacher had conceded the position and the replay showed the car clearly snapped into oversteer at the apex of the corner, unfortunately at the wrong time. Write it down as a combination of driver error and the poor grip of the Bridgestones at that stage of the race.
    Schumacher shouldn't have bothered defended so hard against De La Rosa or Heidfield late in the race. Sometimes he is too competitive for his own good.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 08-07-2006 at 04:40 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Schumacher shouldn't have bothered defended so hard against De La Rosa or Heidfield late in the race. Sometimes he is too competitive for his own good.
    VERY true. but then again, its what makes him so good.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Yeah, was a very good race.

Jenson Button's dad at the end of the race - "this is better than sex"

Ah... Jenson's Pikey Dad - I do wish they'd stop talking to him... you don't see any other driver's dads hanging about. Except maybe, "Is that Rubens? No he looks too old but maybe he just didn't have a shave this morning... no no it is actually his dad."
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    you don't see any other driver's dads hanging about.
    I think im actually glad now we've only got a single round here Webber's dad is apparently also part of his management team, even more of an excuse to get infront of the microphone.
    I am the Stig

Im so happy for Jenson. I'd like to say that i'd new it would always happen but I didnt think he would win a race. He showed me and alot of his critics wrong with the best drive since he's been in F1. And those that think that he only won because Alonso didnt finish and Schumacher had problems and Kimi crashed are talking crap. He had the third fastest lap of the race and was keeping a constant lap time throughout the race. He was quiker then Alonso on merit and faster that Kimi when he was still running and Schumacher wasnt even on the pace of the BMW's in Hungury.
    Button won the race on merit and Honda did a great job to help him get there.
    Well done Button. Hope this is the first of many more.
    Just under ten seconds, just call it nine point five in round figures! : Murray Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    The incident with Fisichella wasn't bad sportsmanship - rather Schumacher had conceded the position and the replay showed the car clearly snapped into oversteer at the apex of the corner, unfortunately at the wrong time. Write it down as a combination of driver error and the poor grip of the Bridgestones at that stage of the race.

Agreed, the Fisi incident was not intentional, the on-board shot showed it pretty well, Fisi already passed him, but MS's car went loose and he had to correct for it and the car runs a little wide clipping Fisi's rear....

Bad sportsmanship were the 2 incidents with De la Rosa and Heidfeld.....and like Monaco it was his fault, heat of the moment, and not thinking straight....as you say, too competitive for his own good....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by the real deal
    Im so happy for Jenson. I'd like to say that i'd new it would always happen but I didnt think he would win a race. He showed me and alot of his critics wrong with the best drive since he's been in F1. And those that think that he only won because Alonso didnt finish and Schumacher had problems and Kimi crashed are talking crap. He had the third fastest lap of the race and was keeping a constant lap time throughout the race. He was quiker then Alonso on merit and faster that Kimi when he was still running and Schumacher wasnt even on the pace of the BMW's in Hungury.
    Button won the race on merit and Honda did a great job to help him get there.
    Well done Button. Hope this is the first of many more.
    He only needed a freak rain race, superior tires and how many cars to drop out to win. Yay! Again I say he's grossly overrated as well as overly praised for this win.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    He only needed a freak rain race, superior tires and how many cars to drop out to win. Yay! Again I say he's grossly overrated as well as overly praised for this win.
    Yes Alonso, the World Champion, did not have the same tires when Button beat him by 1.5 second per lap for many laps.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information