Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jag XK

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.

Jag XK

Is it just me, or does it have a lot of Aston's looks in it? Makes some sense, as both are Ford companies...is it sharing its chassis with the Aston?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    Is it just me, or does it have a lot of Aston's looks in it? Makes some sense, as both are Ford companies...is it sharing its chassis with the Aston?
    The designer at Jaguar was the head of design at Aston Martin for the past 5 or 6 years IIRC. Ian Callum might be his name if memory serves me right.

ian callum is his name and there have been many magazines and car journalists saying that the two cars look very similar since the concept version of the XK.

i think his name is Fisker

Quote Originally Posted by Dary
    i think his name is Fisker
    He was one of the designers too.. I think. He's started his own company which makes Fister Latigo's and Fisker Tramonto's off of Bmw 6-series chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    He was one of the designers too.. I think. He's started his own company which makes Fister Latigo's and Fisker Tramonto's off of Bmw 6-series chassis.
    and Mercedes-Benz SL chassis.

Callum told Evo magazine that the constraints on car designers leave little flexibility in the way cars are penned. Look at the proportions of the Jag and recent Astons compared to, say, the Maserati 3200 GT. These aren't only homage to classic sports coupe proportions, they're the most effective packaging, and that satisfies the deep thinkers who run Aston/Jag.

The hood (of Bonnet, if that's your thing) of the Jag is bulbous and over-inflated to protect pedestrians. (Something about hitting the unyielding intake systems, or similar rubbish.)
    Then there are crumple zones, and an adequate rollover protection structure and ten thousand other hard points and soft points and things that i'm to ignorant to know about.
    And then you've got to fit a gigantic fuel tank in there somewhere...

But the overall profiles are so similar in this case that it's hard not to imagine that overlord Ford had a hand in concocting some "design DNA" bullshit to muddle the waters betwixt the two marques.

Damn shame that Jags aren't svelte, slinky; well, catlike machines anymore though. Get used to it.
    Squawk.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    The hood (of Bonnet, if that's your thing) of the Jag is bulbous and over-inflated to protect pedestrians. (Something about hitting the unyielding intake systems, or similar rubbish.)
    Then there are crumple zones, and an adequate rollover protection structure and ten thousand other hard points and soft points and things that i'm to ignorant to know about.

I never could wrap my head around that one - pedestrian safety -. Want to make life safer for pedestrians? Keep them off the road! And I don't care how many crumple zones they fit to a car, you hit a ped at even just 35 mph, that ped's compost in most cases. OK, I admit that certain technologies make the possibility of death to a pedestrian less likely in the event of a collision, but why make the hood blob-like? I can't remember which manufacturer it is, but it employs a system that detects when an object resembling flesh is struck heads-on, and simply pops the hood up to cushion the hapless jay-walker. Isn't that enough?

Anyway, that's my quota of bitching for the day, I'm off to bed.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    Callum told Evo magazine that the constraints on car designers leave little flexibility in the way cars are penned. Look at the proportions of the Jag and recent Astons compared to, say, the Maserati 3200 GT. These aren't only homage to classic sports coupe proportions, they're the most effective packaging, and that satisfies the deep thinkers who run Aston/Jag.

But the overall profiles are so similar in this case that it's hard not to imagine that overlord Ford had a hand in concocting some "design DNA" bullshit to muddle the waters betwixt the two marques.

Damn shame that Jags aren't svelte, slinky; well, catlike machines anymore though. Get used to it.
    Squawk.
    Yeah, most sports cars look the same to me too. Just that certain things like the Jag's broad shouldered stance and the shape of the wheel wells really just dripped of Aston. I don't really care one way or the other if it looks like an Aston though, so I guess I did "get used to it"
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Yep, same designer, or was.

News show Ford has now sold Jaguar (or will), so the connection between Jaguar and Aston will be interesting to see in about 5-6 years.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    Yep, same designer, or was.

News show Ford has now sold Jaguar (or will), so the connection between Jaguar and Aston will be interesting to see in about 5-6 years.
    you mean after Ford has sold Jaguar to Renault?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Well, I didn't know Renault bought them. I've only read that Ford sold them.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

really? Is that good :cough no cough:

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    Well, I didn't know Renault bought them. I've only read that Ford sold them.
    Renault has approached Ford earlier, but was then told Jaguar was not for sale. Now that it is, chances are that Renault might be successful.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

that bodes well for the states.. get renault the foot in the door to the states with the established jag dealership system, and then we will hopefully start getting renaults and peugeuts.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information