Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you have against Skyline's?

Quote Originally Posted by modelcarfan
    Try to put nitro and stuff like that in a normal factory car and we will see for how long it will last.And yes by getting a used car and put on it an about 10000 dollars or euros or what ever i do not see it too much clever movement.
    But once you have the money you can get what ever you want and make it as you like it.
    ...you don't really know much about the techy stuff do you?

A set of decent titanium conrods would cost almost as much as all that stuff needed to take a Skyline up to 570bhp.
    Last edited by MrKipling; 08-15-2006 at 03:07 AM.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

The main thing that makes Skylines so good is the bottom end... the fact that it is possible to get large power gains without changing pistons, crankshafts, con-rods and the like means that you can get 570bhp (cack loads - in case any of you haven't driven a properly fast car.... ____, I'm looking at you) for about $5,000 - $6,000 - according to Froogle.com. Which isn't really a huge amount considering that it is nearly a 300 bhp power gain!

no apparently i do not know much about tech stuff. So that you know more than me you can make a lecture about it.

So now tell us what is corect. Once you are the expert and you know more about tech stuff that the car with out any further changing gets 570hp or with the titanium ones??
    Because one time you say no need for changes and the other time you say with titanium changes.

the underlined and bold words as well the paragraf tha includes them are words of MrKipling sorry i forgot to mention it in the previous post

Quote Originally Posted by modelcarfan
    The main thing that makes Skylines so good is the bottom end... the fact that it is possible to get large power gains without changing pistons, crankshafts, con-rods and the like means that you can get 570bhp (cack loads - in case any of you haven't driven a properly fast car.... ____, I'm looking at you) for about $5,000 - $6,000 - according to Froogle.com. Which isn't really a huge amount considering that it is nearly a 300 bhp power gain!

no apparently i do not know much about tech stuff. So that you know more than me you can make a lecture about it.

So now tell us what is corect. Once you are the expert and you know more about tech stuff that the car with out any further changing gets 570hp or with the titanium ones??
    Because one time you say no need for changes and the other time you say with titanium changes.
    Mr K is right that you would have to change the con rods, pistons, crankshafts at around 550BHP because they would be under extreme stress and prolong use of that engine will lead to engine failure...But the standard skyline bottom can be used till 550BHP as you righly mentioned but like i said it is to risky and in the long run will prove more expensive...
    basically your looking at the cheaper short run benefits..Where as Mr K is looking at the long run reliable benefits...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

^^ Do try to write English, rather than gibberish (not you, Clique):

"Once you are the expert and you know more about tech stuff that the car with out any further changing gets 570hp or with the titanium ones??"

Making an assumption as to what that actually meant I'll try to explain...

A Skyline has a very very strong 'bottom end' (crank, pistons, con-rods and the like) - it is these components that cost the most amount of money to replace - so the fact that you can get a 300 bhp power hike without changing these bits makes the RB26 a very impressive motor.

Try getting 500 bhp + out of a non-STi Scoob lump and see what happens. Or a BMW straight six.

Basically: 500bhp if fine for short term on the standard stuff. Above that and you'll have to start tinkering to stop the motor imploding, or if you want it to last a while.
    Last edited by MrKipling; 08-15-2006 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed
    As I see it, they are a little overhyped. But that doesn't outrun the fact that they're quite an impressive set of cars. A GT-R can have it's chip taken out and some minor improvements done to it and it can belch out 550hp easy. I don't hear about NSX's doing this, and I'd be willing to bet it could give your sweet little 360 a whooping.

The fact that it was the lead car in 2F2F doesn't make me like it less. Just because it was royally riced, and very ugly, does not mean that all are. And believe you me, it has always been a spectical of automotive enthusiasts. At one point it had the leading lap time around the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Then that great exotic 996 Turbo came along and whooped it by a few seconds. Whoopity doo dah day. All I'm trying to say is there is nothing wrong with this car that I hear so many people putting down.

I want to know what you have against it, because quite frankly, it is one of the best cars out there.

Steve.
    Wait, so when the Skyline beat someone else, it was an achievement, but when Porsche took it over, it was nothing special?

Fanboys is what I have against Skylines. They always like to compare the Z-Tune which isn't a stock Skyline given Nismo took what, 23 already built Skylines, and modified them.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

it's just that there is too damn many of them, driving around, every freaking day.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    Dare I say that we might just see an example of why Skylines dont get respect that they deserve...
    Egg nog kid ASAP
    I may not be 100% correct, but are you hinting that he's lieing? I doubt it given the HCR32 Type M isn't exactly one of the most well known Skylines around for the masses.

My other thing is against the fans being Skyline "gods". No, they'll be Skyline "gods" when they know of every time of model, and their specifications. I do love to prove kids in the city wrong most of the time with proof that there's a 4-door Skyline, and that there are a lot more Skyline models than GT-Rs.

My other thing against the fanboys (again) is that they ALWAYS want the GT-R. "OMG, goin buy R34 GT-R". Uh no? At 16 years of age? If they want a Skyline so bad, go for a cheaper model. I'm pretty sure you can get just as much out of them without going for the bigger models.

BTW, HCR32 Type M in attachment (I believe). Not exactly a common Skyline talked about nor one fanboys claim to own, so I do believe him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    ^^ Do try to write English, rather than gibberish (not you, Clique):

"Once you are the expert and you know more about tech stuff that the car with out any further changing gets 570hp or with the titanium ones??"

Making an assumption as to what that actually meant I'll try to explain...

A Skyline has a very very strong 'bottom end' (crank, pistons, con-rods and the like) - it is these components that cost the most amount of money to replace - so the fact that you can get a 300 bhp power hike without changing these bits makes the RB26 a very impressive motor.

Try getting 500 bhp + out of a non-STi Scoob lump and see what happens. Or a BMW straight six.

Basically: 500bhp if fine for short term on the standard stuff. Above that and you'll have to start tinkering to stop the motor imploding, or if you want it to last a while.
    Yes but due to the heavy weight of the HICA's all wheel drive system that's no matter. The car might only be able to go maybe a second faster in the quarter.

And I disagree about the motor imploding. Using a useful set of HKS or Apexi part's that are made specifically for the GT-R can decrease the likely hood of that happening. It can be turned into a 900hp daily driver whilst not risking reliability. And Most people do not compare the Z-Tune against other cars. A standard Nur Can easily kill a 996 Turbo in most performance aspects.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

A common fact about the RB26DETT is that it is able to swallow large amount's of air, therefore allowing for more breathing room. It is preferred over the RB20 due to this, and due to the fact that it has much less overall area allowing for ore add on performance parts.
    Last edited by 6speed; 08-15-2006 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    I may not be 100% correct, but are you hinting that he's lieing? I doubt it given the HCR32 Type M isn't exactly one of the most well known Skylines around for the masses.

My other thing is against the fans being Skyline "gods". No, they'll be Skyline "gods" when they know of every time of model, and their specifications. I do love to prove kids in the city wrong most of the time with proof that there's a 4-door Skyline, and that there are a lot more Skyline models than GT-Rs.

My other thing against the fanboys (again) is that they ALWAYS want the GT-R. "OMG, goin buy R34 GT-R". Uh no? At 16 years of age? If they want a Skyline so bad, go for a cheaper model. I'm pretty sure you can get just as much out of them without going for the bigger models.

BTW, HCR32 Type M in attachment (I believe). Not exactly a common Skyline talked about nor one fanboys claim to own, so I do believe him.
    Although the RB20DETT is a well made engine, it's basic design date's back to the 60's. You can not get as much horsepower out of an RB20 compared to an RB26, due to the well balanced components in the RB26. The intake valve's and the more restricting part's severely limit breathability.

A standard Nur Can easily kill a 996 Turbo in most performance aspects.
    it those kind of fanboy comments that p*sses peope off...
    Firstly it is diffcult for any car to 'kill' a car..Secondly can a Nur be driven overlong distances without the need to go to the dentist to replace fillings that have been knocked out due to the hard ride where as the 996 is civilise enough to be driven over long distances...Thirdly if you want to compare a Porsche to a Nur then compate the GT3 RS as it is track model same as the Nur....Fourthly i am sure the 996 Turbo has a much higher top speed, better brakes, a more responsive engine that the Nur...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

It can be turned into a 900hp daily driver whilst not risking reliability.
    That's just utter crap I'm afraid... if you'd even vaguely understood what I was talking about in that post, you'd know that I was saying the Skyline had a very impressive motor. If you knew anything about engines, you'd know that you can't triple the power of an engine without risking reliability and you would have understood why I said 'non-STi Impreza' - they have forged pistons.

YOU are the reason people hate Skylines. You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain.

And Most people do not compare the Z-Tune against other cars. A standard Nur Can easily kill a 996 Turbo in most performance aspects.
    What, you mean except 0-60 and top speed?

Skyline: 155mph and 4.5s
    996: 197mph and 4.2

The Porsche is also three seconds quicker round the 'ring.
    Last edited by MrKipling; 08-15-2006 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    Secondly can a Nur be driven overlong distances without the need to go to the dentist to replace fillings that have been knocked out due to the hard ride where as the 996 is civilise enough to be driven over long distances...
    To be fair to you what he said was utter garage, but with respect to him he did say in "performance" terms.
    A standard Nur Can easily kill a 996 Turbo in most performance aspects.
    You related to comfort.

In relation to the question, I have no problem with the Skyline as a car, it's fairly good. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with fanboys.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    YOUYou type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain.
    LMAO...one of the best qoutes i have ever read on this site +1.

Thread Information