Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lexus Is 500

Lexus Is 500

Saw this on another forum, looks the goods engine wise,

Lexus IS500, why look any further?

It's sometimes a lot of fun to see people swim across oceans or climb the highest mountains to snap a (low quality) "spy shot" of a vehicle that hasn't been released yet, while in Japan, the only thing we need to do is get out of the house and go to a press shop and buy a magazine that has "press pictures" of these cars.

Let's take the long-awaited Lexus IS500 as an example, the M and AMG killer from Japan. Press shots of this vehicle have been available since April 2006 in magazines like Car Top (in their April issue that has been on sale since March). Here's a scan of the page.

For those of you that are not aware what Toyota has cooked up for us, here are the main specs of this IS500: a V8 (2UR-FSE) engine that develops 420bhp (at 5800rpm) and 550Nm of torque (at 3800rpm), 5.0L displacement, overall dimensions of 4665x1820x1435mm with a 2730mm wheelbase and a total weight of 1685kg.

That IS going to hurt!

Hopefully pics work now *go over to computer and headbutts it*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charged; 08-15-2006 at 02:42 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

NICE....have read of it before...but your pics dont work
    Aint Nothin' Lika A Benz....

Its nice but i am sure that it will be no M3/RS4 rival especailly when it is driven aggresively...I think it will be more of a civilsied car than a racer a la M3.RS4..
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    Its nice but i am sure that it will be no M3/RS4 rival especailly when it is driven aggresively...I think it will be more of a civilsied car than a racer a la M3.RS4..
    How can you be so sure? German engineering isn't always the best.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    How can you be so sure? German engineering isn't always the best.
    No i never said it was the best all i was trying to get at was that it is really difficult for a manufacter to enter that segment of the market because the RS4/M3 are so strong and when ever a manufacturer has entered, like Merc C55AMG they havent had success...Maybe the Lexus is really good but i am sure that the RS4/M3 will be better, its just an opinion....
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    I think you have a point there. Lexus as of lately has really stepped up its game Luxury wise but I think they've noticed that their cars have been neutered somewhat as a result of their electronic nannies. Their engineering is perfect to a T but if they could only engineer a kill switch for the nannies then their cars would definately be closer to perfection and one step closer to attacking the Germans directly. I think an IS500 is the first step. Wish Acura figured this out ages ago...

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    but if they could only engineer a kill switch for the nannies then their cars would definately be closer to perfection and one step closer to attacking the Germans directly.
    I wish i could recall where i read it so i could post a link so i guess this is just speculation, but there is a rumour that the new LS 460 will be the first Lexus with a stability control system that can be turned off. So that does bode well, i think its too early to tell if it will be better or worse than its german counterparts.
    You can call me scott.

Well the LS 460 will have the luxuries rivaling or surpassing most German cars. Lets hope it can do the same for the performance.

Motortrend road tested the LS 430 and the GS 430 and they hammered it in the corners. The stability control ruined their fun. The IS is a bit better but the option of not getting a manual in the IS 350 is disappointing.

Looks intersting, can't wait to see the official NA version's pics. I'm sure those rims aren't going to be on it.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

It's perhaps not a fair comparison with the M3, as the Lexus will seat four adults comfortably. I've had the good fortune to drive both a early E36 M3 SMG and also the current model Lexus IS250 Sport. Both are great cars, and I enjoyed the experience, but I think Lexus will pitch the car more at the Five Series Beemer than the M3...now if only I could afford either of them
    Last edited by blackhonda; 08-15-2006 at 08:03 PM.

I want the TL (or RL) redone to RWD with 450BHP. NOW!

The TL, it looks better.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

mmm with the electronic crap turned off, it would be a pretty bad-ass drift machine with some minor mods. Hopefully this baby will be on the used car market when i finally get a license
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

They need to sort those wing mirrors!

But what a car... 420bhp in a compact executive... there's no way this can be classed as an M5 rival. It's the same size as the 414bhp RS4, and the forthcoming 400bhp+ M3.

I want to see the superpowerslugfest in a magazine, soon

I wonder if this is the same engine they want to use for the supra?

Thread Information