Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian winter driving....

Quote Originally Posted by blackhonda
    Gents, your help is much appreciated. The ice/wet/snow driving techniques were pretty much how I intended to approach the issue, I'll be the guy in the rent-a-car driving slowly sending all those behind mad with rage... , the LHD/driving on the right-hand side of the road is more an issue of which way to look first when approaching intersections...have to be very careful there, don't want to be blindsided RobPorsche the advice on which route to take and advice on possible driving conditions was very helpful....when I get back I'll post some pictures of the skiing...hopefully I won't have a broken leg or have done a Sonny Bono and slammed into a tree...
    I've delivered pizza in blizzards and very icy conditions, in a busy city area.

You'll be fine.

First thing to do is drive as fast as possible, at all times. None of this 5 under the speed limit BS. Next, power slide around every corner you go through. All of them. Especially clover-leaf on/off ramps. If you see a police car, speed up even more. As you pass him, open your window and wave to him with your middle finger extended. This is Canadian for "Hello! Have a nice day, officer!" They eat that stuff up. And lastly, remember: red means go. Green means go even faster.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

^ Brilliant

Honestly, if you're going to Kelowna on the highway, don't worry about what you're driving. They keep that road in good condition during the winter. You definitely wouldn't need an AWD car or anything like that, any car would be fine. Just be careful, as long as you realise that it isn't a hot summer road, you'll be okay.

The highway changes a lot, from 1 to 2 lanes, but if I remember correctly it's mostly 2 lane. Just remember to stay in the far righthand lane so as not to impede traffic. I know it will feel wrong but that's what you've got to do - I went through the same thing riding motorbikes on the "wrong" side in Thailand

You'll have to be extra careful in the cities, just go slowly and you'll be okay. Once you're on the highway it shouldn't be an issue, because you won't have intersections to deal with

By the way, Big White is awesome I snowboarded there 3 years ago; conditions were great, runs were great, etc. Decent price too (well, "decent" is subjective, but if you know how much most other ski resorts that size charge, you'd know what I mean)

By the way, this should help you out a bit:
    Driving Directions and Map - Vancouver Airport (YVR) to Big White Ski Resort, Kelowna
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 08-21-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks for the info, and the link, very much appreciated.
    "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear; but you can make a mighty fast pig." Carroll Shelby

Motorsport; the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

The scream of Vtec

Thread Information