Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crime in South Africa...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    That happened here actually, girl got here face smashed in by some moron teenager. Terrible stuff.

On a daily basis...?

And just so we're clear: In many cases, the apparent "thieves" that commit the crimes end up taking nothing at all... How could a case of rich and poor have anything to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    I see what you mean now, were all animals its just that peticular mix of very poor and very rich that brings it out. I think some people thought you were being a little racist.
    sorry my bad,i did not want it to sound like that it all,I'm not racist it all just racist towards d!!khead people,,
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I'm not racist, I hate everyone. JUST JOKES PEOPLE, CALM DOWN .

I have heard that SA can indeed be a worry. Maybe as bad if not worse is Papua New Guinea - apart from constantly running the risk of being sliced 'n diced, you might end up being cooked as well

Reminds me of the joke about mid-flight meals:

When flying Qantas you may get served a pie for lunch, while American gives you the hotdog

However with PNG Airways the stewardess comes along and offers you up her arm ..

I hear in PNG these days the Rascals are not just running amok in the highlands as usual, but are now regularly rioting (and worse) right into the downtown CBD of their capitol city of Port Moresby

Can be stunningly beautiful for a visit if you're game .. but to live there? Not bloody likely! A friend recently got back after a 3 year posting (we thought we might never get to see her again) with some sobering tales about life and death in the Failed State of PNG

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroMan
    well!!! once an animal always an animal,Africa is one of the poorest country and we have white people living there with expensive stuff,what do you think it going to happen,,,just remember you cant change wiled animals..
    my recollection of africa having lived there for almost 16 years almost my whole life is much more peaceful than living in america in the two year i have been here ,

in africa, the only person who is feared is a hustler . what about here?
    Last edited by kigango123; 08-24-2006 at 06:54 PM.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper
    Well, it's sad. South Africa has so much potential, not only the country itself, but the people inhabiting it.

It's a great country messed up by only a handful of misfits. And race has nothing to do with it either, everyone's feeling it.

Just out of curiousity, where else in the world have you heard of 2 month-old babies being raped? Or people's faces being dipped in boiling-hot oil? Or people getting shot when driving on the freeway by peds? Or boulders being dropped on cars from bridges? Or people's ankles getting hacked off just for fun? All this is done by thieves, rapists and murderers who are not caught 85% of the time, and even when caught sit in jail for no more than 2 years. That's of course if the case even makes it to court, since the police usually "lose" the dossier long before then. The cops aren't immune to crime either, more than 500 (officially, most believe the actual figure to be far higher) murders of police-men and -women for this year alone so far.
    And the government has stopped releasing official crime-figures in 2004. Why?

You kind of get the feeling that the people are beyond scared now. They're getting pi$$ed off, and it gets worse with every passing day.

In spite of all this, you still get people there that greet you with a smile. People are still full of hope there, still determined to make the most of what they have. People that aren't afraid to live.

Humbling to say the least.
    by the way, from what rock did you drag this story.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123
    my recollection of africa having lived there for almost 16 years almost my whole life is much more peaceful than living in america in the two year i have been here , with the planes and the bombs and the terrorists and the rednecks and the white and black.

in africa, the only person who is feared is a hustler . what about here?
    im sorry you're so unlucky bro!!!! as far as the planes an terrorists goes,we're doing what they to us.what about here?

im sorry you're so unlucky bro!!!! as far as the planes an terrorists goes,we're doing what they to us.what about here?
    so re-introducing the death sentence isn't good enough for you.
    what is it that you propose

by the way, from what rock did you drag this story.

Not sure what you mean. If by "rock" you mean Planet Earth, then that one. If by "drag this story" you mean calling it as I saw it, then that's what I meant.

And if your intention is to start a mudslinging contest, I'll pass, thanks.

so re-introducing the death sentence isn't good enough for you.
    what is it that you propose
    lets see what do i propose,i should not share it with you,I'll get in trouble..

i am on the computer right now and my mom is watching this Mark Karr thing on cnn .i do not want to Mudsling but you talk about africans as
    well!!! wiled animals..
    and i really wonder were the " wiledeness" is.

You know what, this thread is beginning to smell too political. I'll withdraw with a parting shot:

SA's a great place and has wonderful people. Is there trouble? Yes. Will they overcome it? They always do.

You know what, this thread is beginning to smell too political.
    That's nothing new on UCP. You should see some of the debates we've had here.

I'll withdraw with a parting shot: SA's a great place and has wonderful people. Is there trouble? Yes. Will they overcome it? They always do.
    All countries are capable of overcoming their problems. Sadly, you don't always suceed due to lack of political will by those that can affect a change.

I'm just glad my friend is going home in December.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

I believe some South African car owners have a special "flame thrower" device connected to the side of the car and the owner of the car can press a button and "roast" a criminal who is attempting to steal their car (car-jacking).

Also, if anybody has lived or been in Africa for a few weeks or a few months/years, can they briefly answer these questions?
    Is Africa really as terrible as people say it is in terms of most African people living with or enduring a terrible standard of living due to diseases like AIDS and malaria, poverty, lack of services and people dieing from starvation? Do a sigificant percentage of African people enjoy a satisfactory standard of living?
    Last edited by john14; 08-24-2006 at 08:20 PM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by john14
    I believe some South African car owners have a special "flame thrower" device connected to the side of the car and the owner of the car can press a button and "roast" a criminal who is attempting to steal their car (car-jacking).
    I saw that on a news report once. They were interviewing the owner of the company that sells that anti-car jacking "flame thower", my first thought...well my second thought was "damn is that legal?" My first thought was Holy S..t!!! It was a while ago I saw that report, I don't know if it ever came to market.

Quote Originally Posted by john14
    Also, if anybody has lived or been in Africa for a few weeks or a few months, can they briefly answer these questions?
    Is Africa really as terrible as people say it is in terms of most African people living with or enduring a terrible standard of living due to diseases like AIDS and malaria, poverty, lack of services and people dieing from starvation? Do a sigificant percentage of African people enjoy a satisfactory standard of living?
    The African continent reminds me a lot of Latin America but worse. The affluent outnumber the less furtunate by a large number...but worse.

In Latin America...Mexico for example, there is rampant poverty as in Africa. And a very high crime rate as in Africa. I've noticed that the biggest contributor to crime is the lack of attention of the authorities towards the problem. Why, because they are corrupt. They work in conjuction with the criminals and take "their cut. It doensn't just happen at "the top" as some might think. It starts with the local cop taking bribes from the local hoods and moving all the way up through the chain of command. That's why we have such high crime rates and I suspect the Africans have a similar problem

What I'm saying is that crime isn't caused by poverty, the thugs and the police make a "good" living from it. The problem is corruption and greed. We have the same problems as the Africans as lack of services, health and even starvation. But they seem to have it worse than anyone else. As I said before, corruption and greed are to blame.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Thread Information