Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There's only 8 planets.

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    I wonder how much money/time/resources were wasted in arguments and research that lead up to such a useless change of rules.
    Just because you don't care about it doesn't make it useless. It's the first time in history astronomers agree on a definition of a planet. As the universe is packed with planets and other bodies it certainly makes it easier if there is a clear way to tell them apart.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    Just because you don't care about it doesn't make it useless. It's the first time in history astronomers agree on a definition of a planet. As the universe is packed with planets and other bodies it certainly makes it easier if there is a clear way to tell them apart.
    HUH? I'm sorry I agree with blingbling... It's got nothing to do "caring" Whether its a planet or a "dwarf" planet or even a "midget" it still is pluto, and its still gonna be there doing the same thing it did for the last bizillion years.

How deep is a pan before its a pot? ...there go the next 500 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    In the grand scheme of things, it is completely useless. Is the world a better place now with this definition? Nope!
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    In the grand scheme of things, it is completely useless. Is the world a better place now with this definition? Nope!
    Well...actually thats one less useless thing anybody has to learn in school...unless the start telling stoires about the "forgotten planet"...

Did the world become a better place when using your thumbs and arm lengths where changed to less subjective measurements? Probably not. But it sure made a lot of things easier, even if it didn't change the objects one bit.

If our solar system was the only one we could keep our subjective measurements, but as technology brings other solar systems closer, clearer definitions ease the work of astronomers. The decision was not about changing Pluto's status, that was just a result of the agreement.
    - Are YOU listed? -

The classification of Pluto as a planet, technically, would have forced astronomers to classify other bodies in our solar systems as planets - including our own moon. They chose to go the other way and reclassify Pluto. It makes sense to me.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

So at the start of the month they were going to add Ceres, Charon and UB313 (Xena) to our Solar system. So what has happened now, pluto has been made a dwarf planet? So do the other 3, especially Xena, also become dwarf planets? I thought all the planets where meant to fall under a new catagorie called "plutons"? Oh well, I am confused.
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Resonatrectomy
    127 Kw @ all 4 paws

I like that they debated it for the sake of science and all but they should have just kept it for simplicity's sake. Now how do you teach kindergarteners? Well, there's nine a while ago but there's only eight now... Way to make a 5 year old confused. I was taught to use My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas for an acronym. Care to share what you guys used?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas for an acronym. Care to share what you guys used?
    My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos!

How bout that. But yes, i like how they started this whole debate cause there might have been 13 planets(or 12,...?) and they ended up with even less than they started with. GOOD STUFF!!!
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_aapls
    I thought all the planets where meant to fall under a new catagorie called "plutons"? Oh well, I am confused.
    They were considering it, but that name drew flak from geologists who use "pluton" to describe rock formations. The best thing to come out of that suggestion is the following quote:

Quote Originally Posted by www.nature.com
    Since the term is not in the MS Word or the WordPerfect spell checkers, we thought it was not that common
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Because nobody cares about a rock covered in ice thats millions of miles away.
    I suppose then that you deem the whole science of astronomy as useless.
    At last you should do hat in a proper way, not in an internet forum. You should have gone to that convention and shared your views on the topic!
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Pluto not a planet, ay?

Shmeh - as long as the astronomists keep those death rays pointed at incoming Asteroids i'm not fussed.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    Shmeh - as long as the astronomists keep those death rays pointed at incoming Asteroids i'm not fussed.
    Er, yeah, the death rays... they sure do.[/white lie]
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    Pluto not a planet, ay?

yeaah!?!..how about those death rays.

Thread Information