Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Around Australia for less than $1000

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    So that would take me 2-3 years. the grant helps big but do you get that grant on a new car with gas also?.
    Its $1K on new cars with LPG, and $2K on aftermarket conversions.

So in effect its really only a $400 option so long as the government keeps offering the grants.
    I am the Stig

When gas hits 90c and people run say 5-9 litres per 100 more then a petrol car they will not complain about it. And yet when paying $1.25 and using less per 100 they will bitch and moan.
    Actually with the way fuel economy is heading with cars now the only one to be a guzzler is the LPG cars.

I still have to wonder how long does it take when buying a gas car of any sort to make that extra money spent back?.
    No tune-up yet but the 4.0 gas Falcon we recently bought has halved the weekly fuel spend, as compared to the old 2.8 litre Mercedes on petrol

For us that's an approx $3600 saving per year @ current prices

Quote Originally Posted by acemotorsport
    and this in coming from a fanboy
    Everyone was telling me to grow-up so I did!
    Join V8SuperChat NOW!
    http://vee-eight.super-forum.net

Quote Originally Posted by HSVLVR
    finaly
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Buy a pie
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by HSVLVR
    Now, can you stop posting in that annoying font? That'd just be super.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Now, can you stop posting in that annoying font? That'd just be super.
    Alright, alright!
    Join V8SuperChat NOW!
    http://vee-eight.super-forum.net

yay!
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    No tune-up yet but the 4.0 gas Falcon we recently bought has halved the weekly fuel spend, as compared to the old 2.8 litre Mercedes on petrol

For us that's an approx $3600 saving per year @ current prices
    See for me it just won't cut it i drive almost everyday but not in big distance. Take me a good couple of years to save some money.

See for me it just won't cut it i drive almost everyday but not in big distance. Take me a good couple of years to save some money.
    Not any more Slick. I'm not trying to convince you because you obviously don't want to convert. But if you crunch the numbers then the cost-arguement for LPG is quite convincing ..

I'd guess an older car like yours might cost around $2500 to convert?

Subtracting the free $2000 govt rebate would leave you with a $500 payback to cost-neutral status, which you should comfortably achieve after only a dozen tankfills or so. And from that day on your fuel bills should be approx 50% of what you are currently paying

Perhaps your saving will be even greater, as Melbourne is the home of cheap LPG

Zero excise on LPG is guaranteed until 2011 (govt 'core-promise' lol) when excise progressively ramps up in 2.5 cent annual increments to a maximum of 15 cents per litre from 2015. This planned level of excise from 2015 is still less than half of the current petrol tax you pay today (33 cents p/L?) and even after 2015 it is predicted that LPG motorists should realise a 25% saving in fuel costs over petrol

Btw our old '93 Falcon ED 4-litre auto has 276,000kms up, and over the last two tankfuls it has indicated an average of 22 mpg (12.8 L/100km) while running on LPG. At my local fuel prices this equates to an spectacular cost-equivalent to petrol of approx 55 mpg (5.1 L/100km)

More modern LPG cars are capable of even better economy - for example the around-Australia LPG Ford Fairmont BF (the subject of this thread) regularly achieved more than 900 km on one tank of LPG, and averaged 27.7 mpg (10.2 L/100km) during the 13,950 km trip, which at my local fuel prices equates to over 68 mpg or 4.1 L/100km

why do you want to save money on fuel in Australia? there's a brothel that offers a 20 cents per liter discount when you bring in your fuel bill.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Wow, so theres one brothel in one tiny part of the country, so thats supposed to set the standard for the rest of the country?

Looked at a map lately?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    why do you want to save money on fuel in Australia? there's a brothel that offers a 20 cents per liter discount when you bring in your fuel bill.
    yay where is it
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    what a stupid comment....you don't get out much do you ?

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Not any more Slick. I'm not trying to convince you because you obviously don't want to convert. But if you crunch the numbers then the cost-arguement for LPG is quite convincing ..

I'd guess an older car like yours might cost around $2500 to convert?

Subtracting the free $2000 govt rebate would leave you with a $500 payback to cost-neutral status, which you should comfortably achieve after only a dozen tankfills or so. And from that day on your fuel bills should be approx 50% of what you are currently paying

Perhaps your saving will be even greater, as Melbourne is the home of cheap LPG

Zero excise on LPG is guaranteed until 2011 (govt 'core-promise' lol) when excise progressively ramps up in 2.5 cent annual increments to a maximum of 15 cents per litre from 2015. This planned level of excise from 2015 is still less than half of the current petrol tax you pay today (33 cents p/L?) and even after 2015 it is predicted that LPG motorists should realise a 25% saving in fuel costs over petrol

Btw our old '93 Falcon ED 4-litre auto has 276,000kms up, and over the last two tankfuls it has indicated an average of 22 mpg (12.8 L/100km) while running on LPG. At my local fuel prices this equates to an spectacular cost-equivalent to petrol of approx 55 mpg (5.1 L/100km)

More modern LPG cars are capable of even better economy - for example the around-Australia LPG Ford Fairmont BF (the subject of this thread) regularly achieved more than 900 km on one tank of LPG, and averaged 27.7 mpg (10.2 L/100km) during the 13,950 km trip, which at my local fuel prices equates to over 68 mpg or 4.1 L/100km
    Maybe from new but not in it's old age, Also I'm looking to go faster and really wouldn't want gas to power it. But if i bought a new car tomorrow i would consider it if it was a 6, I'm not sold on diesel still might take some time to win me over on that one. I read if there is a bad batch of petrol cars won't notice it power wise. But when it's diesel it's a different story. We might not have good enough quality diesel yet.
    I think if a got gas on my car it might die faster . But i am looking at a 2004 reco engine for $700.

Thread Information