Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford PAG

Ford PAG

Ford's board continue to demonstrate how they got into a whole pile of financial mess by planning to see the only profitable arm of their Premier Automotive Group

Ford press release
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

So, so sad.

Isn't Volvo actually profitable as well?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

hopefully they stop at the considering part
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

"Aston Martin Lagonda has flourished under Ford ownership, which is why we believe it is prudent to consider a sale of all or part of this prized brand."

it seems they dont like it when things are going good. But really it looks like they want a large short term income in order to try and use it to save their other brands, and they think they can get more b/c aston has been doing good.

Im a bit split on the decision, b/c as much as if i were ford id like to keep the brand, but i also think they may not have much of a choice b/c they dont have any other form of income, and saving the more mass market brands should be priority. Hopefully Aston goes someplace good and either continues what they have been doing or even improves.
    You can call me scott.

Well, obviously they believe that they will probably get more from selling a company that is making money, as opposed to trying to sell Jaguar, for example, which is rather struggling.

I don't know who was in charge of making the decisions, but if only Jaguar had been given the apparent freedom that Land Rover and Aston Martin had in terms of model development, I think they would not be in so much trouble.

Whereas LR and AM got to develop completely new cars from the ground-up, Jag had to put up with making the best of a Lincoln and a Mondeo for arguably their most important models.

The new XJ and XK show that Jag can make good niche cars, but there never seemed to be the appropriate conviction to develop models which could be realistic competitors to the mainstream small/mid sized exec market led by BMW, Merc and Audi.

Selling Aston Martin now doesn't make a lot of sense, as they have just revamped the entire line up with new models, there is not much scope for a potential buyer to expand the range.
    Thanks for all the fish

On the plus side, it would give Jaguar the freedom to improved the top-end models, as Cov is alluding to there. Anyone remember the XKR-R they apparently weren't allowed to make? Could even mark a return of a V12 to the XJ. Personally I'd love to see Jaguar able to rival the top end of the market properly.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    On the plus side, it would give Jaguar the freedom to improved the top-end models, as Cov is alluding to there. Anyone remember the XKR-R they apparently weren't allowed to make? Could even mark a return of a V12 to the XJ. Personally I'd love to see Jaguar able to rival the top end of the market properly.
    In theory, you're right, I doubt Ford is likely to allow much big spending on such projects in the current climate.

I wonder if by selling AM Ford would be able to retain the rights to the AMV12engine and could simply drop it into the XJ/K?

I would guess that as the cars would not have been designed around that engine, it probably wouldn't fit anyway.
    Thanks for all the fish

True, but when the next redesign comes about.. 6 or so years I guess, they could wedge it in. Still, in the mean time an XKR with more of a performance bent would bridge the gap. LSD, proper manual, nice suspension package... That'd do me, I'm not picky!

No, I think you guys have it all wrong, Ford purposfully wants to sell all the profitable arms of the company.

By selling the successful nameplates off they will gather money too support them through the next several years in which time they can hopefully get their shit together and design some worthwhile successful cars people will want to buy. No doubt that it is a desperation thing but it is the right thing to do. This way they can fend off bankrupcy, debt, profits in the red, etc and have a little something extra to carry them through to the light at the end of the tunnel.

At least that's the idea. It could always end up pushing down sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    No, I think you guys have it all wrong, Ford purposfully wants to sell all the profitable arms of the company.

By selling the successful nameplates off they will gather money too support them through the next several years in which time they can hopefully get their shit together and design some worthwhile successful cars people will want to buy. No doubt that it is a desperation thing but it is the right thing to do. This way they can fend off bankrupcy, debt, profits in the red, etc and have a little something extra to carry them through to the light at the end of the tunnel.

I think you have a point there, even if Aston or Volvo make small profits, it would not be able to offset the massive US-losses. So better sell of the jewels in the crown and create some cash flow to make the banks a little less unhappy...and of course every prospective buyer knows about Fords predicament so they will be able to negotiate a favourable price...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver

That's exactly what and why they're doing. We're just surmising on the outcomes is all. No point selling off the struggling arms, unless you just want one pound for it (Rover anyone?)

I suppose it would mean that Aston isn't dragged down with Ford if it comes to that.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I suppose it would mean that Aston isn't dragged down with Ford if it comes to that.
    Even if Ford went down any of the PAG members has too much potential to be lost. I'm sure many manufacturers would be happy to take on them.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I'm sure many manufacturers would be happy to take on them.
    Supposedly Ghosn is quite keen on adding Jaguar to Renault's stable.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information