Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will they stop?

When will they stop?

Quote Originally Posted by FasterLouder.com.au
    Music Industry Wage War On Tabs

After a few major victories in their war on illegal downloads, the music industry has now turned its attention to websites that let users access guitar tablature for free.

Guitar sales have doubled in the last seven years. This revival has been partly attributed to the fact that the internet has made it easier for beginners wanting to learn guitar to teach themselves.

Lawyers representing the Music Publisher's Association released a statement last week, stating that the guitar tab sites illegally infringe songwriters' copyright, and that they have issued take down orders to some of the biggest.

One
    such site is OLGA (The Online Guitar Archive), who, with over thirty-four thousand tabs and almost two million users, were the largest guitar tablature website. OLGA have posted this statement on their website: "OLGA is currently offline while we attempt to resolve legal issues with the archive. We received a 'take down' letter from lawyers representing the NMPA and the MPA. We greatly appreciate your support and hope to return to providing resources to the aspiring guitarist as soon as possible."

OLGA has been operating since 1992, so many are wondering why the crackdown has come now

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/intl/5878/
    When will these big record companies stop? Now they're picking on tabs! How many bands that are the reason these bloody labels exist started off playing tabs in the garage?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

To be fair, they are correct - it is copyright infringement.

I can't see that they need to crack down on it though.

With copied CDs, both labels and artists loose money, but how are they loosing money from tabs exactly?

Do they think people are saying "well, I won't buy this CD, I'll just learn to play all the songs myself!"?

I guess that with revenue from sales of music down, they have to look for new ways of getting money.

I'd be interested to find out how many artists have been petitioning for these sites to be closed down...
    Thanks for all the fish

As an above-average guitarist, I will say this- guitar tabs are NOT infringement. You can play things a million different ways on a guitar, and tabs reflect this- each one is different.

It is your own interpretation of a song, and generally you'll need to make corrections to ones found on the 'Net.

It's just another Scrooging way to screw us. Never mind the fact that all the songbooks I (unwisely) bought are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

The RIAA needs to get a life.

I really don't get why they are all acting like they are poor or so... If you see those record label bosses and especially the artists it doesn't really look like it's very hard for them to make ANY money at all... And besides, if it wasn't for illegal downloading and stuff, many artist wouldn't have been this huge as they are now.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I really don't get why they are all acting like they are poor or so... If you see those record label bosses and especially the artists it doesn't really look like it's very hard for them to make ANY money at all... And besides, if it wasn't for illegal downloading and stuff, many artist wouldn't have been this huge as they are now.
    The Arctic Monkeys got huge by swapping their MP3s throughout the online world.

Then, when CD time came, they sold absolutely tonnes- in fact, I think it was one of the most popular in history.

Ok so should they now make Pianists pay for songs online too? What about all the other instruments? This is stupid.

They're picking on guitar because it's more rebellious than piano or flute. It wouldn't surprise me if they next claimed that Hitler played guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Ok so should they now make Pianists pay for songs online too? What about all the other instruments? This is stupid.
    Most importantly... lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Most importantly... lyrics.
    Singing along soon to become illegal then...

Quite a lot of classical music (pianos and flutes) has the advantage of being out of copyright, due to the composers having been dead for a hundred years or two...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Singing along soon to become illegal then...

Quite a lot of classical music (pianos and flutes) has the advantage of being out of copyright, due to the composers having been dead for a hundred years or two...
    Yep, so technically you won't even be able to hum along to the radio!

And that's good- classical music is some of the best around.

Woah, lame.

By the way, Power Tab is the best tablature tool out there. If you don't use it, use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    That's just silly. Stealing from the rich still does not justify it. Robin Hood was a villain you know.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    That's just silly. Stealing from the rich still does not justify it. Robin Hood was a villain you know.
    So I'll get a film made about me by Disney portraying me as a brilliant woodland animal who alleviated the poor guitarists' problems. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    So I'll get a film made about me by Disney portraying me as a brilliant woodland animal who alleviated the poor guitarists' problems. Excellent.
    Being poor is still no reason to steal. I have no knowledge about the particular subject at hand, but the attitude towards record companies is just rediculous.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

They deserve it.

Music has become to money driven, it's not about the music but about how much they can make from brainless consumers willing to pay. This is why some of the best stuff out there most of us will never hear outside the bands' local towns; the ones who actually do it for the music sadly don't make it big.

I say we petition the record companies to piss off and stop releasing the same garbage to the masses, and let us have our tabs and downloads. I buy records, a lot of them, but I'd like to try before I shell out 20 bucks for what could ultimately be crap.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Thread Information