Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exuast noise

dude, without cash, forget magnaflow

there are so many tricks on mufflers i.e. boring holes, removing a pipe e.t.c that can enhance your sound. it depends on what type of muffler you have. restrictive;cut out some of the baffles, resonating; drill some holes

all the guys on this site are stiffs, just do some research and you are bound to find something about it. oh, and try not to go overboard. you might break some laws

plus if you reduce backpressure, you are bound to have hp gains

after comments, it is very easy and cheap to do this if you know where the components of the muffler are
    requires no surgery, i will post link tommorow an honda civcs and mistubishi eclipse, the only down side is if you have turbo unlikely for a stock civic
    Last edited by kigango123; 09-11-2006 at 01:12 PM.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123

there are so many tricks on mufflers i.e. boring holes, removing a pipe e.t.c that can enhance your sound. it depends on what type of muffler you have. restrictive;cut out some of the baffles, resonating; drill some holes

all the guys on this site are stiffs, just do some research and you are bound to find something about it. oh, and try not to go overboard. you might break some laws

I have a modified exhaust on all my vehicles so don't call me a stiff.

Whatever you do, don't do it. You're not going to find anybody on the forums or anybody else on the road that thinks that it's cool to have a super loud exhaust on a car like that.

First of all, if you actually upgraded your exhaust system, you'd be throwing away all the money you spent without increasing the value of the car. If you just cut the muffler, you'd only be making it louder.

These are the downsides:

1. You'll annoy other drivers
    2. You'll annoy your neighbours
    3. The value of your car will drop
    4. It will be more difficult to sell your car
    5. You'll increase your chances of needing a vehicle inspection
    6. The exhaust will reduce low-end torque and make the car feel slower
    7. Your fuel economy will slightly decrease
    8. You'll have to shell out money for a stock exhaust once you realise the above

These are the benefits:

I don't think you really know what you are talking about, are you?

When you say cut out baffels? you mean surgery on the muffler? how do you put it together again properly? haven't heard of any stock muffler wich is possible to deasemble and asemble again?

And where do you drill holes??

Go overborad? he will, once he starts drilling holes i think

And the last part is really good....
    How much powa can i get in my civic if I take the exhaust of??
    Yeah, the header to...?
    1000??
    10000??

You don't gain hp if you "just" reduce backpreassure mate
    It's a bit more complicated than that

Hooray for misinformation. Cars need a certain amount of backpressure to operate correctly. Yes, an aftermarket muffler system will increase horsepower (very slightly) by decreasing backpressure (also very slightly). You'll sacrifice low end torque for almost no high end power. Especially if you have no other modifications.

In short, leave it how it is. If you really want to do something to make it louder, take it to Midas/Meineke and tell them to remove a resonator and weld in a stock diameter pipe.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Hooray for misinformation. Cars need a certain amount of backpressure to operate correctly. Yes, an aftermarket muffler system will increase horsepower (very slightly) by decreasing backpressure (also very slightly). You'll sacrifice low end torque for almost no high end power. Especially if you have no other modifications.

In short, leave it how it is. If you really want to do something to make it louder, take it to Midas/Meineke and tell them to remove a resonator and weld in a stock diameter pipe.
    This happened with my truck, it's slower than it used to be down low, but once it gets up into the rpms it just rips.

That's kinda how my car is right now, with no muffler, actually. I hate it. I have to rev it to 4000 just to accelerate at a normal rate. Once I'm past that it picks up a lot, almost Honda-like I guess. But it still feels slower than with the old muffler. Gah, I want my Dynomax back...
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Fiddling with the exhaust on your car is a BAD idea - check out the pic attached. I know that's an F1 engine, but there's a very good reason for all those crazy bends. 'Back pressure' is very important to how your engine runs, the flow of gases is crucial to a motor functioning correctly, cutting the muffler out of your exhaust will mess it up big time... you'll get big f*ck off holes (or flat spots) in the power delivery and you'll go through fuel like you were driving a dragster.

actually those bends etc have nothing to do with back pressure, it's all about getting the length correct for maximum exhaust "resonance" tuning and scavenging effect.

Back pressure is bad, it's when you start messing with resonances etc when you lose power and torque

Quote Originally Posted by Machalel
    actually those bends etc have nothing to do with back pressure, it's all about getting the length correct for maximum exhaust "resonance" tuning and scavenging effect.

Back pressure is bad, it's when you start messing with resonances etc when you lose power and torque
    The bends are so each pipe is the same length also.

Wow, two informative and factually correct posts in a row? On the intarw3b???
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Yeah, amazing. I learned stuff, so I'm happy. The stuff about drilling holes though.....that sounds like a reeeeeaaaaaallllllly bad idea. It's like punching holes in your computer's plastic casing, randomly, hoping it'll have better airflow - no idea what can happen, if you hit something like a wire...(unless you have a see-through piece, which only a few do....and even then, thats just weird).
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I love honesty, atleast you called the thread "exhaust noise."
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 09-08-2006 at 10:28 PM.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Wow, two informative and factually correct posts in a row? On the intarw3b???
    Unfortunately, the first one is (partial) crap.

The bends are there to make sure all the pipes are the same length, so that the gases exitting the cylinders are even across all (in that case) ten of them... otherwise known as back-pressure. The idea of creating negative pressure during valve-overlap (due to resonance) is very important, but you would struggle to map an engine that is that highly strung unless every cylinder could operate in the same fashion.

Anyway, the important message to get across is, "don't f*ck about with your exhaust... they're way more important than they might seem to the way a car performs - straight through pipe does not necessarily mean optimum performance"
    Last edited by MrKipling; 09-10-2006 at 10:33 AM.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Why does this argument come up everytime someone asks about modifiying exhausts, I'm sure hightower will be here soon to tell us all how to make his flame kit rocker booster.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Anyway, the important message to get across is, "don't f*ck about with your exhaust... they're way more important than they might seem to the way a car performs - straight through pipe does not necessarily mean optimum performance"
    Very true. There are better things you can do to your car. The exhaust is not something to be taken lightly, if you aren't 100% confident in what you are doing, you don't screw with the exhaust.

Thread Information