Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The media war

The media war

Just expressing my outrage at channel 9, just disgusted. Did anyone watch the seven report about the explenation of the today tonight crew held by the indonesian government? Goes to show you what Packer and the nine network will do to get a bit of media coverage and a few leaverage points to try and make the struggling channel seem better than wat it is.

For those of you who havent heard, in Papua, a small child is almost certain to be literally eaten. He is in the last know tribe to still perform cannabalism. His parents are dead, and his relative has expressed his concerns and wants help from anyone. Channel 9 did a report a while ago, they had the chance to save him, alas, it was too expensive for them, the ratings were much more important. Channel 7 heard about this, sent over thier crew to save the poor boy, and what do you know, someone knew about all their flight details, their guide and when they would arrive and thier plans to save Waa Waa ( i dont know the pronounciation of his name sorry ) Im deeply distressed by what networks will do nowadays. How far will it go?

When channel 7 make the fund to save him, ill will definetely be one individual pledging money for his freedom. I will never watch anything on the nine network again. You disgust me.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

This story is from our news.com.au network Source: AAP
    Robson 'set up' by Nine, claims Seven
    September 14, 2006
    SEVEN television personality Naomi Robson flew straight into an ambush in Indonesia after being set up by a rival network, Seven claimed tonight.

Robson and a Today Tonight crew say they were trying to save a Papuan orphan from being eaten by his cannibal tribe when they were detained by Indonesian authorities this week.

The five journalists were deported today after trying to enter the troubled Indonesian province of Papua on tourist visas.

Foreign reporters are supposed to have a journalist visa to work anywhere in Indonesia, and a special permit to report in Papua.

But the permits are notoriously difficult to obtain, in part because of the activities of the secessionist movement in the province.

Seven tonight accused the Nine Network of sabotaging the rescue mission by tipping off authorities to the visa breach.

"Our crew flew into a set-up - a dangerous, tense and extremely delicate situation," the program said.

"We can't be certain, but we do know the Nine Network somehow found out we were going and tried to sabotage the trip, threatening, cajoling and intimidating."

The Nine Network says it will take legal action over the claims.

"Any suggestion Nine has contacted or alerted Indonesian authorities about Seven's proposed journey are absolutely false and reprehensible," news and current affairs director Garry Linnell said in a statement.

Papua provincial police spokesman Kartono Wangsadisastra said after arriving in Jayapura the Seven crew had approached police to ask permission to cover "cultural" stories in Jayapura and Merauke.

But when police found they did not have journalist visas, they were told to leave and come back with proper permits, he said.

Indonesian foreign affairs officials will meet next week to decide whether to blacklist Robson and her colleagues.

Indonesia has defended its restrictions on coverage of Papua, citing concerns that foreigners may encourage separatism in the remote province.

Papuan independence activists have campaigned for more than 30 years to break away from Indonesia.

Today Tonight was following up on a Nine Network report about an orphaned boy, Wah-Wah, who was going to be killed and eaten at some stage in the next 10 years.

When Nine refused to go in and rescue the boy, Today Tonight stepped in, leading to the crew being detained, the program claimed.

call me skeptical for believing what seven has to say about the matter, but im not avoiding whats being shown, and yes, i also know its selective viewing. But ive made my decision and it is a terrible thing to happen.

- The line for the PS3

My god, how f'ing stupid are those Channel 7 retards? They're trying to blame 9 for them getting booted, but in the article they said how they got busted, ASKING A COP IF THEY COULD SHOOT, knowing full well they didn't have the proper authorisation to even be in the country in that manner.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Also, media outlets shouldn't interfere with other cultures. And as barbaric and heartless as it may sound, there's bigger issues in Papua at the moment. Does Naomi Robson care? I doubt it. This is ALL about ratings. 7 is just as guilty I'm afraid.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

You see this is why i rather Channel 10...

I think the fact 7 didnt have the right authority to be there is a bit pointless. This is journalism, these guys will do absolutely anything to get the story they want and i'd almost gurantee 9 have done the same, if not worse over the years.
    I am the Stig

Robson is a pretentious fop and her so-called 'current affairs' show (all about weight loss diets and shoddy home renovations) sucks the big ones, total garbage

The rival show on Channel 9 is no better, Mike Munroe of whichever thug they have on now

Obviously Robson's found herself in a situation where she's way out of her league. To spare us her nightly drivel I kinda wish SHE'D get eaten

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Obviously Robson's found herself in a situation where she's way out of her league. To spare us her nightly drivel I kinda wish SHE'D get eaten
    Someone better get Robson some water, she just got burnt!
    – Hunter Thompson

as Homer might say ..

Mmmm .. naomie tenderloins

I'm utterly surprised that your pissed off with channel 9, Blitz. There reasoning for leaving the issue alone was completely justified and if anything they became the victims of a rampaging Today Tonight keen to get another 'look how badly our friends are doing' story. A Journalists key role is to tell a story, not become one. Methinks Naomi, in the hopes of being seen as 'the hero who saves poor boys from savages' overruled common sense, logic and indeed any shred of cultural sensitivity. The Phone poll they had on the same night (where a whopping 96% of callers - all 12 of them - said that Tourists (!) and Citizens should swear an oath of 'Aussie' Values, proves they are little more than racist scaremongers.

Naomi Robson is an inconsiderate, insincere tool. There, I said it.

Then again anyone who watches these shows with any hope of journalistic integrity, or regard for the truth, is kidding themselves.

Today Tonight entered Indonesia under an incorrect Visa, because 'there guide told them it would be acceptable'. Now they've been detained. Let us hope indefinately.

So, In conclusion, 7:30 Report > Today Tonight and A Current Affair.

Shows like 60 minutes made me wish to become a Journalist, I've let go of that dream for the simple reason that I don't want to end up in a world where the truth is a commodity sold to the highest bidder.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    . The Phone poll they had on the same night (where a whopping 96% of callers - all 12 of them - said that Tourists (!) and Citizens should swear an oath of 'Aussie' Values, proves they are little more than racist scaremongers.
    Well said, and it seems clear that Robson doesn't practice what she preaches (ie: as a tourist, adopting/accepting the values of nations SHE visits) otherwise what the hell is she doing there in West Papua?

And Beazley has again proved himself to be in the wrong party now that he's adopted the same racial hysteria as the conservatives, re the idiocy of visa 'alliegance'

Ah but it's different you see - we're aussies. we're in the right here

Beazley is incompetant and foolish. I believe he's hoping for a Howard-esque 'Second Chance Draw'. He'll never get it because he doesn't stand for anything meaningful or concrete.

Essentially, We're Screwed
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I know the reporters themselves are nothing more than ratings whore, but for me, i looked past that and just saw the point that the boy is going to get eaten. No matter what channel that decides to go up there, i would have hoped they got him, regardless. Both are biting each other in the ass for a bit more coverage, but still, im dissapointed that 9 would do such a thing. Im not an avid news watcher, but still, its dissapointing they could rescue him. And yes, rescue. Its invading a tribes culture, but if a relative asks for help then yer, i supose, in my mind, he deserves someone to help him.

...haha yer naomi is dumb, should have kept her up there locked up

- The line for the PS3

My wife's in the diplomatic corps .. apparently they're all having a big laugh over this visa pledge-of-purity

Mainstream political policy these days has degenerated into a veritable 'race to the bottom'

Like or loath him, but watching Paul Keating last night on Lateline really reminded me of what a superb political performer he is - and we're missing as regards 'the vision thing'

Not trying to sound one sided here, but I really, really hate labor, watching the parliament hearings and live portions on foxtel and on free tv, they really are out talked by the liberals every time. I dont see them winning another election for quite a while

- The line for the PS3

this is why i only watch realstorys on ch10 now
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Thread Information