Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: revered items or "artifacts"

revered items or "artifacts"

not that i am of any religion
    but i have been doing some research and it turns out that

the cross that jesus was crucified on was found , named the "True cross"
    it can now be found in splinters all across the world in many catholic churches

the cup that jesus drank with in the famous occasion; the last supper, was kept by "thomas of arimatheas" and used to scoop some of his blood as he was crucified. commonly known as the "Holy grail" or the "Holy chalice" it is now used by the catholic church mostly by the pope in some catholic rituals.

the shroud of turin is another arifact that was used in jesus burial and is
    qoute on quote "imprinted" with jesus face. it is now kept in some catholic church.

personally i think that most of this is catholic folklore, i mean yes, the items were recovered and one of them is even carbon dated (true cross), but there is as much chance that these items were linked to jesus as there is that they were used in a roman army latrine.

note that i am not critisizing anybody's religion, just trying to get some facts
    Last edited by kigango123; 09-15-2006 at 11:14 AM.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

How can they know that is the cross that was used for jesus? Just because they carbon dated it doesn't mean that it's the one that was used, it wasn't like he was the only one to be put on a cross.

I didn't realise the Holy Grail had finally been found
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

it so happens that a mother to a roman king who was named helena, went to jerusalem and totured some people to find it, one named judas cracked and showed her where some religious coverts had buried it. it was miraculouly found preserved with the nails and wood still intact, more than a century afterwards. a very unlikely story but true, in the sense that they did find a corss and some nails

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    I didn't realise the Holy Grail had finally been found
    they call it the Holy Chalice and it was used by Pope John Paul II in some ritual, you know the one where they break the bread and drink some wine. i cant remember the name of it but it was started by jesus. it was also used by this new Pope ....

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123
    they call it the Holy Chalice and it was used by Pope John Paul II in some ritual, you know the one where they break the bread and drink some wine. i cant remember the name of it but it was started by jesus. it was also used by this new Pope ....
    That's something completley different to the holy grail

Also the thing about Judas ... a new scripture has been found that is just as trustworthy as every other scripture that says that Jesus ordered Judas to do what he did .. meaning he did not betray Jesus. This scripture predates the scriptures that make out Judas as a bad person.

Of course, I'm atheist and believe the bible was written as a moral code and not something that should be considered non-fiction. That's my opinion however.

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    That's something completley different to the holy grail

Also the thing about Judas ... a new scripture has been found that is just as trustworthy as every other scripture that says that Jesus ordered Judas to do what he did .. meaning he did not betray Jesus. This scripture predates the scriptures that make out Judas as a bad person.

Of course, I'm atheist and believe the bible was written as a moral code and not something that should be considered non-fiction. That's my opinion however.
    im not talking about that judas-(betrayal) i am talking about another judas just a namesake, a considerable time after the bible judas hanged himself

after comments
    strangely the whole jesus thing is also mentioned in the koran, but jesus is a prophet,not a savior and they dont mention his death or judas for that matter
    Last edited by kigango123; 09-15-2006 at 12:09 PM.

That's because Islam was a spinoff of Judaism and Christianity. That's also why all the religions accept the Old Testament.

If the True Cross was actually true then it should have been petrified. If it wasn't it would have disintegrated. Same thing with the burial cloth. I wouldn't be surprised if it had turned into dust when they found it.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123
    im not talking about that judas-(betrayal) i am talking about another judas just a namesake, a considerable time after the bible judas hanged himself
    Ah okay - I'm only familiar with the one Judas Sorry about that

People should not put faith in THINGS. All of the stuff you mentioned might possibly be useful as "holy reminders" as the church calls them, but a person's faith should remain centered on God and it seems to me that too many people put too much emphasis on not only legitimate relics but also silly stuff like the "Virgin Mary cheese sandwich" and their interpretation of a stain on a wall or a reflection in glass.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    That's because Islam was a spinoff of Judaism and Christianity. That's also why all the religions accept the Old Testament.
    islam doesnt accept the old testament in its totality. they do accept Genesis(bible) since they are descendants of abraham and some parts of the bible are found in given surahs scattered throught the koran.

Yeah, then I guess I was referring to the Bible.

It's also the reason why there's so much strife in the Middle East. They all claim it to be their own.

I beleive that they say one of the stakes they used to crucifix jesus is in the holy spear
    the holy spear is in Germany somewhere i think

The Shroud of Turin was a 14th-century fake.

BlackCat said it very well: "People should not put faith in THINGS."

As with all religous backing, there's no empirical proof.

Thread Information