Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know this isn't ultimatehomepage.com but...

I know this isn't ultimatehomepage.com but...

...can someone tell me what the point of roof shingles are? I do not really understand how they work, and how it is superior to a roof that is unibody in nature.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

What type of shingles? Asphalt? Clay? Cedar? All depends on the area of where the homes are located. Now a days metal roofs are becoming more common but are still expensive, usually shingles are a cheaper and simpler method of roofing. On how they work, the water flows down by gravity and the shingles will have an overlap that makes the water continue down and not get under the shingle layer. In climates where freezing temperatures are common, a layer of "ice and water" goes on the bottom edge of the roof so any frozen water doesn't work it's way under the shingles and then melts do the roof being warm and geting into the house.

but shingles make no sense to met cause tehy blow off in wind. and then ur house gets soaked. i hate em, my G35 was parked in driveway, neighbors just did roof, windy day, loose shingle blows off and hits car. now car is scratched all the way from glas to wheel arch on driver side rear
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220
    but shingles make no sense to met cause tehy blow off in wind. and then ur house gets soaked. i hate em, my G35 was parked in driveway, neighbors just did roof, windy day, loose shingle blows off and hits car. now car is scratched all the way from glas to wheel arch on driver side rear
    Shingles in good condition shouldn't blow off in non hurricane wind gusts. If it is old, then yes they might come off.

Jonny pretty much summed it up.

Its a weather barrier for the plywood roof so mother nature doesnt take its toll on the nautural wood. Most common in my neck of the woods are asphault. If it is in good condition the roofing nails and tar strips should hold them togeather. I havent seen many cases where new ones fall up unless the contractor did a really crappy job. It could also be because they just went over the old ones and didnt strip the roof. So the old shingles gave out causing the new ones to fall off.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Shingles also dress up the appearance of roofs I find, especially those nice cedar ones. A flat solid roof would look boring in my opinion.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220
    Just like it makes no sense to put paint on cars; it'll all chip or rust off anyways.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    What type of shingles? Asphalt? Clay? Cedar? All depends on the area of where the homes are located. Now a days metal roofs are becoming more common but are still expensive, usually shingles are a cheaper and simpler method of roofing. On how they work, the water flows down by gravity and the shingles will have an overlap that makes the water continue down and not get under the shingle layer. In climates where freezing temperatures are common, a layer of "ice and water" goes on the bottom edge of the roof so any frozen water doesn't work it's way under the shingles and then melts do the roof being warm and geting into the house.
    Why can't you just use something such as concrete applied over the roof? You still did not answer my question as to why can't a roof by "unibody".
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    Why can't you just use something such as concrete applied over the roof? You still did not answer my question as to why can't a roof by "unibody".
    Because house foundations shift overtime as the land under it settels. A solid roof would not flex to compensate for the foundation shift and would crack and fall off anyway. Asphault shingles bend easily and most metal roofs have joints that can expand or contract very slightly. Plus it would be VERY heavy and the house would need to have concrete/brick walls just to support the weight.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

What is a "unibody" roof?

"Shingles" are used as they are quite a good idea.

A flat roof will collect water, whereas an angled roof does not allow any water to settle.

Since the roof of a building tends to be towards the top, a roofing solution that requires as little maintainance as possible is a good idea, that rules out things like plastic, which deteriorate in UV light, and wood, which tends to start rotting unless treated regularly, and felt/bitumen type stuff, which also deteriorates over time.

Stone is quite a good option, as you may have noticed, it resists sunlight, water and wind fairly well. Simply pouring a load of concrete over your roof isn't a great idea since it would be a bit heavy, and would look horrible.

The old method of sticking a bunch of small, overlapping, rectangular tiles of slate, or terracotta, onto a wooden framework has been a roofing success across the globe for hundreds of years, why mess?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    What is a "unibody" roof?

"Shingles" are used as they are quite a good idea.

A flat roof will collect water, whereas an angled roof does not allow any water to settle.

Since the roof of a building tends to be towards the top, a roofing solution that requires as little maintainance as possible is a good idea, that rules out things like plastic, which deteriorate in UV light, and wood, which tends to start rotting unless treated regularly, and felt/bitumen type stuff, which also deteriorates over time.

Stone is quite a good option, as you may have noticed, it resists sunlight, water and wind fairly well. Simply pouring a load of concrete over your roof isn't a great idea since it would be a bit heavy, and would look horrible.

The old method of sticking a bunch of small, overlapping, rectangular tiles of slate, or terracotta, onto a wooden framework has been a roofing success across the globe for hundreds of years, why mess?
    Exactly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Shingles look nice. Especially cedar shakes. Coventry, wood roofing don't need to be treated repeatedly - they don't last as long as the best asphalt shingles, but they'll still last a good while. Shakes (split wood shingles) in particular work better than sawn wood shingles as they don't leave the grain of the wood open (and thus aren't permeated as easily by water). It also naturally depends on the type of wood, but nobody is going to sell shingles made from a type of wood that isn't suited to be used as shingle. Wood roofing around here is always cedar.

Supporting a concrete roof wouldn't be that much of a big deal - keep in mind it doesn't have to be very thick - strength isn't really that much of an issue since a roof needs to meet a certain specification for holding weight anyways (aka snow, ice). It wouldn't be that much of an issue to make the trusses strong enough to cope. That said, a concrete roof would be a hideous retrofit for most residential architecture

If shingles are blowing off your roof and it isn't a hurricane, it means you needed a new roof a long time ago. If your roof is fairly new, then you should call the contractor and get him to bring the roofer back to fix it. (In this case, the roof problem would be the fault of the roofer, not the contractor).
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 09-27-2006 at 11:48 PM.

Hmmm I see the practicality of things now.

How do high-rise buildings deal with these problems?

Water seeps into concrete, then it will freeze and crack in some climates. By unibody I thought you meant metal roofs, where they are just sheets of metal laid on the roof. Can you explain the whole unibody thing more?

Hmmm I see the practicality of things now.

How do high-rise buildings deal with these problems?
    High rise buildings dealing with what problems? If you are talking about flat roof, they all have built in drainage and the roofs aren't really flat, they are shaped so water will drain. And all the heat rising from the floors below will melt the snow and that will just drain off.

Thread Information