Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From 10/10 to 0/10

Mercedes had sorted their problems out recently. Perhaps some updated info would help then?

yeah for the most part.. still some problems with the SUV i recall though, and still some electrical problems, but yeah after the '90's they really have woken up....
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

But its a funny thing, imagine which German guy was there standing, looking at tank built Mercedes of the 80s and think : " zee car vee made, zis too good, vee zud make it like zee yapanese, ze cheeper plaztics pleez. "

i know... i mean who made the decision at mercedes in the '80's that their cars were 'over engineered' and that cutting costs (in rather improtant areas too..) would be a good idea...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    lol. except you're completely wrong, bar the porsche (which is reliable... i should know, lol). BMW's and Audi's, apart from some of the latest models and their more expensives models are consistently plagued by reliability gremlins. just read the dog and lemon guide... or own one, when you grow up.
    seems you are the idiot.... although that is common knowledge due to your other less than useful posts.

edit: and if you really want unreliablity, look no further than mercedes or most things french..
    (in reference to what I have underlined) How can you write that sentence and then call me the idiot. Maybe idiot was a little strong, but I have owned a BMW and it was quite reliable, when it did break after about a year and a half it wasn't economically sensible for me to fix it, as it would have cost more than I paid for the car. Where might I find this dog and lemon guide, I've never heard of it. Don't bring age into this, I really don't think the fact that you are 3 years older than me makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    (in reference to what I have underlined) How can you write that sentence and then call me the idiot. Maybe idiot was a little strong, but I have owned a BMW and it was quite reliable, when it did break after about a year and a half it wasn't economically sensible for me to fix it, as it would have cost more than I paid for the car. Where might I find this dog and lemon guide, I've never heard of it. Don't bring age into this, I really don't think the fact that you are 3 years older than me makes a difference.
    yes - as with all manufacturers not every car will be a lemon; for example chrysler in the '90s admitted that "of every 100 cars we make, 10 will be as good as anything from toyota, 80 will be okay and 10 will give the owner repeated problems". Of course you will get BMW's that work fine - the engines themselves are quite solid but you will come across people who have had a long list of breaks and faults. the dog & lemon guide is a great book with no bullcrap i picked it up from a local newsagent.
    Actually, age does make a difference, as it simply means you've had longer to live with a certain car or to own different cars.

yes - as with all manufacturers not every car will be a lemon; for example chrysler in the '90s admitted that "of every 100 cars we make, 10 will be as good as anything from toyota, 80 will be okay and 10 will give the owner repeated problems". Of course you will get BMW's that work fine - the engines themselves are quite solid but you will come across people who have had a long list of breaks and faults. the dog & lemon guide is a great book with no bullcrap i picked it up from a local newsagent.
    Actually, age does make a difference, as it simply means you've had longer to live with a certain car or to own different cars.
    Do you know if I can get this book in the US. I am very curious as to what exactly it may contain. My '87 325 was a great car-which broke due to my carelessness, I won't go into detail about what I did let's just say it was idiotic as it resulted in the death of my car-now I have been reduced to driving a ford.

it's only $20 AUD so i imagine you could have it posted over for not much more, even though it does miss some US specific models (i'd wait for th enext edition).
    if i had to guess at your BMW did you forget to change the timing belt and belt tensioner?

it's only $20 AUD so i imagine you could have it posted over for not much more, even though it does miss some US specific models (i'd wait for th enext edition).
    if i had to guess at your BMW did you forget to change the timing belt and belt tensioner?
    Is it an anual publication? As for the BMW is was a lot more retarded than that, I took it up to PA with a friend for a little private racing event with some people from my school; when we got there we took the wheels off so that we could be sure that the brakes were working properly and it seems we lacked the presence of mind to make sure the lug nuts were on securely. I took a hard right the front right wheel came off, yes off, and it screwed everything over royally. Needless to say I felt like a complete jackass. In case you are wondering, alcohol was involved.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 10-03-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Is it an anual publication? As for the BMW is was a lot more retarded than that, I took it up to PA with a friend for a little private racing event with some people from my school; when we got there we took the wheels off so that we could be sure that the brakes were working properly and it seems we lacked the presence of mind to make sure the lug nuts were on securely. I took a hard right the front right wheel came off, yes off, and it screwed everything over royally. Needless to say I felt like a complete jackass. In case you are wondering, alcohol was involved.
    lol. can't exactly blame the BMW for that
    it appears to be published every two years or so, at a guess it would probably only cost you $30 USD to get a current copy, which is well worthwhile imo

lol. can't exactly blame the BMW for that
    it appears to be published every two years or so, at a guess it would probably only cost you $30 USD to get a current copy, which is well worthwhile imo
    No, it was my fault entirely; don't drink very much after that. 30dollars isn't bad, I am certainly going to look into getting a copy. I need a new car anyway-Fords suck.

Where might I find this dog and lemon guide, I've never heard of it.
    You can get it from http://dogandlemon.com/ - well worth the read

Thread Information