Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Z06 Roof Problem

So, slicks, would you agree with me saying BOTH the Porsche and Corvette having build-quality issues? (Or is it just the Porsche w/ build-quality problems)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007
    Along with the problems they are having on the Z06, any of you think they will have the same types of issues with the new super vette coming out labeled many things (SS, stingray, Z07, Blue Devil) or will they have worked out all the problems?
    Hopefully not, but I can't say I'd be surprised.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Alright there are more threads on Z06vette.com about roofs and also there are endless other problems such as brakes cracking, clutch pedal sticking, rear end chatter, CV joint failures, spun bearings etc. List goes on and on. I also love this car, but if they dont fix these problems I think more corvette owners will move on to other cars.
    At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, apart from the roof, those problems may all be attributed to driver error. Having recently driven a Z06, I must admit the car feels pretty solid (granted, it had about 200 miles on it.) The craked brakes, rear end chatter, clutch pedal sticking, CV joint failures and spun bearings can be caused by driving the car extremely hard. It's hard to communicate to most Z06 owners that, whereas this car is a factory performance car, it can't be impervious to drive it like a twat and have it be invincible to breaking down. Granted, some of these failures are genuine parts quality problems, but some of these are caused by just poor driving.

CV Joint failure and rear end chatter can come from high rpm clutch dumps (probably exacerbated by the leaf springs)
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    So, slicks, would you agree with me saying BOTH the Porsche and Corvette having build-quality issues? (Or is it just the Porsche w/ build-quality problems)
    Yes, I would, as do many cars.

Alright there are more threads on Z06vette.com about roofs and also there are endless other problems such as brakes cracking, clutch pedal sticking, rear end chatter, CV joint failures, spun bearings etc. List goes on and on. I also love this car, but if they dont fix these problems I think more corvette owners will move on to other cars.
    Cross drilled brakes are known for cracking, no matter who makes them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    CV Joint failure and rear end chatter can come from high rpm clutch dumps (probably exacerbated by the leaf springs)
    A high RPM clutch dump will only resault in smoking rubber. And no, the leaf springs do no cause wheel hop, almost all IRS cars get wheel hop, Porshces especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    A high RPM clutch dump will only resault in smoking rubber. And no, the leaf springs do no cause wheel hop, almost all IRS cars get wheel hop, Porshces especially.
    High RPM clutch drops do not always result in smoking rubber. Have you seen the drag slicks on the rear of the car? It's a bloody 325-series tire. That's a foot wide, making a lot of traction to contend with - creating quite a large amount of stress on the driveline in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightdorifto
    High RPM clutch drops do not always result in smoking rubber. Have you seen the drag slicks on the rear of the car? It's a bloody 325-series tire. That's a foot wide, making a lot of traction to contend with - creating quite a large amount of stress on the driveline in the process.
    On the stock tires, yes it does. They may be 325s but they are runflats, and most importantly at just 2000RPMs the car is making upwards of 380ft.lbs of torque. Launching requires a clutch slip at around 2000-2500RPMs.

QC might not be a Chevy core value, this isn't a revelation. What's more telling is that an owner would treat their car like that. Kinda points to what the owners think of the car.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Odd, then, that you can buy bars to control axle tramp, and they are for cars with leaf sprung rear ends. I remember reading a write up in Street Machine about a TT LS1 Holden Ute and they wrote up how these bars (whose name escapes me, starts with a C IIRC) were fitted to the rear end to stop axle tramp on launch. And it definate wasn't IRS. (Oh, and the only time my dad's LS1, IRS Calais gets axle tramp is on rough roads)
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Odd, then, that you can buy bars to control axle tramp, and they are for cars with leaf sprung rear ends. I remember reading a write up in Street Machine about a TT LS1 Holden Ute and they wrote up how these bars (whose name escapes me, starts with a C IIRC) were fitted to the rear end to stop axle tramp on launch. And it definate wasn't IRS. (Oh, and the only time my dad's LS1, IRS Calais gets axle tramp is on rough roads)
    I dont see exactly what your getting at, you do know that the Corvette has a transversely mounted leaf spring with IRS right?
    That Holden Ute has two leafs holding a solid axle right? Far from what the Corvette has.
    Like I said, almost all IRS cars get axle hop, thats one reason why a solid rear end is superior for drag racing.

The commodore has an extremely similar system to the Corvette.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    The commodore has an extremely similar system to the Corvette.
    post pics/info.

Statement retracted - it's IRS. (at least in the sports variants - 1 ton and workhorse version will differ)
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information