Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the skinny on Ford Falcons?

Quote Originally Posted by csl177
    It's likely Ford would change the name from Falcon if they ever did bring them here.... our Falcon was always an economy car. The platform was the same as the first Mustang, though. And of course the Sprint version had a 260CI, later a 289 V8, pretty sporty. The last US Falcon was based on the Torino, but only lasted a year or two. 1971 and '72 I think.
    For trivia, our current Falcon's base I-6 engine is technically quite contemporary, with features like DOHC with variable timing on both cams, coil-on-plug ignition, electronic throttle, fail-safe coolant protection, etc

Yet this latest engine block STILL shares its bore-centre spacings with its US-Falcon ancestor the 144cid I-6 of 1959 !!

A couple of other Falcon derivatives not in Adrenaline's informative overview are:

Territory a much praised Explorer-sized SUV in RWD or AWD which shares Falcon's structural engine nacelle, the 6cyl drivetrain, rear IRS and a few bits, but otherwise quite different including body

Fairlane & LTD, both of which are basically upmarket LWB variants of Falcon. These were once very popular vehicles but sales of both models have withered alarmingly in recent years
    Ford has sold 288 Fairlanes in the first three months of 2006, down 24 per cent from 379 at the same time last year.

So far this year Ford has sold just seven examples of the flagship LTD.
    http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleId=11466

The above link about Fairlane possibly being dropped is a bit sad for Ford fans here, especially because of another bit of trivia for you . Falcon is the second longest continuously running model name in the automotive world behind Fairlane, which first appeared locally in 1959. In Oz the Falcon traces back to 1960. (Fairlane debuted in the US in 1955 but the model has long since disappeared over there)

You guys in NA must find it amusing to see all these ancient Ford nameplates still in use down here .. Falcon, Futura, Fairlane & LTD
    Last edited by nota; 10-14-2006 at 05:37 AM.

There was talk a while back that the new long wheelbase falcon architecture would replace the panther architecture for the 2009 Crown Vic. I don't see that happening, as LWB in Australia is a dying breed, and Ford couldn't possibly be smart enough to share platforms globally like GM is doing with commodore They would rather develop two different LWB platforms on different sides of the world for use on the same kind of vehicle. If only they merged the Falcon and 500...It's just common sense. But they don't.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

The above link about Fairlane possibly being dropped is a bit sad for Ford fans here, especially because of another bit of trivia for you . Falcon is the second longest continuously running model name in the automotive world behind Fairlane, which first appeared locally in 1959. In Oz the Falcon traces back to 1960. (Fairlane debuted in the US in 1955 but the model has long since disappeared over there)
    The American Fairlane concept is confirmed for production (2008). I'd say it's likely they will rename the production model though. In other news, I drove an Aussie Fairlane Ghia today
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    For the base models (XT and Futura) there is the Barra 190 (an inline 6) with 190kW of power. There is an optional E-gas variant of the Barra engine which runs on gas, and an optional V8 (with 230kW).
    it actually has 260kw
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo
    it actually has 260kw
    Its 230 kw for the SOHC version of the v8. You can only get the DOHC version on the xr8, not on normal falcons
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    Its 230 kw for the SOHC version of the v8. You can only get the DOHC version on the xr8, not on normal falcons
    Does anyone else think that Ford might be limiting themselves a bit by doing that? I mean you can get a boggo-spec SS, or a Calais, or Berlina with a 270kw 6lt V8
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I guess they are, I would love to see what a fairmont ghia looked like with meaner wheels and a bonnet bulge.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    I guess they are, I would love to see what a fairmont ghia looked like with meaner wheels and a bonnet bulge.
    Actually, I don't think a bonnet bulge would suit the look and style of the Fairmont, so probably no 260kw one then...oh well, they can make a turbo one then!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Ford really sucks. They should have realized that the models here suck and pre engineered the Falcons for left hand drive. If they did, they wouldn't be losing out on a potential new market. Now they just have to sit and wait for the new platform while their profits go on a nosedive.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Ford really sucks. They should have realized that the models here suck and pre engineered the Falcons for left hand drive. If they did, they wouldn't be losing out on a potential new market. Now they just have to sit and wait for the new platform while their profits go on a nosedive.
    I don't see how you can justify that statement. Ford's US line up might be extraordinarilly unimpressive, but the do make some pretty good cars. The Focus ST is quite nice. They made the Puma, and are partial owners of Mazda-who are responsible for the Rx8. Ford has made some good decisions over the years, resulting in some great cars. The Rs200, Rs2000 and so many more cars were fantastic and came with a blue oval on the front.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Alright. I'll justify by saying that their product lineup (in North America) is extremely boring. The GT's gone. The Thunderbird and Ford 500 were both flops. The Mustang is the only thing basically keeping alive. The Fusion/Zephyr/Milan are all uninspiring, although an improvement from the past. Mazda's doing fine, but the Fords are all just... so boring. Besides that, the trucks are all doing fine, but I'm not a truck guy. Just my opinion.

Fords are still good cars. Just because they are boring, doesn't mean they suck. That would be like me saying Honda sucks because I find them boring.

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

It's a shame Ford won't let us have any of these. Wonder why? They could sell these in North America for sure. The styling is appealing, muscular and not retro at all... love the Pursuit Ute!
    No LHD at the moment, But if more of you guys ask for them and show interest they might have no choice but to call Aus
    Maybe you're right... the GTO was looking good, lotsa press, and then nada. Maybe we like our Escalades and Navigators tooooo much.
    Pontiac added ugly too the beautiful Monaro
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    There was talk a while back that the new long wheelbase falcon architecture would replace the panther architecture for the 2009 Crown Vic. I don't see that happening, as LWB in Australia is a dying breed, and Ford couldn't possibly be smart enough to share platforms globally like GM is doing with commodore They would rather develop two different LWB platforms on different sides of the world for use on the same kind of vehicle. If only they merged the Falcon and 500...It's just common sense. But they don't.
    Thats good new, I got one word for the CV.......Shit
    WTF!? Ford US suck it's there fault if they wanted real cars they should have ask Ford Oz too engineer LHD cars now they suffer blame the yanks.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    Fords are still good cars. Just because they are boring, doesn't mean they suck. That would be like me saying Honda sucks because I find them boring.
    Compare Ford US to Ford Euro or Australia, Ford US is so different. The product offerings are so varied that it's like night and day. The offerings in Europe or Australia are so much better than the ones in North America. I find it offensive that they don't offer them here. America is missing out big time. I bet you that if they ported them over to here that the Americans would love the Falcons. It's like a 4 door Mustang. With decreasing truck sales, they better bring a good sedan over here.

Sorry SlickHolden, I wasn't blaming the Aussies, I was blaming the Americans for not noticing that no one likes the Ford products in the US. It's like Ford US is completely blind! They don't realize that they could offer better products here in America but they don't offer them anyway.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 10-14-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Compare Ford US to Ford Euro or Australia, Ford US is so different. The product offerings are so varied that it's like night and day. The offerings in Europe or Australia are so much better than the ones in North America. I find it offensive that they don't offer them here. America is missing out big time. I bet you that if they ported them over to here that the Americans would love the Falcons. It's like a 4 door Mustang. With decreasing truck sales, they better bring a good sedan over here.

Sorry SlickHolden, I was only reffering to the products in America. I actually like the Australian products.
    I agree with you. They need uprgraded product lines, and yes the Euro and Aus produsct are more impressive, that doesn't make what they sell here bad.

Thread Information