Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari Enzo VS MacLaren F1

Ferrari Enzo VS MacLaren F1

Last edited by D'ARTOIS; 10-30-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Not what I was expecting to see when I clicked the link.
    In a good way, that is.
    Thanks for the video link.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

hadn't seen that one, very good
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Err?
    Thanks for all the fish

The problem with the Fifth gear test is that they've used the wrong McLaren. They've used the LM, which is essentially the race car made road legal. Fun ... definitely, but not the one to compare with the Enzo.

I don't know both cars that good so that I can give some worthwile opinion, but on the other hand I know that it is very difficult for magazines in general to get hold of multimillion cars. Specifically automotive journalists are considered as pest when it concerns testdrives.
    I remember when I was chief-editor of a magazine that we wanted to do an issue about the Alpine V6 then brandnew on the market and only 2 protypes excisted. One was already very soon returned by the autojournalist, unfortunately not in one piece.
    We got the car finally but had to promise not to go to the limit. The Alpine V6 turned out to be not very exciting - now I can very well understand the fear when you hand over such sensitive cars - that require more than average drivers - to a over-enthousiastic journalist-driver.....

If you find somebody who owns such cars and willing to hand over the key to you, what do you say?.............

Guest Guest
    The McLaren F1 has always been better than the Enzo for me, and the noise of it just sured that up!

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    The problem with the Fifth gear test is that they've used the wrong McLaren. They've used the LM, which is essentially the race car made road legal. Fun ... definitely, but not the one to compare with the Enzo.
    I don't think its the lm. the lm was 5 specially made cars rather than ones converted later or so I thought. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    I don't think its the lm. the lm was 5 specially made cars rather than ones converted later or so I thought. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
    The one in the video is an LM. I've heard a lot about the person who owns the cars; there was an article about him and his LM in a magazine (the McLaren F1 issue of Classic and Sportscar I believe).

The converted cars had the road going interior and the aero package was quite different. If you look closely on this car you can actually see the LM insignia plastered about too. This is a genuine LM and not a convert like Nick Mason's.

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    Tiff mentions right before he gets in the F1, that it's the race version converted back to road use, it's the LM.

Thanks for the vid link D'ARTOIS.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

To start with, I am not totally a stranger to Ferrari's, I hate them and I love them dearly - in any case I observed both cars closely and - frankly - I would feel more comfortable in the Ferrari, that I can tell you now. Although - the F1 sounds like a real racing car - the sound of this car warns you like "Be careful, I am not a pussy car" - what will happen if you push such a car to it's extreme limits?

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Tiff mentions right before he gets in the F1, that it's the race version converted back to road use, it's the LM.
    The LM was never a race version though - it did share some of the components, but it was never a conversion of anything - they were built that way.

Sultan of Brunei has 3, I believe Ralph Lauren has one, so this would be the only other?

Can't be arsed to sit through the vid to find the quote - but does Tiff say that one of the seats is taken up with all the electronics?

I'm pretty sure the LM had use of all 3 seats.
    Thanks for all the fish

This car a 1996 GTR. #016R to be exact. I have seen this car when it was in Maranello Motorsport last year, it has since been sold and is now residing in England. The owner posts an F1 related forum.

The car previously wore a BMW FINA livery, and participated in the 1996 Le Mans, where it placed 11th.

http://www.maranellomotorsport.com/sold.asp

If you look closely on the wheels of the McLaren you can see it's written GTR.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    Why not? The Enzo is always resorted to as the closest to getting a Formula 1 car street legal. It's basically a race car in itself.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Thread Information