Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New supercar Shleby Aero

New supercar Shleby Aero

Well I figured this owuld be a great palce to get the word out on a new American made super car. It fits into the Lambo Ferrari category but is made in the USA. A friend of mines uncle has jsut created his own company and car after many years of building Lambo's. Its called the Shelby Aero and is totally custom and original. It has 750+ hp so give it a look and get back to me on your opinions so that i can get them to him. thanks. the site is http://www.shelbysupercars.com

ok lets star off by saying 1. wow that is a hot car 2. 10 secs over 1/4 3. 0-60 in 3secs im drooling over it gtg get a towel

is it street legal?

but all around its a nice car. but would shelby like it if your friends dad use the name? 3.1 second is hella fast like the ford gt90. and a top speed of 260 mph. what is american cars getting too. new things every year like the chrysler me-12. i would love to drive this car if i get a hand of it

Yes it street legal the only thing left is a crash test, ahhh lol. Second Shelby is his last name so its ok for him to use it. Yes they will be sold street legal athlete4s like edgar martinez and other seattle mariners are alreayd looking into them.

Great performance figures , but the design man !! Don't you think it's too Lamborghini ... it's like an old diablo fitted with bodykit
    anyway .. thanks for sharing the info
    * Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

it looks like a Diablo with the side intakes off a Murcielago
    I am the Stig

Wow.... thanks for posting that!

With this and the Koenigsegg CCR, the ante has been seriously upped. Quadruple digits can't be too far away...*

*No, they Veyron does not count. It will produce less than 1000hp, and production is well over a year away, if ever. Thanks in advance for not trying to make this argument

hmm...Why am I not thrilled?

Let's see...probably because it's a carbon fiber body over a tubular steel frame! Perhaps because only one car has been built? (don't bring up the purple one...because I call photoshop, and a poor job). An aluminum V8? Somebody with the same last name as Caroll Shelby trying to cash in on his namesake? A super shady website with extremely little information? One engine bay shot? Reupholstered racing seats available out of any magazine?

This car is nowhere near the level of the Koenginginno2bnobsg or similarly priced ferrari's. I'm not a saleen fan and I rank it significantly less than that.

Here's what I would do: Buy an Ultima GTR, fully optioned out, for 80k. Then, I'll spend 20k on an engine. That's gonna be a damned nice engine. Maybe twin intercooled turbos for fun. Then, I'm gonna spend 40K on carbon fiber molds and a body. Since I want to impress my friends I'll spend 10k on my interior, which will be lined with the freshly removed fur of 1000 baby seals. Next, I'm going to take the 90K$ I have left and throw the biggest crack party ever and drive real fast. Oh yeah, the ultima will probably be lighter too.

I don't mean to be a dick but I'm not impressed and I don't see this car going anywhere. Family member or not you can get a better car for far less.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

I couldn't get on their site when this was first posted, and was intrigued by everyone's comments.

Now that I have seen it though.
    Pagani Zonda
    Koenigsegg C8

That is how to produce a brand new supercar.
    The goal posts for supercars have been moved quite some way since the 1990's (A period that this car looks like its from).

I don't like the styling its all very "design by numbers"
    The front lights look like they're from the B Engineering Edonis, those Lamborghini scissor doors, those rear lights from the Mclaren F1/ Ultima/ Saleen S7/ Pagani Zonda.

It looks like a badly done GRP body, with a cheap plastic look that is further enhanced by that really crap paint job.

Quoting huge performace figures is all well and good, but do the have the testing to show that these are valid and reliable claims.

How exactly did they work out 249mph?
    What about aerodynamics and cooling? Is it stable at 250mph? Will the engine blow up after 1 second at 250mph?
    How many times can you do the 0-60mph sprint in 3.11 seconds before the transmission fails?

If Bugatti with all of VW's millions can't get their car to 250mph why should I believe these people can.

Also for that ammount of money, and from a small unknown company, I would expect a whole lot more that 1 year warranty. I would expect an unrivalled level of servicing and customer care.

1 year warranty is what you get with your honda civic, not a 800bhp highly tuned supercar.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    a cheap plastic look that is further enhanced by that really crap paint job.
    Basing my judgement on a couple years of bodywork and painting experience, I can't for the life of me see anything wrong with the paint. If it's just because you don't like the colour, your argument isn't valid.

How exactly did they work out 249mph?
    What about aerodynamics and cooling? Is it stable at 250mph? Will the engine blow up after 1 second at 250mph?
    The engine will not "blow" up redlining at 250mph in sixth than it would in any other gear, or neutral for that matter. Why would it?

How many times can you do the 0-60mph sprint in 3.11 seconds before the transmission fails?
    This is an invalid argument, because you can apply it to essentially any car. 0-60 statistics are nearly always based on a complete ravaging of the clutch and gearbox, often acheived by slamming it from first to second without even clutching.

If Bugatti with all of VW's millions can't get their car to 250mph why should I believe these people can.
    Because this car weighs 1230kg, while the Bugatti weighs 1900 kg, that's why.

1 year warranty is what you get with your honda civic, not a 800bhp highly tuned supercar.
    In general, warranties for popular economy cars last much longer than those of supercars. The Aero's 1-year is fairly standard procedure, actually.

Anyway, it seems as if you've judged this car pretty harshly...you're allowed to be opinionated about asthetics, but if I were you I'd wait until it's shown to be a good/bad car before I make other outrightly negative claims. Because really, you're not basing what you've said on anything. I say give it a chance.

Thumbs down

nogger-
    go back and take a good look at this car. review the website carefully. I consider you to be one of the most knowledgable on this board, but you might be a little overly optimistic. Watch the videos. There is NOTHING to indicate a valid 0-60 time or 1/4 mile. No dyno sheets or view of the output while it's on the dyno. The information they give you is so limited, I almost believe the entire website to be a hoax. I wouldn't be that surprised if hblover comes back and says "y'all been zapped..."

Now I'm no pro engine builder, but I'm pretty sure a punched out 350 stands no chance of making 780hp N/A. Since "Shelby" makes no allusion to turbo or supercharging, I find that impossible to believe. I don't even think nascar engines put out figures like that, and those are larger in displacement. Consider the Koensigningwngon- 650 HP out of a supercharged 4.7 DOHC ford block. I don't know who they're kidding, but I doubt any engine builder has ever eeked 780 out of a SBC without forced induction. Perhaps they make their own engines...but do you really think a startup company that uses a steel frame is going to cast they're own engine? hardly. If we were talking carbon fiber monocoques and ceramic brakes I might not put it out of the question, but we're talking garage mechanic parts here. Autozone parts. "hey jegs, gimme the biggest brakes you got" parts.

And don't be so quick to dismiss coventrysucks. "shelby" makes no comment on the type of gearbox. Is it a six speed sequential? A paddleshift like the enzo? an automatic out of a Cadillac eldorado? What is it? In the kit car industry, finding a viable gearbox is damned near impossible, and since I have no reason to believe this is more than an overgrown kit car, I want to know what kind of tranny we're talking here. Not even the porsche 930 gearbox can hold 780 hp, so we better be talking some serious parts here.

And since nobody has been able to eclipse mclaren's 241, why should some Bull sh-t kit car be able to do it? And about the paint...reminds me of an American mclaren....hmm...how about the one that was on the cover of Road and Track? Yeah...it's exactly the same color.

So we've got an unheard of company using somebody else's name trying to sell a mediocre car for quadruple the cost of build with no proof of any performance specs or pictures of the engine bay.

Is this a joke?
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by HBloverb18
    A friend of mines uncle has jsut created his own company and car after many years of building Lambo's. [/url]
    after many years of building lambos.....lambo kit cars...it all makes sense now....
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    Now I'm no pro engine builder, but I'm pretty sure a punched out 350 stands no chance of making 780hp N/A. Since "Shelby" makes no allusion to turbo or supercharging, I find that impossible to believe. I don't even think nascar engines put out figures like that, and those are larger in displacement. Consider the Koensigningwngon- 650 HP out of a supercharged 4.7 DOHC ford block. I don't know who they're kidding, but I doubt any engine builder has ever eeked 780 out of a SBC without forced induction

i'd say Egg Nog is quite familiar with a certain 914 fitted with a 350 that is pushing over 700hp in naturally aspirated tune. to some people impossible is just another challenge
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    i'd say Egg Nog is quite familiar with a certain 914 fitted with a 350 that is pushing over 700hp in naturally aspirated tune. to some people impossible is just another challenge
    I'd say you should go back to the website. www.v8914.com . Twin suprex(?) screw-type superchargers. TWO superchargers, on a 350 .030 over. No, I still say the max for a small block under 400cubes is going to be between 6 and 700. And that's the MAXIMUM.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

well thats my mistake then, sorry.

thats still not to say that 700hp hasnt been achieved through means of natural aspiration from a 350. Ive heard of RX-7's with 350 conversions that are pushing 700hp.

i may be quoting figures from a race engine here, but the 305 cubic inch V8 Supercar engines produce 620hp and a healthy 680nm of torque as well.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information