Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your most desired road to drive or have driven

Best road I've driven/riden: The Uriarria-Brindabella-Cotter-Paddy's River Road Run, best run in Canberra.

Want to drive/ride: The GOR, Tail of the Dragon (seen heaps of vids of guys on bikes along there,) Mt Panorama (completely disregarding the speed limit, full tilt down Conrod) Bells Line Road
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I have driven The Tail and some roads through McLean, Va, id have to say the roads through McLean beat The Tail, they require MUCH more concentration...

The best road I have driven is probably the Collada the Toses or the twisty nothern Italian motorways (can't remember the name).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The A9 from Inverness to Thurso, The Lecht road (A939) between Ballater and Grantown on Spey, and the A93 between the Ski centre and the Spittal are my favourite roads in Scotland

I would like to drive the Stelvio Pass in the Italian Alps.
    autozine.org

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Have driven: Pacific Coast Highway, between San Francisco and Big Sur; also, Highway 84 from the coast into Redwood City, CA

Want to drive: the rest of the PCH, and retrace the route of Route 66
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Have driven: Pacific Coast Highway, between San Francisco and Big Sur; also, Highway 84 from the coast into Redwood City, CA

Want to drive: the rest of the PCH, and retrace the route of Route 66
    The problem with 66 (what is left of it) from what I have heard is that it is so poorly marked and split up from what it was before 1975 that it is very difficult to navigate. Much of the road was integrated with I-40 and the few remaining stretches have become state or county roads. Anyone know any more about this who has actually traveled it?

I traveled a lot of the same route (I-40 where it fronts Rte. 66) from the Mojave Desert in Southern California through to West Texas. What you said is indeed correct. That's exactly why I'd have to retrace the route of it rather than drive the whole way on Route 66 itself.

There is an Arizona Historic Route 66 which is the only preserved part of the road managed by a state government as I know right now but there might be more in New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

None in Texas, and some very, very limited but poorly maintained stretches in Illinois. New Mexico doesn't have much either unfortunately. I don't know about Oklahoma or Missouri, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for them, either...

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser View Post
    Driven the roads of North Wales.. Territory for road tests for a few UK car mags.
    Clive and I have just come back From North Wales, and the roads were amazing! especially the ones near snowdon and betws-y-coed. We drove on some of the best roads ever!!

Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    Clive and I have just come back From North Wales, and the roads were amazing! especially the ones near snowdon and betws-y-coed. We drove on some of the best roads ever!!

Sophie
    When I'm able to, I plan to head straight up there, having hasd some driving experience first, obviously, those roads near Betws-y-coed are meant to be spectacular according to the guys at Evo Magazine, they use those roads for their evo Car Of The Year specials.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    When I'm able to, I plan to head straight up there, having hasd some driving experience first, obviously, those roads near Betws-y-coed are meant to be spectacular according to the guys at Evo Magazine, they use those roads for their evo Car Of The Year specials.
    I'm really surprised that Clive hasn't commented on this one yet!

the roads to betws-y-coed are awesome! they are a really good drive, and you can get upto some speed! there is some amazing views as well... it's all good!

We even went to the pub the people from evo went to ... not that we wanted to follow in their footsteps of course.. wouldn't mind their cars though!

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    I'm really surprised that Clive hasn't commented on this one yet!

the roads to betws-y-coed are awesome! they are a really good drive, and you can get upto some speed! there is some amazing views as well... it's all good!

We even went to the pub the people from evo went to ... not that we wanted to follow in their footsteps of course.. wouldn't mind their cars though!
    Personally, I'd have taken the little Suzuki! Tell me you had a camera handy...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Thread Information