Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: autozine

Quote Originally Posted by Distress
    Actually, advertising can also draw people away. Then again, advertisement is usually on popular forums where no one cares for new members.
    Why would a firm advertise ona forum where noone cares for new members? How do those forums attract sponsors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Distress
    I promise to never advertise on my forum.
    We're not talking only about a forum here. The main thing is the webpage.
    Those websites that don't have advertising income will never reach professional levels of quality. Try to remember of a great car magazine without padvertising pages. Yep. There is none.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    The content is original in the sense that I write and shoot it. Of course I use sources, mostly off-line sources even. Do you really think Mark Wan goes anywhere to shoot / drive the cars he reports about? His reports are related to other people's work in a whole other level than mine.
    Ok then, we agree that neither content is original. I don't say it in a bad way, but that's the way it is
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I think your misconception is here that you think the forum is the site. It is not, it is a byproduct. If you would for instance look at the forum indexpage, you can see how many people are online, and how many (few) of those are forum members, or actually viewing the forums.
    I interpreted it in a bad way. I mean both of them

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    Ok then, we agree that neither content is original. I don't say it in a bad way, but that's the way it is
    No we don't agree. The articles I write are original and the photographs I take are original.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

No we don't agree. The articles I write are original and the photographs I take are original.
    It seems that the content is only original when you build the car yourself.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

If you look back at my posts I say that the pictures are original (except the ones coming from press releases, which are included in most sites anyway). No doubt about that .

And the content that you write, you write it yourself, with lots of personal effort . But don't you read other sources before you write it?

Let me include a random example. On the Aston Martin DB2/4 Mk II Touring Spyder page I can read: "There was a major revision for 1956 with the introduction of the three litre version of the six cylinder engine to form the DB2/4 Mk II".

Perfectly correct information and accurate. But I would assume that you did a research on this car and found out about this piece of information. I admit that it is really difficult to gather all these data. That is what I'm talking about.

Let me include a random example. On the Aston Martin DB2/4 Mk II Touring Spyder page I can read: "There was a major revision for 1956 with the introduction of the three litre version of the six cylinder engine to form the DB2/4 Mk II".
    So if he opens up the bonnet of a 1956 model and measures the engine and finds that it is a 3-litre and subsequently reports about it, it would then be original?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

So if he opens up the bonnet of a 1956 model and measures the engine and finds that it is a 3-litre and subsequently reports about it, it would then be original?
    my interpretation of original is that it isnt company propoganda/influencine/relationship, bonnet contents is subjective and factual, and isnt really concerned with original/copy. i think...
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    my interpretation of original is that it isnt company propoganda/influencine/relationship, bonnet contents is subjective and factual, and isnt really concerned with original/copy. i think...
    the issue is that somebody else (in fact first the factory) mentioned that they changed engine size. So if you report about that it can never be original. But that is rather trivial as very few people now remember what the factory said in 1956.

Coming back to Autozine, the author makes it look like he drove many of the cars he describes. He mentions on the site that he got inspired by the magazine Autocar, and I would not be surprised at all if the "roadtest" produced on Autozine are very nice transcripts of the autocar tests. Not that I mind but I think that is far less original content than looking at various sources, eventually talk with owners and other experts and make a synthesis thereof...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

the issue is that somebody else (in fact first the factory) mentioned that they changed engine size. So if you report about that it can never be original. But that is rather trivial as very few people now remember what the factory said in 1956.

Coming back to Autozine, the author makes it look like he drove many of the cars he describes. He mentions on the site that he got inspired by the magazine Autocar, and I would not be surprised at all if the "roadtest" produced on Autozine are very nice transcripts of the autocar tests. Not that I mind but I think that is far less original content than looking at various sources, eventually talk with owners and other experts and make a synthesis thereof...
    i repect you for investigating the site, i was waiting for someone to bring up the fact that autozine thinks autozine=car bible. i agree and tend not too trust that aspect of the site.
    autozine.org

i repect you for investigating the site, i was waiting for someone to bring up the fact that autozine thinks autozine=car bible. i agree and tend not too trust that aspect of the site.
    thank you, but that "someone" is not me....

hahah, i meant to say autozine thinks AUTOCAr=car bible.
    autozine.org

hahah, i meant to say autozine thinks AUTOCAr=car bible.
    yep, sorry...misread that. Fact is that autozine comprises a lot of objectively verifiable (and mostly readily available facts) in one database, but that is about the only value-added element of the site.

Only if he has the copyright for the measurement method

Only if he has the copyright for the measurement method
    maybe you should start a new thread called article originality law..
    autozine.org

Thread Information