Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: multiple turbo diesel madness

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I didn't, and admiteddly my short diesel experience is limited to a rather awful Audi A6 2.5 TDI Quattro. That had an awful sound and no low range punch.

However no that long ago I had the opportunity to drive shortly one of the new BMW 330i. Now I know it is seriously ugly, but what a car. The engine was sweet, willing to rev and good sounding. The diesel should be very good indeed to beat it.

I reckon that for people that do very high mileages the diesel is a better option, but I think that for pleasure of driving pushing a good petrol engine to the redline it's still better than pushing a diesel engine, even if the diesel is better performing and more frugal.

Of course that's just my opinion. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but at least for now I wouldn't be buying a diesel car over the equivalent petrol, alotugh that doesn't mean that if I tested it I could end liking it. Somehow I doubt it, though.
    I've had plenty of experience with Audi A6 2.5TDI's as courtesy cars and test-drive cars, they really were good, but I have to say it was better in the A4 Avant, it literally can make that car fly, noting from the back seat...

I've just been out in my ex girlfriends Dad's '06 Mercedes ML320 CDI I have to say it's the most refined diesel I've ever been in, maybe even car over all. The engine was almost silent and by god it can move that car. I can tell you for one that it packs quite a punch. Standstil, then flooring it on a roundabout. Head + Window = ouch!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    I've had plenty of experience with Audi A6 2.5TDI's as courtesy cars and test-drive cars, they really were good, but I have to say it was better in the A4 Avant, it literally can make that car fly, noting from the back seat...
    I will always remeber driving my uncle's A6 2.5 TDI Quattro. I was doing about 70km/h in 4th, just driving up a small hill. I put my foot down, and guess what happened... nothing.

Not to mention the distinctive and pure breed tractor noise when you started it on a cold morning...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I will always remeber driving my uncle's A6 2.5 TDI Quattro. I was doing about 70km/h in 4th, just driving up a small hill. I put my foot down, and guess what happened... nothing.

Not to mention the distinctive and pure breed tractor noise when you started it on a cold morning...
    that would have been at about 12-1300 revs.....try that in a petrol engined car...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    that would have been at about 12-1300 revs.....try that in a petrol engined car...
    what about a bmw 335i, max torque at 1300rpm? i dont know if that would work either.
    autozine.org

Maybe his was duff? Maybe Tiptronic makes a difference in Automode Tractor noise, that still comes with Audi's 3.0TDI when started on a cold morning, hell, so does dude over the road's and up the roads Saab 93 SportWagon & Saloon 1.9TDi
    So does my friends Dad's Ford Mondeo 1.9TDCi
    So does dude over the roads VW Passat 1.9TDI
    So does lady down the roads Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI
    So does other lady down the roads Peugeot 406 Estate whichever it is HDi
    So does dude up the roads LandRover Freelander TD4
    So does other man up the roads Toyota HiLux 2.4 D-4D
    So does man round the backs VW Passat Estate 1.9TDI
    So did our old (95-99) LandRover Discovery 2.5TDI
    So does man next doors Ford Fiesta something TDCi
    soe does mn othersides Jeep Cherokee CRD
    So does my friends Mum's Jeep Cherokee 2.5D

You get my point now?

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    what about a bmw 335i, max torque at 1300rpm? i dont know if that would work either.
    yep, that is the biturbo version, will work, don't know about the exact gearing though.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Alright I'll try that in the Mini... and I'll tell you the results...
    Visca Catalunya!

Maybe his was duff? Maybe Tiptronic makes a difference in Automode Tractor noise, that still comes with Audi's 3.0TDI when started on a cold morning, hell, so does dude over the road's and up the roads Saab 93 SportWagon & Saloon 1.9TDi
    So does my friends Dad's Ford Mondeo 1.9TDCi
    So does dude over the roads VW Passat 1.9TDI
    So does lady down the roads Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI
    So does other lady down the roads Peugeot 406 Estate whichever it is HDi
    So does dude up the roads LandRover Freelander TD4
    So does other man up the roads Toyota HiLux 2.4 D-4D
    So does man round the backs VW Passat Estate 1.9TDI
    So did our old (95-99) LandRover Discovery 2.5TDI
    So does man next doors Ford Fiesta something TDCi
    soe does mn othersides Jeep Cherokee CRD
    So does my friends Mum's Jeep Cherokee 2.5D

You get my point now?
    The things is, all VAG diesel engines sound like tractors, they've always sounded like that. Hot or cold, doesn't matter.
    Anyway we used to own a Audi 2.5 TDI. It sucked, big time. Last audi to enter our family.
    That said, I love diesel engines altough I would like to see some higher revving diesels developed.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/t...aft.131909.htm

a link for those who speak German. AMS makes a comparison between a hybrid Lexus, and Audi A6 petrol and a Mercedes EV8 CDi. Just one line to quote:

"Geht es flott voran, ist der Diesel der leiseste diese Antriebvarianten".

Free translation: When you are driving and accelarating fast, the Diesel is the most silent of the three engine concepts.

Of course there is the point of sound insulation but to call a Diesel a tractor all the time smells like prejudice.
    Last edited by henk4; 11-20-2006 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    The things is, all VAG diesel engines sound like tractors, they've always sounded like that. Hot or cold, doesn't matter.
    Anyway we used to own a Audi 2.5 TDI. It sucked, big time. Last audi to enter our family.
    That said, I love diesel engines altough I would like to see some higher revving diesels developed.
    Petrol Audi's, thats what you want!

But all diesels sound like modern tractors. And by god! Tractors run 4/5/6 cylinder diesel engines too!!!

Motion & Emotion

Becuase of the price difference?
    The price diference equals the horse power... 200 vs 240...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Petrol Audi's, thats what you want!
    I'd still prefer a nice french Diesel They are ahead of the rest and for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by waterfall(correct spelling;) )
    But all diesels sound like modern tractors. And by god! Tractors run 4/5/6 cylinder diesel engines too!!!
    The sound of it doesnt bother me at all. If you drive a performance vehicle you expect a nice sound,sure,but not in a comfortable (pref. french ) family car. The other characteristics of a diesel I find,make it preferable over petrol engines.

Try to drive a Toyota Avensis with that 2.2 (?) diesle engine. You need a serious car to keep up with it. The huge amount of torque makes for greta fun and heavy tire use It just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling !!! If you get the chance, try it ! (i heard stories of it beating a M5,cant verify it though ).

Plus the biggest benefit offcourse is it's efficiency. The petrol cars have reached about their limits and slowly tend towards higher fuel consumption as before(Euro3,4,5). Diesel engines are maybe halfway in their development !!! I dont know about other countries,but the fuel is cheaper here too

And then the fact that it is better for the environment to produce Most people dont know that diesel gets just 2 ditilling processes and petrol 6 or 7. Each stage heat and energy in the form of motion is added. This causes it to be about as good for the environment as diesel(As explained by a friend who studies for a job in (fuel)-refining). Diesel just burns the "dirty" particles somewhere else

Well,what is there to say more than this:
    mE dIEsEl pWnS yAw SkAIlaiNes,dAwg
    Last edited by drakkie; 11-20-2006 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    I'd still prefer a nice french Diesel They are ahead of the rest and for a reason

The sound of it doesnt bother me at all. If you drive a performance vehicle you expect a nice sound,sure,but not in a comfortable (pref. french ) family car. The other characteristics of a diesel I find,make it preferable over petrol engines.

Try to drive a Toyota Avensis with that 2.2 (?) diesle engine. You need a serious car to keep up with it. The huge amount of torque makes for greta fun and heavy tire use It just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling !!! If you get the chance, try it ! (i heard stories of it beating a M5,cant verify it though ).

Plus the biggest benefit offcourse is it's efficiency. The petrol cars have reached about their limits and slowly tend towards higher fuel consumption as before(Euro3,4,5). Diesel engines are maybe halfway in their development !!! I dont know about other countries,but the fuel is cheaper here too

And then the fact that it is better for the environment to produce Most people dont know that diesel gets just 2 ditilling processes and petrol 6 or 7. Each stage heat and energy in the form of motion is added. This causes it to be about as good for the environment as diesel(As explained by a friend who studies for a job in (fuel)-refining). Diesel just burns the "dirty" particles somewhere else

Well,what is there to say more than this:
    mE dIEsEl pWnS yAw SkAIlaiNes,dAwg
    nice contribution. of cousre diesels are known for their mid-range punch. in a formal sense power (petrols better attribute) moves the car faster (consider high speed drag) and torque (diesels better attribute) is what causes the vehice to move away (from rest or at speed) under its own inertia.

theoretically a vehicle simply wont move from rest if it hasnt got the minmum required torque (tangable) and its power (non-tangable, its a rate) is only a rating to how quickly it can get to its destination.

of course diesels have a lot of power these days.
    autozine.org

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/t...aft.131909.htm

a link for those who speak German. AMS makes a comparison between a hybrid Lexus, and Audi A6 petrol and a Mercedes EV8 CDi. Just one line to quote:

"Geht es flott voran, ist der Diesel der leiseste diese Antriebvarianten".

Free translation: When you are driving and accelarating fast, the Diesel is the most silent of the three engine concepts.

Of course there is the point of sound insulation but to call a Diesel a tractor all the time smells like prejudice.
    I think that what we have to understand is that everyone has its preferences, and we have to respect them. Oyu are not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. Let's say that both diesel and petrol have it's advantages and disadvantages, and leave it at that.

And drakkie, petrol engines haven't reached their limits. If anything diesels have been showing a bit of decrease on new ways of finding more efficency. Wait till variable geometry turbos and direct fuel injection popularise. Petrol engines are fighting back...
    Last edited by Ferrer; 11-20-2006 at 09:14 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

Let's say that both diesel and petrol have it's advantages and disadvantages, and leave it at that.
    I agree if you can give me the advantages of a petrol engine

Thread Information