Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiration Types

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    I have a life and a job rebuilding motors and restoring cars.
    Yes, it was a typo, I meant 750n/a rather than a 750f/i.

You can kiss my polish ass about the abbreviations.
    I think we all know that...

just out of curiousity I don't believe saying you like NA engines better means much. A stock rover V8 is NA but almost everyone loves the SCed one. Also if an engine is NA with 750hp then it is more likely that it is a small V8 super tuned to rev to 12-14000rpm. I haven't seen many NA 750hp engines that aren't high reving F1 wannabes. My question is when you meant to say you would rather have a 750hp NA engine instead of one that uses FI I would like to know if you were thinking of a certain motor?
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    just out of curiousity I don't believe saying you like NA engines better means much.
    Well christ almighty, i guess i better close this thread right now if thats the case. If liking naturally aspiration doesnt mean much, the same must go for a preferance of superchargers, turbo's or nitrous. Therefore there doesnt seem to be any relevant discussion that can go on here.

Quite obviously, none of that is the case.

Also if an engine is NA with 750hp then it is more likely that it is a small V8 super tuned to rev to 12-14000rpm. I haven't seen many NA 750hp engines that aren't high reving F1 wannabes. My question is when you meant to say you would rather have a 750hp NA engine instead of one that uses FI I would like to know if you were thinking of a certain motor?
    I think youre the one with a certain motor in mind. Not all NA motors with 750hp are small super tuned V8's revving out to 12-14000rpm. What if theyre rather large V12's? Maybe a W16? It could be any configuration, any size, doing any amount of revs.
    I am the Stig

I think we all know that...

just out of curiousity I don't believe saying you like NA engines better means much. A stock rover V8 is NA but almost everyone loves the SCed one. Also if an engine is NA with 750hp then it is more likely that it is a small V8 super tuned to rev to 12-14000rpm. I haven't seen many NA 750hp engines that aren't high reving F1 wannabes. My question is when you meant to say you would rather have a 750hp NA engine instead of one that uses FI I would like to know if you were thinking of a certain motor?
    You've never come across a big block before, hell even a small block chevy? It's not hard at all to get that amount of power out of a 454 or 540 or 383 or 350 or....

You've never come across a big block before, hell even a small block chevy? It's not hard at all to get that amount of power out of a 454 or 540 or 383 or 350 or....
    well over 800 for this one...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Well christ almighty, i guess i better close this thread right now if thats the case. If liking naturally aspiration doesnt mean much, the same must go for a preferance of superchargers, turbo's or nitrous. Therefore there doesnt seem to be any relevant discussion that can go on here.
    You quoted that out of context idiot.

I said him saying that he would rather have an NA means little because he didn't say much about why.... I don't know if he likes big monster engines that chug along or if he was saying that he doesn't mind little F1 like engines... If he said something like I prefer NA engines because they have better pickup and ect ect... then we could discuss it. (the topic of aspiration)

I can believe the 540ci making 750hp and maybe even the 454ci but I haven't seen an old style V8 smaller than that with 750hp without it having had huge amounts of money put into it. (ie in a racing car) all the big V8s I have seen with over about 500hp tend to have some form of FI...

[QOUTE=henk4]well over 800 for this one...[/QUOTE]
    yeah in a fricken race car... We are talking about the engines that might possibly be in our cars...
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    I think youre the one with a certain motor in mind. Not all NA motors with 750hp are small super tuned V8's revving out to 12-14000rpm. What if theyre rather large V12's? Maybe a W16? It could be any configuration, any size, doing any amount of revs.
    did I say all? nope I said more likely...

Of course there are other engine configurations but show me a NA one that makes 750hp and doesn't cost a fortune....

Stipulation: Any, as long as the power curves are smooth and steep.

The Legacy is my first Turbo and I can't say I'm crazy about the power delivery. The 2.5 has enough oomph to make life bearable until the turbo kicks in @ about 3,500 RPM, vs. a more highly pressurized engine, even then the turbo kick isn't ideal.

So probably N/A, as any engineer designing a production engine will always be trying to emulate its even power delivery when using forced induction.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

You quoted that out of context idiot.

I said him saying that he would rather have an NA means little because he didn't say much about why.... I don't know if he likes big monster engines that chug along or if he was saying that he doesn't mind little F1 like engines... If he said something like I prefer NA engines because they have better pickup and ect ect... then we could discuss it. (the topic of aspiration)

I can believe the 540ci making 750hp and maybe even the 454ci but I haven't seen an old style V8 smaller than that with 750hp without it having had huge amounts of money put into it. (ie in a racing car) all the big V8s I have seen with over about 500hp tend to have some form of FI...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    well over 800 for this one...
    yeah in a fricken race car... We are talking about the engines that might possibly be in our cars...
    I like being simple, and n/a motors are quite simple.
    I guess you don't know many good engine builders then if you haven't seen any n/a big horse v8's.
    What's stopping someone from putting a race motor into thier car?

did I say all? nope I said more likely...

Of course there are other engine configurations but show me a NA one that makes 750hp and doesn't cost a fortune....
    A n/a motor like that would cost about 7-8k if someone built it, not too far off from turbo kits or supercharger set ups.

I like being simple, and n/a motors are quite simple.
    I guess you don't know many good engine builders then if you haven't seen any n/a big horse v8's.
    What's stopping someone from putting a race motor into thier car?
    Race motors don't last long...

They are very expensive...

Thats why race motors don't really make it into the general engine topic.

Finally so you like simple motors that is fine a good reason to stick to NA. I know a few good engine builders but after about 500hp they start using FI

I still want you to show me a NA motor with 750hp that you might have in your car at some point (so not a racing engine)

A n/a motor like that would cost about 7-8k if someone built it, not too far off from turbo kits or supercharger set ups.
    Show me with info on the price cause I don't believe you.

Stfu hightower.
    You can kiss my polish ass about the abbreviations.
    You quoted that out of context idiot..
    Is it that hard to be civilized?

The question should be "what is the kind of aspiration you prefer for..." and then some option!
    I like every type of engine depending on the situation.
    Of course the ultimate "luxury" is to have a NA with all the power and fas reactions you need. But that will take either an expensive revver or a huge displacement. So turbocharging is a good compromise to avoid the disvantages ot either one or the other.
    But the engines I admire most are the tiny revvers like the Abarths, S800, S2000, bike engines and many high-revvers from old racer cars.

BTW: What 750 bhp engine, no matter the aspiration type, is not expensive or absurd on a road car?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Race motors don't last long...

They are very expensive...

Thats why race motors don't really make it into the general engine topic.

Finally so you like simple motors that is fine a good reason to stick to NA. I know a few good engine builders but after about 500hp they start using FI

I still want you to show me a NA motor with 750hp that you might have in your car at some point (so not a racing engine)
    Where do you draw the line between racing engine and not a racing engine?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Would you consider that a racing engine? It puts out 620hp/650ftlbs, and the info makes it seem like it's not stressed at all, so more power can be made.

Show me with info on the price cause I don't believe you.
    Quiggs6682 (12:11:55 PM): ZOMG U CANT BILD A FAST CAR WITHOUT NAWZ OR TERBOZ

How can I show you info on a quote?

there are tons and tons of corvettes and supras and skylines and mustangs and all sorts of cars (camaroes, Porsches, Bimmers, jags, mazdas ect.) that use FI to get 750hp without using an obscene amount of money. the great thing about adding FI is that the system its self is the only thing you need to pay for. Stuffing a whole new engine in that you bought from some tuner is a bigger task.

Thread Information