Thread: My 3 Days With a Holden VE Calais V6

My 3 Days With a Holden VE Calais V6

First place too start. I Want one bad!

Engine V6 3.6lt 195kw alloytech high output:
    this being the high output 195 engine every bit of it you know it's better then the 180 just by ear. We rocked up in geelong friday afternoon, Looking for a pit stop in front was a itchy foot Omega that didnt like too be reminded he bought the base model and the Calais shit on it took off fast, About 5min later we found a pit stop and parked next too that very Omega. When he started the car it sounded ruff and loud, Everything the 195 doesn't do. He reversed out and pulled away hard leaving in a sound of noise and not a great deal of punch, I thought there and then all commodores should have this 195 engine and give the 180 too the engine god. The 195 sounds quite feels smooth revs easy and pulls pretty hard. From outside it's very quite and idles so quite it cant almost be herd.
    It power is fantastic even though my brother drove my VP home and i had trouble keeping up as we couldn't work out the normal mode sports mode manual shift at first. But dam my VP goes good, Back on topic now...
    Last night heading off too meet my brother and his friends so we could step out and play with the new toy, A VYII SS flew up next too me and stopped on a 5cent peace, Couldn't help myself at all so i gave it some and he responded, Now for the next 150-200 meters he was on my right and wasn't catching in a hurry at all the VE was really holding it's own, The a car in my lane stopped me and he flew past, Then a car stopped him and it was game on again, Reason i know he wasn't playing was by the time we got too a roundabout he had turned into a complete clown a dangerous one at that and went through this roundabout with cars coming at him so i backed off and stopped, He then also went through a red light and i was glad too see him go.
    But the engine goes great sounds pretty smooth and refined and doesn't miss a beat kills the base alloytech engine by miles all round.

Tranny Auto 5 speed auto:
    Select drive and you wouldn't know it went there very easy and smooth, Selects gears with ease changes with ease and responds fast and sharp and was easy the best auto i have driven, Flick off normal shifts and it livens up with more hold and bite too it drops gears faster before getting too corners for a fast and easy pull away. Go into Manual mode and it doesn't really respond too hard driving, It will select lower gears but if your flat out and just tapping the red line the dam thing will not select 2nd on manual shift. Same as if you manual shifting on loose road it will not allow you too shift too go faster it's like a safety device too avoid going flat out on shit roads or something. By the Sunday the tranny started too adapt too our driving style, Which was plenty of 50-60kp/h trips with 100kp/h roads and huge hills too climb, At first it climbed hills @ 100kp/h on cruise and when the hills got big and harder too climb it would drop back 1 gear and speed up back too the set point on the cruise, By the Sunday it hardly did this it adapted too the driving which is good.
    Thats 2 things that need too be across the range the 195 engine and 5 speed auto.

Suspension Handling:
    Love the sporty tune but it never felt harsh or over firm too me. I loved it too be honest it hit pot holes and didn't send massive feedback into the cabin it really was settled and smooth too drive with great grip it always felt in control and safe under foot. Tyre noise was loud at times on shit back roads, Actually i felt the suspension wasn't too hard it wasn't hard at all, And then thought WTF does the base model feel like it's soft as.
    I was going down some mountain s bends thought the sign said 100kp/h actually I'm still sure it did but anyway by the time this corner came it was 35kp/h The car just brakes and zipped around the bend like it was nothing i was very happy with that. Even with ESP off it's very sharp and great, But too be honest such a great thing like ESP shouldn't be turned off it's fantastic.
    Got a story about that but that's later.
    Steering feel was great, On the freeway almost heavy but that gave it great feel and made it very stable at high speeds. At lower speeds lighter and easy too turn and very nimble for it's weight and size.

Brakes:
    They pull up fast hard and easy no problem there no shudders or pulling.

Exterior:
    Looks great shame they gave me white but WTF still looks good. Got some top lights too high beams are daylight bright right up with the territory there.
    After some 600km we noticed there was this black crap building up on the rear behind the rear wheels like some tyre cleaner or something? You can see it in the picks.
    Up in the town of Camperdown had the boys out looking over the VE, Giving it the once over, they seen us coming so they scattered fast and made like they were doing nothing, So gave them a show as we left keep the locals happy. Had many people looking and saying that's the new VE, Even in white it got plenty of attention but after 2 days i wasn't paying attention too them looking anymore i was in the driving zone like it was mine.

Interior:
    Seats were great i was always comfy and typical holden commodore style having the steering always centre and very easy too adjust yourself in. Too many gadgets too play with, The trip system is fantastic a world of info there, Good thing is it cant be adjusted and setting cant be played with when driving very good safety idea there. Back seats got too my auntie after 1200km, She said her back was started too hurt she felt the rear seat needed too be more forward in the back, But then she said she's 54 years old and works 14 hours of the day?.
    But my mum couldn't get the passenger front seat right also, It wasnt until i had a rest of driving that i was able too adjust that and she like it more.
    Funny thing my mum started too drive it for the first time and hit the accelerator and she has never drove one of these modern electronic control accelerator peddles. She flinged us back into the seats.
    The centre console is great big and easy too use and read, The dash dials are brilliant i love that part the most it all happens there, Too much info too read and too many setting too play with in one day. Set your security personalize your setup. I had the doors too auto lock at road speeds, And at first too only open drivers door in park. Passengers wining open door made me set it too when i remove key, Passengers winning open door toilet brake when i'm not going got too me, So i set it too open all doors when car goes into park. That shut them up. I could also open the lock them from the centre console.
    Now the A pillar, At first it felt like it might be a problem, But you do get used too it and after some time you find your way around it too the point it doesn't bother you like it first does, Blind spots and around but rear park sensor is fantastic too have, It will beep you too stop with 1 foot too go so your never going too smash anything. Also one great thing the rear passengers sit low so they never get in the way of the mirror that's a first for me i like it.

Safety:
    If all cars don't come standard with ESP DSC SC what ever everyone calls it, If they all aren't offered standard they are wanks, It's going too cut the lose of lives forsure it's great and it works a treat too. And all the other ones are good too, Must admit the car felt safe the doors sat up high around you you felt like impact wouldn't hurt as much with all the air bags too. Even passing trucks couldn't move the car off line.

My rating is 10 because i am inlove with it, I was hoping it was good but too my shock it was better and i was very nerves but was more then happy with it.
    But my recommendation is skip base models and head too the V6's with the 195 engine and 5 speed auto. If you want too be very happy that is my suggestion, I haven't driven the 180 base model omega and too be honest i really don't want too i have seen and herd enough, Not even it's great looking body nice interior great handling steering suspension safety could sway me into one, Just because it's alloytech 180 engine with 4 speed. It's got too be a option the 5 speed and 195 or just make them standard, I know every range needs a cheap base and all, It might do the job but it wont do it nice and easy like the 195 5 speed combination, And it is the one thing that holds it down a bit.
    But tell you know i'll have no-one bag the 195 engine for being gutless trust me it's got big balls it pulls that big monster around easy and can brake into hyper drive and sound almost supercharger like when going hard very nice sound. I don't think the twin system makes it sound sporty but it makes it sounds quieter then the base 180 omega.
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 04-29-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

your fifth pic so clearly shows where modern car design has gone wrong...just look at the waistlines....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Almost forgot fuel economy..
    Rolled out with 1622km on the clock. Got home today with 2825km.
    Distanced travelled 1203km. Litres used 110.92. Litre per 100km... 9.2l/100km.
    No holding back at all had many large hills too climb and many single lanes for passing had too go over my set speed limiter many times passing cars.
    So our travel was from Melbourne past geelong too colac too cobdin into camperdown where we stayed. From there back too cobdin too pick up my mothers friends sister we set off too Echuca too ride on the PS Emmylou on the murry, Right next too a bridge that pass's into sydney. After that we head back too camperdown for the night, We only stopped for fuel twice, Once in camperdown friday night we topped it with 24.88 litres. Then on the way back in ballarat we stopped again for 55.99 litres. And by the time we got home used 30.05 litres of that. So that's fuel used 110.92 litre used.
    That with a full boot and 4 adults, 3 adults min.
    Worst fuel 10.2l/100, Best 8.3l/100.

On the way home we passed what looked like a couple of car clubs doing a cruise, First it was valliants, Then motorbikes then all fords.

So all in all the best part of the weekend away was in the car

So anyway i got some pics.
    One of the pics shows the dash with km's and average fuel used per 100. That is only back from camperdown too home.

Our ESP test.
    Back wide road in a private long 5km outback road like going into the outback red. We myself brother and his friend went too test ESP on and off out.
    Going along @ 70kp/h i was driving and i started too yank the steering wheels left and right very hard too get it sideways, Every time the esp came on and brought the car back, So we got harder on it but you couldn't loose it was unreal.
    So my brother takes over and he knows how too handle a car. So anyway 180 he is doing tossing this car left and right through corners and all it was starting too fishy and then back in line fast, He gave it all handbrake full throttle full lock and it wouldn't loose control at all. It's the best safety device ive seen on a car. Even doing 160 too a dead stop the car stopped in a perfect straight line we got out and seen the track, My brother is a ford man he owns a BA Fairmont and he was full on smiling, We have agreed too get a BF Ghia too try out. He's mates came around too look at it and wanted too be taken for a spin. I had a little Chinese man stop out front here and ask me about it, How much as he wanted too by a commodore he bought a Camry 5 years ago for $34,000 and now wants a Commodore, He even asked me how much for my VP, I said too him if you haven't got the money for a SV6 or Calais forget it, You might be happy one day but if you bought the calais you would be happy right away with it, It's got luxury and sports all in one and that's what i love the most about it.
    Sorry VYII Calais Slicks got a new fav
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 04-29-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    your fifth pic so clearly shows where modern car design has gone wrong...just look at the waistlines....
    But from inside it gives you a massive safe feeling. I know which car i want too get hit side on in

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    But from inside it gives you a massive safe feeling. I know which car i want too get hit side on in
    yeah, that is the price we have pay when you allow everybody to drive Hummers and the likes..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    yeah, that is the price we have pay when you allow everybody to drive Hummers and the likes..
    True..
    I like the look but i can see it's got plenty of potential too do up and look better.. 19" rims 2" lowered sports system give it some sound. And not white

Great report, Slick. Glad you got the VE in the end and glad you liked it. The 195kw Alloytech can only be an improvement on the 180kW engine. All reports I've read suggest its got a way to go to be an all round match (refinement, smoothness, performance) for the Barra engine/six speed in the BF or the 3.5 V6/six speed in the Aurion. However, don't worry, I won't call it gutless.... Still, that is certainly the engine/trans combo that should be in the Omega - no excuses Holden.
    I'll have to go grab a Calais VE myself one weekend. I'm in Melbourne again next month, so might do so then. Likely I'll have a Falcon, Aurion or a 380 to play with during the week - work provided. But Avis is too expensive, so it won't be a VE. But I might hire a Calais myself for the weekend. If I do you're welcome to grab a second look at it.
    What would be interesting is if several of us UCP guys could line up a Calais VE, a 380 GT, an Aurion Presara and a Fairmont Ghia for a weekend - even throw in a VW Passat 4Motion as an interesting alternative - and compare them back to back. Course that would be both hard to arrange and costly (unless someone else was paying). But it would be interesting.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Almost forgot fuel economy..
    So my brother takes over and he knows how too handle a car. So anyway 180 he is doing tossing this car left and right through corners and all it was starting too fishy and then back in line fast, He gave it all handbrake full throttle full lock and it wouldn't loose control at all. It's the best safety device ive seen on a car. Even doing 160 too a dead stop the car stopped in a perfect straight line we got out and seen the track,
    Tsk, tsk and on public roads to . And I thought 150km/h in the Omega was a little excessive on public roads. Perhaps we should use euphemisms such as "at high speed he was tossing...". Anyway, sounds like you had fun.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Sounds like you had fun there Slick.

Henk, i agree with you on the styling. I absolutely hate the high wasteline of new cars. It's alot safer and all, but it totally changes the proportions of the rear IMO, which in the case of the new Commodore and Camry/Aurion, doesnt do it any favours AT ALL. Styling wise, i'd take a 4 year old Falcon iver the high waistline of the Mitsubishi 380, Toyota Camry/Aurion or Holden Commodore.

I must say too, slick, your test of the ESP sounds alot more convincing than what Holden was showing everyone. Sounds like the same basic idea, yank the steering and see how it responds, but Holden was getting Mark Skaife and Todd Kelly to do it on sealed tarmac, which can still be quite predictable. Outback roads are hardly ever predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Great report, Slick. Glad you got the VE in the end and glad you liked it. The 195kw Alloytech can only be an improvement on the 180kW engine. All reports I've read suggest its got a way to go to be an all round match (refinement, smoothness, performance) for the Barra engine/six speed in the BF or the 3.5 V6/six speed in the Aurion. However, don't worry, I won't call it gutless.... Still, that is certainly the engine/trans combo that should be in the Omega - no excuses Holden.
    I'll have to go grab a Calais VE myself one weekend. I'm in Melbourne again next month, so might do so then. Likely I'll have a Falcon, Aurion or a 380 to play with during the week - work provided. But Avis is too expensive, so it won't be a VE. But I might hire a Calais myself for the weekend. If I do you're welcome to grab a second look at it.
    What would be interesting is if several of us UCP guys could line up a Calais VE, a 380 GT, an Aurion Presara and a Fairmont Ghia for a weekend - even throw in a VW Passat 4Motion as an interesting alternative - and compare them back to back. Course that would be both hard to arrange and costly (unless someone else was paying). But it would be interesting.
    When i parked the car in the drop of bay the lady asked me how was it, I said loved it i'd buy one, I then told her i wasn't too impressed with the base models with the 180 engine and 4 speed auto from what i have been told and herd and after one next too me i went,, She said too me almost 70% of the people that hire the base model come back and say it's a very loud engine sounds shit, But not a complaint about the calais 195 engine.
    Your right no excuses holden the 195 5 speed should be available at base..

My brother and i are talking about getting a Ghia for a day too check out but he wants a base first with 4 speed because he wants too see the improvement with the 4 speed and engine over his car.

Thanks my test wasn't as good as your but i tried hard.

Maybe a good time too do the car test might be when the motorshows are on?

I was lucky too get the Calais, I rang 1 hour before and the lady told me one is getting detailed and she will send it up and hold it, A lady almost took it before i got there and she had too fight her off!.
    Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Tsk, tsk and on public roads to . And I thought 150km/h in the Omega was a little excessive on public roads. Perhaps we should use euphemisms such as "at high speed he was tossing...". Anyway, sounds like you had fun.
    Oh no no This was in the middle of nowhere off road like the outback I'll show you you would love it so much room too manoeuvring and we didn't bottom out. That omega must be so soft if too me the sporty suspension was pretty easy over bumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Sounds like you had fun there Slick.

Henk, i agree with you on the styling. I absolutely hate the high wasteline of new cars. It's alot safer and all, but it totally changes the proportions of the rear IMO, which in the case of the new Commodore and Camry/Aurion, doesnt do it any favours AT ALL. Styling wise, i'd take a 4 year old Falcon iver the high waistline of the Mitsubishi 380, Toyota Camry/Aurion or Holden Commodore.

I must say too, slick, your test of the ESP sounds alot more convincing than what Holden was showing everyone. Sounds like the same basic idea, yank the steering and see how it responds, but Holden was getting Mark Skaife and Todd Kelly to do it on sealed tarmac, which can still be quite predictable. Outback roads are hardly ever predictable.
    Too much fun i think

I agree high waistlines need too be done right or they can look funny, Them 380's look small now on the road:d.

They should hire me too test the ESP out, Mark skaife could handle cars and that really doesn't show what the ESP can do but what he can do. So someone like me who has never taken a car down a road like this and done that before just shows how this technology is great and all cars must have it.
    Wish we had video camera
    We are going too not sure when get together and try and hire a BFII Ghia
    My brother said he's BA felt old when he got back in it, I said felt old? My car felt like it came from the tip, He just lowered his car so it fells much more firm then before, And he needs too fix his steering something is a miss there it's heavy and shudders on braking. But when i drove it i liked the steering it felt fine i always like fords steerings the best.

Shotgun the 380 GT!!!

saw a White 380 VRX lowered on 19" black rims with chrome lip and it looked PORN!!! i want one
    The Datto will rage again...

The high waistlines look odd from side-on, especially how it's slanted - the front window looks much much too big, and the back window is puny. From angles other than side-on, methinks it looks OK.

As a whole, though, the car sounds excellent.
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Oh yeah it's a great car. The tranny was so smooth, into drive you don't feel it at all shifts are very nice also, But reading how the Falcon 6 speed still is much better then it i would just love too give one a drive too see because if it's as good as everyone says it really must be great, haven't herd a complaint about it.
    Yeah the rear window is larger in the flesh but in one of them pics it does look very small, When inside in the back seat it looks close too the front, But anyone that sat in the rear said they felt like kids.

But after MSN did a write up on the Omega i was very nerves, I was thinking it might be disappointed, But really he liked the car but didn't like the leftovers like 180 engine and 4 speed being the biggest criticism of the car, I was thinking god don't waste my money.
    Some other things the interior looked like it might be hard too keep clean espically the dash, And you seem too scuff your feet on the door entry.
    We had a full size spare also.
    Don't know if anyone knew this but it's 1st gear readline in kp/h is 87.. Thats ford falcon auto like.
    One thing i didn't like was the rear seat had cup holders in the middle. But you needed too pull the centre down and that exposed the boot which isn't too nice too look at.

Thread Information