Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Sick Tuned Viper VS. HAYABUSA's

Thumbs up A Sick Tuned Viper VS. HAYABUSA's

Quote Originally Posted by maximus14433
    A bit long and boring, they could have done some serious editing and still kept it interesting.

Had to laugh at the gear worn by the guys on the Hayabusas !
    2-piece touring leathers and helmet mounted radios.
    That's good for taking 5mph of the top speed !!!
    Only the guy on the Kwaka looked like he was wearing a one piece and NONE of them were fitted and shaped for speed.
    Stock fairings too - they're a few extra mph to be found there too

So the Viper would have been seen off comfortably by the stock bike too !!

Also saying the Kwaka was "heavily modified" !! WHAT ??? It was bored, stroked and lightened - that's tubnin 101 stuff.

Now that Viper WAS heavily modified for performance and aero.
    You could have bought one of those bikes for each day of the wweek with what the guy spent on the Viper
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

yah but havin a diferent bike for everyday of the week isn't as pleasent as having a mad tuned sexy ass Viper, I mean seing a bike is all good, but wut turns more heads, a busa or a R1 driving by, or a Mad tuned Viper like the one in this video driving by...id say the Viper....

Quote Originally Posted by maximus14433
    yah but havin a diferent bike for everyday of the week isn't as pleasent as having a mad tuned sexy ass Viper, I mean seing a bike is all good, but wut turns more heads, a busa or a R1 driving by, or a Mad tuned Viper like the one in this video driving by...id say the Viper....
    As an owner of "kick-ass" car AND bike.

I pull more attention on the bike - something to do with the sound..... race-can helps !!!!

And on the Isle of Man at least on the bike I can go as fast as the rest

Anyway, you're suggesting a stock bike versus a tricked up Viper.
    Well if you trick up the bike it'll turn more heads !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

yah but u cant really tell if a biked is highly tuned unless it has its custom body, anything visually noticeable, and of course sound, but a car can sound a lot better at times with the right exhaust, as well as theres many more body options ot change n make it look more dynamic and exotic, and id rather be on my 4 wheels ppl have their own opinion.

Talking

Gonna have to back up Matra here. Car AND bike is the way to go, and yes, the bike gets MUCH more attention, stock or no.

http://www.2bones.com/modules.php?se...view_photo.php

The Saleen, even as a convertible, gets the heads turning from the low rumble, but I run the two with my buddy to car shows and meets and the bike gets the attention first.

P.S. Let's see your Viper run last seasons untuned GSXR in the 1/4. I have put a few grand into the bike,

[Yoshimura SS High Run Full Exhaust, PC IIIr, Vortex Sliders and Rear Sprocket +3, Pro-Tek Rear Sets.]

put a good tune on her, and was running a 10 sec slip all year. Can't wait to see her with the weights on the front axle and another dozen ponies.

All in good testosterone based fun. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by dalton13; 04-06-2004 at 08:36 AM.
    2000 Saleen S281, 2003 Nissan 350Z Touring, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
    www.2Bones.com - www.BikesandBikinis.com - www.DFWBikes.com - www.DFWSportscars.com - www.DFWStuntbikes.com - www.GotCuties.com

Quote Originally Posted by dalton13
    Gonna have to back up Matra here. Car AND bike is the way to go, and yes, the bike gets MUCH more attention, stock or no. ...
    All in good testosterone based fun. Wish me luck.
    Photos not clear enough ( and you polished/painted the rims I guess ) to tell if that's a thou or 750. I'm presuming the former
    Do you have nice twisties where you are or are you more of a straight line speed man ??
    Scotlands got the best twisties and that's what I like ridiing ( but only becuase there are more miles here than in Isle of Man or Ireland )

Wonder what the outcome would be if the camera guy were on the bikes...

Full leathers for a top speed run...5 mph, yes. Not too much in the way of 80-150 mph sprints (which appear to be on the order of 6.9 seconds for that Viper). Power/weight and frontal area of the superbike should see it easily in front of even the most potent of supercars. Gearing probably not in the Viper's favor either.

Quote Originally Posted by Guibo
    Wonder what the outcome would be if the camera guy were on the bikes...
    Except for one run I thought all the in-car shots were with a mounted camera. Only once did he/she have another person slowing them down.
    Not too much in the way of 80-150 mph sprints (which appear to be on the order of 6.9 seconds for that Viper).
    that's the area bikes excell in
    Slow start is a BIG issue on a bike, for really fast take-offs you need to extend the swing-arm and move the wheel back a couple of feet !!
    If it was from start, a powerful and reasonbly light car will win over the first 20m !
    Power/weight and frontal area of the superbike should see it easily in front of even the most potent of supercars. Gearing probably not in the Viper's favor either.
    Fonrtal area is smaller but bikes are flying bricks. You can't do clever aerodynamics to a bike the way a car designer can.
    A bike has to lean and any attempt at making a bike more aerodynamic makes it near impossible to turn
    How would you change the gearing ? To accelerate faster - that just gives the bike a bigger advantage at the higher speeds. Bikes can change gear faster as they have pre-engaged cogs. Also generally do clutch-less when going fast.

There were 2 runs with a passenger: the first @ 10:57 on the counter ("3rd Race", which also had the window-mounted camera running concurrently), the second @ 13:22. Not all runs, of course. But that's 2 more than any runs for the bikes.

Gearing...a standard Hayabusa tops out at around 196 mph in 6th, doesn't it? Pretty close to (or even at) redline. The Viper GTS on the other hand has 2 pretty lazy overdrive top gears: 0.74:1 5th, 0.50:1 6th. A stock one tops out in 5th gear at somewhere around 190-ish mph. C&D's test of an RT/10 (now there's a brick) saw a top speed of 177 mph in 5th gear, 700 rpm short of redline. 6th gear, then, is effectively wasted in terms of acceleration; its a highway cruising gear. 800 RWHP Vipers with stock gearing generally are expected to reach ~230 mph. A Venom 600 GTS (~530 RWHP) has been clocked at 205 mph, redlining in 5th gear @ 6300 rpm.
    Give that modified Viper six useable accelerating gears such that it tops out at around the same as the Hayabusa (196-ish), and we'll probably see very different results. Throw in the sequential shifter from one of the Oreca GTS-R's for good measure.

Give that modified Viper six useable accelerating gears such that it tops out at around the same as the Hayabusa (196-ish), and we'll probably see very different results. Throw in the sequential shifter from one of the Oreca GTS-R's for good measure.
    And spend half that money adding a racing g'box and turbo to a Hayebusa and you'll get a bike that wins AGAIN.
    You cannot take awawy the extra weight of a car and expect to win.
    Only from a standing start is it possible

The simple fact that car fanatics cannot grasp is that for the money a bike will ALWAYS be faster than a car. And for a road-usable bike it won't get much beyond 220 because the rider just can't stay ON !! ( Check out speed bikes and you notice they're recumbant and fully-faried )

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    The simple fact that car fanatics cannot grasp is that for the money a bike will ALWAYS be faster than a car.
    I'm sure even the most ardent of car fanatics would never deny that. I'm certainly not disputing it. Simple physics (and the cost involved in building a car vs a bike) makes that point fairly obvious. You get A/C and heat on the Hayabusa for free. And by the same token, a clapped out, stripped out Mustang from the 80's can be made to shred this Viper in the quarter mile, for a mere fraction of the price. What I'm saying is:
    The Viper's gearing alone makes it a foregone conclusion that it should lose. It hasn't got a power to weight ratio advantage (which, even at speeds starting at 80 mph can still make a huge difference). And certainly not with a 230-lb passenger on board. (Only way to remove that variable and to put it in the Viper's favor is to have ~180 lbs, about the weight of an average person, on the back of the bike.)
    The Hayabusa has a very long first gear (good for 80 mph), and a much lower redline-limited top speed in 6th than the Viper's theoretical top speed in 6th (which it can't reach anyway). That means its gears in between are very tightly spaced. After that very long first gear, each successive gear on average is worth roughly 24 mph. After the Viper's first gear, each successive gear that is good for accelerating is worth about 34 mph. With its superior power/weight ratio, lack of flywheel mass, and this gearing advantage, it's no wonder, then, that the Hayabusa should be faster.
    Would it be faster if its two top gears were lazy overdrive gears? Most obviously not. (Not that it needs two overdrive gears anyway of course; the Viper has that mainly for fuel economy purposes.)

Just out of curiousity, have you seen any other videos of a street legal car that could hold its own against a Hayabusa? What 80-150 times have you seen for bonafide, true supercars? Just for the sake of comparison, this Viper at 6.9 seconds from 80-150 mph is about 9.7 seconds quicker than a standard Viper (16.6).

I'm sure even the most ardent of car fanatics would never deny that.
    You'd be surprised
    Just out of curiousity, have you seen any other videos of a street legal car that could hold its own against a Hayabusa? What 80-150 times have you seen for bonafide, true supercars? Just for the sake of comparison, this Viper at 6.9 seconds from 80-150 mph is about 9.7 seconds quicker than a standard Viper (16.6).
    I'm not an avid collector of figures.
    Those I've read are about my cars I've owned and friends cars I've shared track time with.
    Bikes is based on experience..... and a few articles in MCN paper in the UK who regularly do a car v bike article.
    We're coming from the smae place anyway, that is that it IS possible to take any vehicle and improve it's acceleration aor top speed as the owner wishes. But there is no such thing as the perfect vehicle.
    Pillion passengeres will kill the bike peak performance, but a Honda Blackbird can still outdrag a Porsche 911 from 90 to 120 with 2 big guys on it ( on the way to Isle of Man for the TT on mates bike at 1am on the M6 )

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    a Honda Blackbird can still outdrag a Porsche 911 from 90 to 120 with 2 big guys on it ( on the way to Isle of Man for the TT on mates bike at 1am on the M6 )
    Whoa, that sounds crazy.
    Not too surprising an outcome though. Even with 2 up, the Blackbird still has a massive power to weight ratio advantage over the Porsche. Assuming 2 180-lb riders and a 180-lb driver in the Porsche, the Blackbird has 6.0 lbs/hp vs 10.2 for the Porsche. You'd need 3 more 180-lb passengers on the Blackbird to get it in the same ballpark (10.7 lbs/hp) as the Porsche. (5-up on a Blackbird, yikes.) Won't do Cd figures any favors, but the Porsche still has something like 3 times more frontal area.

Wondering how a 173-hp Hayabusa can reach the same top speed as a 450-hp stock Viper or Porsche Turbo. Any ideas?

.... Assuming 2 180-lb riders ....
    I wish

Thread Information