View Poll Results: Engine you'd rather in your car.

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • M5's V10

69 60.00%
  • LS7 V8 from Corvette Z06

46 40.00%
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette Z06 vs. BMW M5...engine comparo

Err, another LSx v high hp/l thread. Well, i think...z9[-c,gfvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry, fell asleep on the keyboard there.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thoguh, I'll say this about the whole fuel consumption thing. It'd be interesting to see how the consumption changes if the gearratios were swapped, i.e the SMG had moonshot gearing, and the Z06 had a close set of ratios
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Modern day German cars are anything but reliable. I dont think I have read a review for a German car where something doesnt fail.
    Amen.

Both just have their own view on making engines. American cars usually have a lot of low down punch and BMW likes to make high rev engines.
    I prefer high rpm engines, but I could live very well with both.

well, my statement on the percentage thingy.... it's not an accurate estimation, but a overtly exclaimated statement on the could have, but rather not of BMW engineers. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft
    hard to argue with that ^.^
    People have been banned for doing that before.

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    wouldn't you rather have an LS7
    Yes, but I wasn't saying I would have the S85, just stating that it had won those awards.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Yes, but I wasn't saying I would have the S85, just stating that it had won those awards.
    You just like to confuse us

I don't get the fascination these days with making small engines that have obscenely high power outputs, but little torque. It just doesn't make sense- the engine is under more stress to perform, therefore increasing the risk poor reliability, and half the time they don't fare much better than bigger engines with similar outputs for the economy. Then again... you have the Golf TSI, which really works (better performance than the 2.0 FSI and better economy) and the Honda S2000- which came 2nd in the Top Gear JD Power Survey, or 1st. I can't remember which.

Then you look at the larger, more unstressed engines like the LS2. They work really well in certain cars- the unstressed nature gives the car a more accessible feel, and the gut-wrenching torque does make a difference. Then you consider the economy figures, CO2 tax (for the UK), and the agility. The LS2, granted, is a fabulous development of the V8 (most unexpected), but then you look at the engine in, say, an E55 and wonder where they went wrong- it's deemed as not very agile at all. Its ancestor, the E36, was deemed a frenetic beasty with its 6-cyl engine.

There are always two sides to every argument, and both sides have valid facts and damning ones, too. So if you have an opinion, it's because you don't have all the facts to hand. Pure preference dictates some LS2 lovin' for me, though

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    You just like to confuse us
    All I did was give the BMW engine code and the awards it had won, then a suggestion that looking at mpg figures for cars may not accurately reflect the actual specific consumptions of the engines themselves.
    Thanks for all the fish

I have an E28 and the new V10 would probably weigh less than my current M30 iron block 3.5L straight six and I heard it also makes slightly more than my current 180bhp. The first time I heard that S85's throttle blipped I swear had a religious experience/orgasm, it sounded that good and for that reason more than any I'd take it.

Another reason I admire the S85 more than the LS7 is because it seems to have been built to be the best f**king 5.L it can be, even better than the Gallardo's 5.L V10 (according to my trusted Evo mag). Whereas with the LS7 despite it's dry sump and titanium bits achieves only decent power/torque output from 7.L which of course translates to incredible motion when placed in the lightweight car.

F*** you all, I'm biased.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6
    I don't get the fascination these days with making small engines that have obscenely high power outputs, but little torque.
    The S85 makes more torque/L than the LS7 too

Does anyone prefer the M5 engine over the LS7 because of some sort of performance advantage?

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Slicks, obviously because you're defending an american brand and nobody has any real evidence to prove you wrong, you're biased.

I absolutely love how they try to claim so and so is better, and then when they get proven wrong, oh, it's not really about that anyways, it's just about preference.

Just put it this way, LS7 is only 1 ltr of displacement away from Veyron's 16:4, if some would argue the Veyron had 4 turbochargers.... well, why not for the LS7? Or to say.... Why didn't they do it? It's all about making do with what you had .... rather than spending all out.

It's the classic case of American movies unleashing whole teams of swats and dozens of police cars to take down ONE armed suspect. Oh ya.... helicopters hovering above too.

You guys are perhaps blessed with more resources, hence the consideration was only given to the numbers of output... ignoring the figure of input.

Oh.. the latest Autocar, sad to see a 8.0 viper reaching only 298km/h; and love to see how a turbocharged 3.6 liter porsche pawns many of em.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy
    It's because people like to hate on America.

I'll take the Porsche 911 GT3's 3.6L flat-6 thank you very much. Screw BMW and Corvette. If that is not better than both of these engines, then what is?
    Still a bigger, heavier and much more expencive engine than the LS7. Even Porsche owners are swaping out their flat 6s for LSxs:
    http://www.toy-jet.ls1fun.com/about.html
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492975

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Slicks, stop punching walls and yelling at everyone around you because people disagree with your opinion.

I like the M5's engine over the LS7. I guess I'm an absolute idiot.
    Not yelling at anyone, not even remotely mad. Why is it all the euro fanboys hate it when facts are introduced?

Thread Information