Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Microsoft Crazy - ripping the Dutch ?

Is Microsoft Crazy - ripping the Dutch ?

Quote Originally Posted by guru3d.com
    Microsoft Netherlands has just released some more information in the final prices of Windows Vista. Now you all know that Europe and specifically the Netherlands is a very expensive place to life in with our comples EU rules and local taxes. Things have really gotten out of hand. While I expected Microsoft;s Vista to be a tad more expensive compared to the rest of the world I honest to God never expected the shame you are about to withness.

The prices for some reason are excessively high, although MS suggested the the prices MIGHT not be finalized just yet to cover their hairy asses. Now if you want to understand why piracy is such a big thing in Europe .. then here's your reason and a good reason to see it continued, get a grasp of something as you will get scared:

Vista Ultimate will cost 549 EUR; which is 730.80 USD ... in comparison the US version is selling for 303.24 USD.
    Vista Basic will cost 279 EUR which is 371.38 USD .. that version in the US will cost 151 USD. Let me place the Dutch pricing model in a little table for you to get a better overview:
    Version Upgrade NL Retail N Retail NL USD Retails VS
    Vista Ultimate 369 EUR 549 EUR 730.80 USD 303.24 USD
    Vista Business 279 EUR 409 EUR 544.47 USD 227.24 USD
    Vista Home Premium 219 EUR 329 EUR 437.97 USD 181.64 USD
    Vista Home Basic 129 EUR 279 EUR 371.38 USD 151.24 USD

Let me just end by saying .. Microsoft .. are you fracking nuts ? I'm utterly disgusted !
    Ridiculous!
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 12-02-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Me too! Thats more than double the price for both of them. I kinda get the feeling piracy wont work. They need someone to get the original to copy it dont they? Well that doesnt seem likely!
    All about the t-tops

It is a good time to start supporting open source software, no?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

this high prices will never put an end to piracy. many cannot afford this expensive aluminum coated cheap acrylic 12cm in diameter...

Pah! $700USD for a box of 1 or 2 DVDs... No wonder piracy rules.
    Lead Driver For The UCP.com Draggin' & Driftin' Racing Team.

If only there was one.

That pricing is disgusting, I don't care how expensive cost of living is. In all honesty too, I tried the Vista Beta, and sure it's prettier than XP but it doesn't seem at all worth it.

Here's what you do, eff Windows and buy a new Macintosh. The OS is brilliant, you can load Windows onto the Intel ones if you really desire, and it's pretty much a fact that an Apple computer outguns a PC in every aspect.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Everyone rips the Dutch !!

Basically noone ever buys it It is supplied for free with most new PC's and laptops. You have a Windows disk then for use in any computer you might own in the future On ALL prices except vital stuff(bread,milk etc.) we have 19% taxes. Software has another 5% "anti-piracy-tax" AND copyright money. This makes any software expensive here. There is no new PC-game to be bought for under 50€ or +/- 80 USD... I heard prices elsewhere are much lower. Exactly the reson why i buy all my games and empty cd's/dvd's from German online stores.

Good comparison:
    10 empty cd's in case of a respectble brand cost in The Netherlands 9 € or 12 USD. In Germany however they cost just 2 euro or 2 dollar 70 cents. Why it is so differnet ? No idea,german taxes are 17%,just 7% difference We are being ripped off big-time. That is exactly why the Dutch economy is so bad at the moment. People just refuse to buy it in The Netherlands.

Another good example of the isanity.

For a average sized house like mine you pay about 280.000 €.
    http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/757...nstraat0ec.jpg
    Inside space is about 80 square meters. According to my father,who does taxations on houses for the government, prices in Germany or Belgium are about 90-100.000 € (!!!). We pay over twice that amount for a similar home.

I feel we will get a similar thing as when the tulip-craze collapsed.
    Even though peoples wages have barely improved over the past years,evrything has become much more expensive. Buying a house of a million euro is nothing special anymore nowadays. Statistics show a huge increase of people running into financial trouble...I wont be surprised if I would too soon. I get 90€ a month to study from. It costs 200€ a month,then i have all kinds of insurances totalling 130€ a month.All kinds of extra things,like books,paper,pens,cd's,internet connection and anything else that is obliged cost 50€ more... My income should be atleast 290€ a month. Since my study is so intense and I need a lot of time travelling home again,i have no way to do that. Basically i pay my cigarettes and beers from savings. I guess no car or vacation soon...
    Last edited by drakkie; 12-02-2006 at 03:09 AM.

Wow. Import from the US
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

5% anti-piracy tax? You gotta be kidding! It's the cost of the software that fuels piracy. Don't put out the fire with petrol.
    Lead Driver For The UCP.com Draggin' & Driftin' Racing Team.

If only there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIRE
    5% anti-piracy tax? You gotta be kidding! It's the cost of the software that fuels piracy. Don't put out the fire with petrol.
    Amen to that.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Now you all know that Europe and specifically the Netherlands is a very expensive place to life in with our comples EU rules and local taxes.
    OUR? Accoroding to your profile you live in Idaho. And yes, for Americans it has become very expensive over the last 3-4 years, as your famous president in his urge to keep a strong dollar, has reduced its value by about 50%....
    And for your information: Compared to other European countries the costs of living in the Netherlands are relatively low, I would invite you to spend some time in the Scandinavian countries and if you are very rich you may even survive in the UK.

Our housing situation is quite complex, as we rather pay more for our pieces of land than for the house itself. There are large regional variations too but the cheaper areas are less attractive to live in. Further to that we live with 16 mln people on an area of less than 35,000 sqkm, making Holland (after Bangladesh) the second most densely populated country in the world.

EC Rules and regulations do not add much to the cost of living and taxation is relative, as it also means that a number of things are for free or relatively cheap.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    OUR? Accoroding to your profile you live in Idaho. And yes, for Americans it has become very expensive over the last 3-4 years, as your famous president in his urge to keep a strong dollar, has reduced its value by about 50%....
    And for your information: Compared to other European countries the costs of living in the Netherlands are relatively low, I would invite you to spend some time in the Scandinavian countries and if you are very rich you may even survive in the UK.

Our housing situation is quite complex, as we rather pay more for our pieces of land than for the house itself. There are large regional variations too but the cheaper areas are less attractive to live in. Further to that we live with 16 mln people on an area of less than 35,000 sqkm, making Holland (after Bangladesh) the second most densely populated country in the world.

EC Rules and regulations do not add much to the cost of living and taxation is relative, as it also means that a number of things are for free or relatively cheap.
    I got the article from guru3d, which is a German site I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    I got the article from guru3d, which is a German site I believe
    you might have quoted the source beforehand....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    you might have quoted the source beforehand....
    Fixed

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin
    it's pretty much a fact that an Apple computer outguns a PC in every aspect.
    even in gaming?

Thread Information