Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just leased a VW Jetta

Just leased a VW Jetta

I have become a little tired of maintaining my aging fleet, and now that the winter is here my diesel benz is not really enjoying it. I had starting problems, because of the cold, then glow plug problems and then the alternator or battery or both is gone. I went to a VW dealership today and needed a jump to get home. All this happened this week, like today and yesterday. Not wanting to mess with the Benz anymore and without the option of driving my MG I went ahead and leased a VW. Its an 07 Wolfsburg edition. They have all these ads right now for a lease at 199/month and I have to say its not far from that for a Wolfsburg with some more features than a value or base model.

It gets "leatherette" seats, heated seats and mirrors, 16" wheels with some decent tires (Continental) and a few more little perks in the interior, like a rear arm rest. It isn't the old turbo Wolfsburg edition, but it's pretty nice. I got it in white with a manual.

This is the 2.5, and it isn't exactly a powerhouse. Puts out 150 hp and around 162 lbs/ft. Gets around fine though and its fun to drive. I pick it up Wed. I'll post some pics even though its just a Jetta. I looked into leasing a GTi but it was WAY more $$$. I'm leasing instead of buying for tax reasons, and I have no intention of buying a car and keeping it beyond the warrantee anyway. I just look forward to sitting in it and driving it, I love the seats and the interior.

Well, not a lot of interest I guess but here's some pics. Just picked it up today. A little peppier than I remember from the test drive. Also, one feature surprisingly missing is a light in the glovebox. All in all a pretty nice car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lower it.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Lower a leased car? The company would shoot him!
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

They had no TDI version available?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    That's the plan...

I wouldn't lower it even if I bought it, at least not so soon...those wheelwells do seem to have a bit too much of open space!

The TDI is nice but comes at a surprising premium. VW has not produced a TDI for 07 for the US, but they are back for 08. There were plenty of 06 TDI models on the lot though. I'm not really a diesel diehard. I have an old Benz diesel, but I happened across it more by chance than choice. Great car and very durable, good mileage and all, but easily surpassed by a modern car with an appropriate trans. Diesel at least here in the US is no bargain all considered once you figure in the cost per gallon. I wanted a vanilla car with some nice qualities that I can use to my advantage come tax time and drive daily without a second thought for little money up front. Its what I got and since Ipicked it up, I've been pretty pleased.

The one thing I hate about diesels is the freaking diesel pumps. They are always dirty and poorly kept. You buy gas and you smell like it for the rest of the day and you have to watch your shoes for the chronic drip syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmacklind
    The one thing I hate about diesels is the freaking diesel pumps. They are always dirty and poorly kept. You buy gas and you smell like it for the rest of the day and you have to watch your shoes for the chronic drip syndrome.
    Apparently a trucker is not a real customer....
    don't they supply disposable gloves?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Diesel costs about 20% more than regular gasoline, so the efficiency advantage is lessened somewhat, especially if you consider the higher price of admission for diesel. You can clearly see that until now people are being steered away from oil burners.

Jettas in White look great. Congrats.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Lots of people lower cars and then return them to stock before turning in their leases, or even just reselling them.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Its a very awkward looking car imo, why did you get that and not a regular golf?
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Nice car. Vee Dub in da haus, my mom just bought a '06 TDI beetle.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Its a very awkward looking car imo, why did you get that and not a regular golf?
    Because here people think Golfs/Rabbits are awkward looking. "What happened to the trunk?" or "Why would I want a station wagon?"
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I considered a Golf/Rabbit, but after looking at both I preferred the Jetta. I don't have anything against hatchbacks. In fact, I already own one (see below). I really wanted a GTi, but it ended up being a bit too pricey for me. The Jetta does have those high shoulders, thats one awkward part of the design I think, andit seemns likemost modern cars have their butts way up in the air. The Rabbits a fine car, in fact its very much the same car, but this was the right package at the right price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Because here people think Golfs/Rabbits are awkward looking. "What happened to the trunk?" or "Why would I want a station wagon?"
    Wow that is phenominally stupid.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Thread Information