Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: so, which IS the fastest way around a corner?

so, which IS the fastest way around a corner?

well what the title sayz. if slow in fast out is quicker, why rally cars slide all the wayround, even on tarmac? if wrc-style power sliding is the answer, why f1 cars dont do that?
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Hitting the apex ftw. In order to do your slow in fast out, you need power, not all cars have a lot of power(i.e. my race car).

Rally cars usually do most of their sliding around very tight hairpins, in which case it lets them keep the revs up more, thus keeping the car on boost for when they come out. They're also set up for gravel, mud, snow, etc. The paved sections are usually shorter.

That's my theory anyway.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I cannot answer but I bet the other users viweing will. I bet they will say that it depends on the surface as well as the number of wheels with power. and some other junk. F1 cars like straight lines, too. Hweelskid I imagine kills speed and tire surface. Bad times.

Yea, it absolutely depends on the car, the track, the surface condition, even weather.

As for me, I prefer to cut a nice apex with steady throttle input through the corner. Maybe a hint of trail braking on the way in.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I think the difference is that rally cars have to go much slower(to not slide) to get around aa corner because a) they're generally on surfaces with MUCH less traction, and B, being set up for offroad, they don't really turn tht great on pavvement, so they need to break traction to get their vehicle around a corner.

so the fastest path is to break traction and controlled slide. You accelerate slower out of the corner since you don't have traction, but you don't lose as much speed.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

well also a huge part of it is that F1 cars don't want to wear their tires down so much, which sliding would do, because they're built to run the same lap for a long period of time. rally cars for the most part don't run the same circuit consecutively without the ability to change their tires. so basically i didn't answer your question at all and went off on a completely irrelevant tangent, you're welcome haha

The downforce generated by the wings on a F1 is enough to have it drive upside down at speeds as low as 90 MPH. Upsidedown, as in driving on the surface of a tunnel ceiling, theoretically.

With that much downforce, F1 cars aren't fighting for traction around corners. On a very curvy mountain road F1 cars might resort to drifting and oversteerign around corners.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    The downforce generated by the wings on a F1 is enough to have it drive upside down at speeds as low as 90 MPH. Upsidedown, as in driving on the surface of a tunnel ceiling, theoretically.

With that much downforce, F1 cars aren't fighting for traction around corners. On a very curvy mountain road F1 cars might resort to drifting and oversteerign around corners.
    It's pathetic how little mechanical grip it seems they have through tight sections. Pinnacle of technology my ass. My car could beat them through a tight group of corners.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    It's pathetic how little mechanical grip it seems they have through tight sections. Pinnacle of technology my ass. My car could beat them through a tight group of corners.
    Probably, especially through a very tight auto-X. But they are designed to put the power down with the help of the aerodynamics putting upto 4 Gs worth of downforce. 4 G is a guess, but I think it is some crazy figure.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Slow in-Fast out isnt the quickest way to get through a single corner, you use that method to optimise top speed along the straights in a complete circuit.

Well, in Forza the fastest way I take a corner is rushing into it at full speed, taking out the guy in front of me who uses his brakes (sucker), which then in turn slows me down and allows me to accelerate nicely out of the corner while the man that was in front of me struggles to get back on track.

autozine.org

Doriftoooo is the fastest way around a corner.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

On a rally stage, not everything is predictable. You never know when you'll have to adjust your cornering angle. So too much grip isn't always good even on tarmac.
    On loose surfaces, oversteering and coutersteering is the only fast way around a corner, because you need to keep the engine revving. And as you might understand or have experienced, to go through a corner safely on loose surfaces without sliding the car, you'd need to slow down a lot! That would kill the rythm. Going sideways you can corner while keeping the momentum.

On F1 you know the exact place where to put the car to corner and no adjustment is needed. Everything is more or less predictable so, maximum grip is the way to go. And also because in F1 speeds are very, very high, there is no other way of conrnering safely. You need to be really stuck to the ground.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Thread Information