Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mustang to go global.

Mustang to go global.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=223559
    Ford is ready to turn to the iconic Mustang in a bid to reverse its dwindling profits and shrinking market share — and that means expanding the brand beyond US-only coupés and into a full range of models, including a saloon like the one previewed in our artist's impression, to be sold across the world. Ford executives have devised a bold strategy to take Mustang mainstream. Saloon and estate variants are likely to join the traditional coupé in the sixth-generation line-up due to hit US showrooms in 2011, according to high-ranking sources. And Ford’s Australian operation — which has recently ramped up its R&D division — is likely to provide the hardware.

Launched in 1964, the Mustang was conceived as an affordable coupé and has remained that way for over 42 years. But Ford is desperate to generate domestic sales against a backdrop of increasing domestic and foreign competition. So it has turned to the Mustang’s popularity to lead a product revival.

Autocar understands Ford’s revitalised Australian off-shoot is set to play a central role in the proposed program. It will develop a new global rear-wheel-drive platform which future Mustangs and other vital Ford models, including various Lincolns, will use after 2010. A Lincoln concept, based on a stretched four-door Mustang platform, will be shown at the Detroit motor show in January. The move mirrors that of Australian rival Holden, which developed parent company General Motors’ new Zeta platform and launched it under the VE Commodore.

Autoweek had a very similar article. There's an embargo on the pictures for another 2 weeks, closer to the NAIAS.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

No to Mustang four doors and wagons. NO! Ford ruined the Thunderbird with this stuff in the 70s and the Mustang and the Corvette remain the only two American icon cars that have not been molested into something they were never meant to be.

It seems Ford are really pulling all the stops out. For the Mustung (as a 4 door) to sell worldwide (or at least in europe)succesfully it will have to be cheap or rise to some tough competition. Performance saloons are awash in europe and all seem to be far better engineered than the mustang presently. And also to be competitiive there would have to be a diesel mustang! can you imagine that! a mustang TDCI. This could be the end of the true Mustang as we know it.
    autozine.org

These were factory jobs.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    These were factory jobs.
    maybe mustung could use these older models to emphasise that a mustang estate is not entirely a marketing strategy
    autozine.org

I think that the Mustang going global as-is now is a good idea. I'm sure European people will buy into the muscle-car myth with V8 power and affordable prices.

However the plan to turn the Mustang into a family model range is wrong for two reasons in my opinion. First the Mustang has always been the classic muscle car coupe and convertible, there might have been factory conversion for what seem to be shooting breaks, but I'm sure they remianed very low production. Furthermore a Mustang saloon diesel is just wrong.

Secondly the Mustang fastback might work as a cheap muscle car, but us European won't be fooled into buying a sports saloon or estate (call it Mustang or whatever) if it's as high tech as the current Mustang is. The current front wheel drive Mondeo handles beautifully, as do many other front driven mid sized saloons, and if you want rear wheel drive there's always BMW.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

People import american mustangs cause it costs very little to do so, but charge any more than £27k here for a mustang and people would rather have a monaro or a german saloon, as Ferrer said its the competition.
    autozine.org

if they do make some sort of mustang saloon itll look like a big heavy chunk of plastic and bring shame to its precessecors.

didnt the mustang get flabby in the 90s anyway
    autozine.org

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    !!!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The idea of a sedan with Mustang styling cues is somewhat attractive, but the name "Mustang" should never be applied to a four-door. Call it a Galaxie or a Torino instead.

Of course, there is precedent. My beloved Cougar had an expanded lineup introduced in 1977 that included a sedan and a wagon (photo attached below; the wagon was gone by 1978).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Mustang V8 TDCi ftw.

35mpg and 500ft-lb of torque? Aww go on then.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    [Images]

These were factory jobs.

SWEET!!!

I'd have the second Mustang Estate!! It's awesome. Though, I'd paint the exterior metallic blye and add twin white stripes up the centre, Shelby style!
    Then it'd look the beeeskneeeees

AND BRING ON THE EURO MUSTANG!!!!
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 12-13-2006 at 03:41 PM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    Mustang V8 TDCi ftw.

35mpg and 500ft-lb of torque? Aww go on then.
    Brilliant post

I agree wholeheartedly!

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Brilliant post

I agree wholeheartedly!
    +1 x2
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Does Ford think Americans are that dumb that they need to be enticed to buy a car merely for its badge? The people that buy a new Mustang and think it has anything to do with an old one, just like the people who bought the GTO are the dumb ones. These new cars owe little to their predecessors other than some psychological nostalgic connection. Why compromise this only link buy messing with the formula. Build a four door, an estate, whatever you want on the chassis and call it something else. Preserve the Mustang name. You will have exactly the same car as you intended building under a different name. If the car has merit people will buy it based on that. It’s cheap to try to flog anything as a Mustang and I think stupid to imagine you can. Still Ford is desperate and this illustrates it.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information