Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting facts

Interesting facts

1. Chewing on gum while cutting onions can help a person from stop producing tears. Try it next time you chop onions!!!!!!!!!!

2. Until babies are six months old, they can breathe and swallow at the same time. Indeed convenient!

3. Offered a new pen to write with, 97% of all people will write their own name.

4. Male mosquitoes are vegetarians. Only females bite (suck blood) as they need protein to lay eggs.

5. The average person's field of vision encompasses a 200-degree wide angle.

6. To find out if a watermelon is ripe, knock it, and if it sounds hollow. Then it is ripe.

7. Canadians can send letters with personalized postage stamps showing their own photos on each stamp.

8. Babies' eyes do not produce tears until the baby is approximately six to eight weeks old.

9. It snowed in the Sahara Desert in February of 1979.

10. Plants watered with warm water grow larger and more quickly than plants watered with cold water.

11. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

12. Grapes explode when you put them in the microwave.

13. Those stars and colours you see when you rub your eyes are called phosphenes.

14. Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears. Never stop growing.

15. Everyone's tongue print is different, like fingerprints.

16. Contrary to popular belief, a swallowed chewing gum doesn't stay in the gut. It will pass through the system and be excreted.

17. At 40 Centigrade a person loses about 14. 4 calories per hour by Breathing.

18. There is a hotel in Sweden built entirely out of ice; it is rebuilt. Every year.

19. Cats, camels and giraffes are the only animals in the world that walk rightfoot, right foot, left foot, left foot, rather than right foot,left foot...

20. Onions help reduce cholesterol if eaten after a fatty meal.

21. The sound you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually the sound of nitrogen gas bubbles bursting.

22. In most watch advertisements the time displayed on the watch is 10:10 because then the arms frame the brand of the watch. And make it look=20 like it's smiling.

23. The color blue can have a calming affect on people.

24. Depending upon the shade, the brain may send up to 11 tranquilizing chemicals to calm the body

25. Leonardo DA Vinci could write with the one hand and draw with the other simultaneously. Now we know why his pictures were exquisite!!

26. Names of the three wise monkeys are: Mizaru (See no evil), Mikazaru(Hear no evil), and Mazaru (Speak no evil).

27. The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning it's head are the rabbit and parrot.

28. The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.

29. Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2-6 years of age

30. The names of the continents all end with the same letter with which they start.

31. Electricity doesn't move through a wire but through a field around the wire.

32. All U.S. Presidents have worn glasses; some of them just didn't like to be seen wearing them in public.

33. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, and purple.

34. Raw cashews are poisonous and must be roasted before.

Knowledge is everything...
    enjoy...
    GuiltyXGear

North America........South America.........I didnt know they were merged into the super continent of just America
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Don't forget the superpower China
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

China isn't a continent....
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Don't forget the superpower China
    Superpower does not make a continent though

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy
    North America........South America.........I didnt know they were merged into the super continent of just America
    Oceania aswell...

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy
    It depends... it can be six:

Antartica, America, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Africa... or seven if you separate South and North America.

To me it doesn't apply though, simply because Europe is translated to "Europa" in Spanish.

Canadians can send letters with personalized postage stamps showing their own photos on each stamp
    Can be done in the US too... and probably in other countries as well.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Oceania aswell...
    I'm not sure Oceania really counts though. A continent is a large mass of land, which certainly disqualifies Oceania. Oceania is just a useful way of grouping together all those dinky little tropical island nations that aren't really part of either Asia or Australia.

Or were you referring to the great land of Oceania, which will crush the enemy land of Eastasia? Let us thank Big Brother for raising our chocolate rations from 25 grams to 20 grams!
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Oceania is Australia, New Guinea, small surrounding islands and that other one...

The UK...
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    The UK...
    What?

The UK was the capital of Oceania. North America was a part as well.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Well in terms of continents I think there is more of an argument for saying that Europe and Asia are just one continent than there is for N. and S. America. Eurasia is basically one big land-mass with a squiggly line drawn across it denoting "Europe" and "Asia". The divide has changed much over time and certainly has more to do with historical/political/human interests than it does geological/geographical. Much of what is typically thought of as the continent of "Asia" is taken up by Russia, which is actually a European country. Go figure...
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

i already knew just about all of those, and the only one i chuckled at was:

28. The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.

that'll serve as good trivia in first period tomorrow, then i plan on forgetting that fact for the rest of my life

i ate a raw cashew. hmmm?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Thread Information