Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: My wife is brave, and getting well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    This is a really amazing recovery and it's a joy for all of us, who witnessed your fears and anguish, to notice your happiness!
    I second that, Terry is lucky to have you by her side. You deserve happiness after all you've both been through.

Taz: I hope the same will happen to your father. I'm crossing my fingers for him to get strong and healthy again.
    Thanks McReis. As I was writing this, I got a call from my dad's cardiologist. He told me a few seconds ago, that he's well enough to get his pacemaker on Saturday at 10:00 am. After the operation, if all goes well. My dad should be home by monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_Dread View Post
    Terry's new ride. Custom Lowrider Sport...

The Rehab sent her home with the wrong size chair but the supplier came and swopped it out today.....
    If that's a little too sissy for her - and considering the fighter that she is - maybe this might do better?

although one gets the feeling that, considering the amazing progress she's made, she won't be sitting down for very long at all
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    Thanks McReis. As I was writing this, I got a call from my dad's cardiologist. He told me a few seconds ago, that he's well enough to get his pacemaker on Saturday at 10:00 am. After the operation, if all goes well. My dad should be home by monday.
    More good news! That's great.
    Votes for a fast recovery!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

More good news! That's great.
    Votes for a fast recovery!
    For Terry and my dad. Cheers.

Yes, I know, I've been remiss in not updating for awhile. Thanks all for the little poke in the ribs reminders and the PM's.

It has been a busy time, but a joyous time too and we've been cherishing every moment together at home. Terry is doing great and progressing every day, the caregiver lasted only a week and Terry insisted we let her go so Terry could reclaim her domain. Not having to use a walker leaves her hands-free and it makes life much easier, especially in the kitchen were she's rejoicing being able to cook again.

Mobility is excellent. We use the wheelchair exclusively for shopping centre trips and visits to restaurants, in fact we eat out quite a bit nowadays and enjoy it thoroughly. When I ask her where her walking frame is, she has to think hard to remember where she left it. Stairs are still a problem but her legs are slowly gathering strength and it shouldn't be too long now. Walking on the lawn is wobbly but it's got more to do with lack of confidence than lack of ability.

Medically, she is stable but the broken collar bone is still a major hassle, not sure if it's knitting and it's damn painful. It's also caused her shoulder to drop and she complains her bra strap keeps slipping off. She's down to 7 leg wounds which still require weekly dressing by a visiting home nurse and has only incurred a few minor skin tears and bruises since coming home. The trachy hole, although healed over, will need attention. The skin of the throat has adhered to the trachea and they pull each other around with movement of the head.... uncomfortable and sometimes cuts off her air. Her voice remains husky and not very strong, due to damage to the vocal chords from the respirator tube down her throat in ICU. Quite sexy though and she can't yell at me anymore. Doc reckons it may be permanent, but could still improve a bit.

The wounds keep her from bathing or showering, so that's my job. With the aid of a bath-board and using the hand shower I had installed, I get to bath her and then move over to the basin and wash her hair. She loves bathtime.

All in all, she's settling in so well and life feels so 'back-to-normal' that we're both inclined to forget how fragile she still is, so we're trying to remain very cautious, the possible consequences of a little slip up do not bear thinking about.

Yes, yes, I've been trying to get Terry to the PC to read the thread and say hi, but so far no luck. Will keep trying. Hopefully, the next word will be from her.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Thansk for the update, Doug. Great to hear of continued progress and a testament to the love that you both clearly share.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Awesome news mate!!!

I've been with this thread since the beginning and all I can say that it is great to see someone go from such a state of despair to be doing as well as your wife is. I am genuinely happy for you and your wife, may she continue to grow better with time.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

That's great to hear Doug! No news like good news! Cheers.
    Last edited by taz_rocks_miami; 04-21-2007 at 08:24 PM.

That is great news, Doug.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

The wounds keep her from bathing or showering, so that's my job. With the aid of a bath-board and using the hand shower I had installed, I get to bath her and then move over to the basin and wash her hair. She loves bathtime.
    We can tell by this little paragraph how much you love to take care of her and how much she enjoys it.
    Congrats for the progresses.

Hey Taz, any news about your father?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Hey Taz, any news about your father?
    Much better McReis thanks. I'll have news on Monday.

Doug, Wonderful to have you so busy and happy that you don't have much time here
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Terry's new ride. Custom Lowrider Sport
    Own up Doug, was it you that fitted that wing on the front for better aerodynamics or did Terry order it special ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Hopefully, the next word will be from her.
    Sorry, it's me again. I got as far as getting Terry to read the thread but the experience was so painful, I may never get her near a computer again. Nevertheless, I was able catch a few tearful quotes for you:

"I'm amazed!!" ..... "Such wonderful people!" ..... "I'm so happy they were here for you when you needed them" ..... "I don't know how to thank them."
    Anyway, to update, Terry's progress is amazing. I took her back to the Rehab Clinic yesterday for the customary '6 week after' re-evaluation and she knocked their socks off, by strolling in unaided and passing every gym-test they gave her with flying colours, including the stair-test and psycho-test.

She still has some challenges. The wounds on her legs are still quite bad and painful. W.r.t. mobility, she'll be attempting to drive her car again soon. The broken collarbone still gives trouble but the pain has receded to the point where it no longer inhibits her mobility, or sleeping on that side. Kidney function and general health is good and improving daily.

I can't say life has almost returned to 'normal', because it's far better than 'normal' used to be. Having almost lost each other forever, I would say our relationship is now happier and stronger than ever!

On the basis that a picture paints a thousand words, I offer this one which I've entitled "Abandonware":

Once again, OUR sincerest thanks for all your empathy and support over this period, during which we've gone from the darkest of dark nights, slowly back into bright sunshine again. We salute you my friends.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Thread Information