Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any interesting affordable cars left?

Are there any interesting affordable cars left?

So for the chap that can't afford an Aston Martin or Maserati, that's most of us, but wants a bit of style and charisma are there any options on the market today?

Not that long ago, and despite the ongoing standarisation process the car industry is having, you could still have an interesting car without having to break the piggy bank.

There where the odd swedes with their torquesteery Saabs (Viggen) and Volvos (850 T5). The italians had their singing sixes (Alfa) or luxuxry grand tourers (Lancia). Rover would try to sell you a four speed auto in an executive saloon, but the 75 V8 was brimful of character. The germans were all about understated class and elegance, you knew you had a great car but it wasn't shouting about it.

But what's left today? Almost nothing I'd say. Saabs and Volvos are little more than rebadged Opels and Fords respectively. Lancia is losing identity faster that they can notice and the lovely Alfa Romeo V6 is gone... replaced by a GM engine! Rover is gone completely and the germans, well it's almost annoying to have one.

Perhaps though there's still some examples of this disappearing breed that still survive. There's the Jaguar XF, a proper 21st Jaguar even if it look a bit like a Lexus. The Mercedes-Benz CLS (and the cheaper Passat CC) are cars that put elegance above efficiency, and all the better for it. And we could possibly add the odd Subaru here.

All in all pretty sad.

What are your thoughts?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

there is the Citroen C6....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    there is the Citroen C6....
    Yep I missed the C6. Well add that too.
    Visca Catalunya!

Volvos are far more than a Rebadged Ford.

And a Decent S60 can still be had for Torque steering goodness - thrown in with a dash of style & Quality.

Essentially there is fun to be had all over the shop - Look at Ford, for instance. The Focus might not be the most inspired choice styling wise, but how many regular family hatchbacks these days Handle properly? most of them, in fact.

Styling has come a considerable way - these days you have to have a point of difference to survive. that may not always come off as beautiful (Peugeot) but you at least have a dash of modernity. However these days, as the Alfa Romeo slogan goes, Beauty is often not enough. There are far more rational considerations to integrate into a cars development & often the beautiful solution is not the cheapest or easiest and is thus ignored.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the average car these days is infused with a lot more engineering & design know-how and Can-do then ever before. To Disparage a car just because it's a Ford sells that vehicle VERY short these days.

And with all the aftermarket trickery available for your average car, you can take a decent vehicle & make it more to your taste.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Are we looking for interesting new cheaps cars? or interesting used cheap cars?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    it all depends, and with current prices and dollar rates I could afford a Corvette in the USA, but not overhere.....(just as an example...)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I was speaking of new cars.

There are plenty of interesting old cars.
    Visca Catalunya!

The fast Volvos are all AWD nowadays.. they've lost the surprising mentalness of the 850 T5 and R days. The Focus ST is almost a good example for the thread though.. the RS will be a better one. I'd also mention the forthcoming Fiat 500 Abarth. Also the core of the Alfa V6 may have been replaced, but I believe they still make their own heads...

In short, there's still interesting new cars to be had.. you just have to look in different places than before.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

A Fiat Panda 100HP is a fun car to drive.

Ah, in a mourning mood again, Albert?

If you are after style and charisma, there are plenty of options left. Just be a little more open minded, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Ah, in a mourning mood again, Albert?

If you are after style and charisma, there are plenty of options left. Just be a little more open minded, that's it.
    Which ones?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Which ones?
    Well, naturally I have nothing bad to say about the style or charisma of current Alfa's and Lancia's lineup. Same goes for small Fiat cars.

Another strong player style wise is BMW with 1-, 5-, 6-, and 7-series. Not beautiful cars in a classic sense, however, they have very distinctive modern and stylish design language without being overdone a la Peugeot.

Then there are cars like Volvo C30, Citroen C2, C4, C6, Renault Laguna Coupe, Mercedes C- and CLS-class, Opel Astra Coupe, Cadillac CTS, new Ford Fiesta, Volkswagen Scirocco, Mini, Mazda RX-8, Mazda 2, Saab 9-3 convertible...

All are very different cars. But with style and charisma, nevertheless.

I guess the biggest thing is that these older cars you mention only have a cult following 5-10 years after they were built.

In 5-10 years many of these afformentioned modern cars will be of a similar situation. so they don't have the weight of history to yet support them.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The fast Volvos are all AWD nowadays.. they've lost the surprising mentalness of the 850 T5 and R days. The Focus ST is almost a good example for the thread though.. the RS will be a better one. I'd also mention the forthcoming Fiat 500 Abarth. Also the core of the Alfa V6 may have been replaced, but I believe they still make their own heads...

In short, there's still interesting new cars to be had.. you just have to look in different places than before.
    Alfa's V6 right now it's just an Holden engine with a new head, but that gorgeous sound is gone...sigh...

IMO, Jaguar (x-type apart of course) is still doing the thing in the right direction, and even Lexus has something quite appealing (high tech all over the place) even if a little too much understated.

Alfa needs to really bring back its sporty heart, their cars look the sexier on the market (imho), but the engine and handling are quite regular, or just a little better. speaking about Italians, the Thesis was perhaps the last very intriguing super sedan, but it predecessor, the K, and Lancia's (Fiat's) marketing, ruined it's reputation.

MB, AUDI, BMW and even VW are just boring, very ordinary even when they are barely unveiled, something you are already expecting from them. The Passat CC perhaps is their only interesting release, but I simply can't like it.

Volvo are really loosing their old aura, like Alfa in a way, but I still think the S80 is a good looking car and perhaps it still have some chromosomes of the old Volvo. and it's based on the XF.

Mazda has an complete and competitive line-up and a very interesting possibility of developing its design thanks to last year's concepts, but up to now, its cars aren't very intriguing.

Possibly, the Subaru Legacy (in all its forms) is still a good old-way car, very reliable and satisfying to own. something a little difficult to feel in these days.

I guess Jaguar it's my choice, but it isn't very cheap, at all...

I'm aware I completely ignored the France, the only one I would actually consider it's the C6 with the XF and the S80
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

you missed a "d" there, chap. itīs stan-dar-di-sa-tion

typos aside, Iīm assuming that, by "interesting affordable cars" you mean "interesting affordable sedans/wagons" cosīof what you said about Volvos and all of that. And itīs true. The affordable sedan market ( at least on this continent ) is dominated by the japanese, who apparently donīt believe in "character" or "interesting" in the western sense. and who can blame customers who go for an Accord or Camry?. They may not look like much, but they charge literally 5 times less* for maintenance, they never go wrong and they have the space and the power, some would say even a little style in the case of the Accord Coupe. Here, Toyota & Honda are marketed a step above Ford and GM and are priced accordingly.

*in Mexico, of course. You have your 5 or 10 000 km service done in an hour, or at the very least, you get your car in and out of the dealership in one day. Other brands take 2-3 days to get it done.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Thread Information