Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advantages of sidepipes?

On the viper (srt-10 here) they burn the sills! I think they suit vulgar cars like the mclaren mercedes slr well.
    autozine.org

I am another person on the "They look WICKED!" bandwagon.
    Lead Driver For The UCP.com Draggin' & Driftin' Racing Team.

If only there was one.

One huge advantage I don't thing anyone has mentioned: ground clearance. Actually I'd love to slap some of these babies on my car

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    One huge advantage I don't thing anyone has mentioned: ground clearance. Actually I'd love to slap some of these babies on my car
    where would you put all the cat conversion stuff?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    where would you put all the cat conversion stuff?
    You only dive it 5000mi. a year and you don't have to have them. Or you can make it appear that you only drive it 5K miles a year.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    You only dive it 5000mi. a year and you don't have to have them. Or you can make it appear that you only drive it 5K miles a year.
    So when you drive less than 5k mile in ANY vehicle (not only classics) you don't need a converter in the USA?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

So when you drive less than 5k mile in ANY vehicle (not only classics) you don't need a converter in the USA?
    At least in my state(Maryland). If it's more than 25 years old you don't hoave anything more than a "visual inspection," which really means that you don't have to pass emissions at all. You still need things like turn signals and such, so you can actually funtion on the roads.

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

At least in my state(Maryland). If it's more than 25 years old you don't hoave anything more than a "visual inspection," which really means that you don't have to pass emissions at all. You still need things like turn signals and such, so you can actually funtion on the roads.
    But if you buy a new Cobra replica now, what then? Is less than 5k miles enough? Because it is certainly not a classic..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Side sills (aka rocker panels) are lower than floorpans and the aftermarket sidepipes I've seen actually reduce ground clearance, not increase it, because the dump pipe exit hangs below the sill, rather than being neatly tucked up under the floorpan

Our local laws here mandate that, at the least, a sidepipe must exit aft of the rearmost opening side window, to reduce fume intake into the cabin

But if you buy a new Cobra replica now, what then? Is less than 5k miles enough? Because it is certainly not a classic..
    here it is considered a new car, and must be equipped with an engine built in the last 5 years - as for emissions, no idea
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    here it is considered a new car, and must be equipped with an engine built in the last 5 years - as for emissions, no idea
    overhere too, but what in the USA?

Well, aren't you inquisitive. I honestly don't know, I would assume that if you do any considerable driving it has to pass the same tests as any other car 25 years or newer. I believe it depends on whether it is a Kit and you built it or if it was factory assembled.

Well, aren't you inquisitive. I honestly don't know, I would assume that if you do any considerable driving it has to pass the same tests as any other car 25 years or newer. I believe it depends on whether it is a Kit and you built it or if it was factory assembled.
    Well, and referring to another thread I am not like Fleet 500, I like to know what goes on in other countries

Well, and referring to another thread I am not like Fleet 500, I like to know what goes on in other countries
    That made me laugh a good deal. In fact, that may have made my day.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I burned myself on some Corvette sidepipes when I was 5. I still have a scar.

The best advantage I can think of is being able to pull up to a wall, etc., and having the sound bounce right back to you - truly badass, it's the thing I miss most about being able to do in my old Mustang. As for burning pedestrians, hey! They shouldn't be that close to my car anyway :-)

You could also do side-exit pipes, with the exhaust plumbing routed under the car, to get the benefits of side pipes without the burn risk, like I did on my Mustang.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information