Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dad wants a new car...

Dad wants a new car...

Anything from about 1992/1993 onwards.

Under about 11,000 NZ (7,800 US)

Right now its likely gunna be a Toyota Hilux Surf

But....a Ute with 4 seats (not a double cab though, one with the small bit that you get into by folding down the front seats) with a canopy is also pretty high on his list.

Any suggestions? Preferably diesel too.

Something to fit your mum in the back and you in the footwell?

Last edited by IWantAnAudiRS6; 01-02-2007 at 06:54 PM.

see my response on msn

I thought the Pussy died?

Don't get an extended cab truck, those hurt like hell when you ride in the back in those tiny-ass jump seats
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

DON'T get a hilux surf.
    My dad has one, a 1995 V6 2wd Toyota 4Runner, as it is known here in the states. I HATE that car. The ride is harsh, the interior regardless of where you sit is cramped, the engine is extremely noisy and so is the road noise. There is so much noise from the tires. The steering is also heavy, and the AC smells when you first turn it on. The ceiling is also very low, so if you're above 5 1/2 ft. your head will bump on it if you sit in the rear. The front passenger seat suck, since there is very little leg room because of the placement of the wheel well and you sit too low on all rows.
    However, there is a lot of cargo room, but not so much passenger room. It's also very reliable, his car has over 100k miles on it and has never needed major service. It also has good ground clearance.
    If your getting a new car as a daily driver, there are much better choices.
    Last edited by gt4forever; 01-02-2007 at 08:33 PM.

Do you specifically need a 4WD?

Quote Originally Posted by gt4forever
    DON'T get a hilux surf.
    My dad has one, a 1995 V6 2wd Toyota 4Runner, as it is known here in the states. I HATE that car. The ride is harsh, the interior regardless of where you sit is cramped, the engine is extremely noisy and so is the road noise. There is so much noise from the tires. The steering is also heavy, and the AC smells when you first turn it on. The ceiling is also very low, so if you're above 5 1/2 ft. your head will bump on it if you sit in the rear. The front passenger seat suck, since there is very little leg room because of the placement of the wheel well and you sit too low on all rows.
    However, there is a lot of cargo room, but not so much passenger room. It's also very reliable, his car has over 100k miles on it and has never needed major service. It also has good ground clearance.
    If you'd seen/been in what my dad had before this, you'd think this was pure luxury. Hes carrying cargo alot more than he's carrying passengers so thats alright. Above all he needs cargo room and reliability and off-road ability (to a certain extent, a low range box and decent clearance) . Its a work horse above all, we've got another car for a family car.

and yeah it does need to be 4wd.

Get a Toyota, put simply

At least their 4WD's arent as much of a fridge on wheels like alot of their cars. Maybe a 75 series Landcruiser.

How about something similar to what we have:
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=24565
    I'm not sure which year model $11,000 NZ will get you, but a twin cabin with a flatbed sounds like a good idea for what you're dad seems to need. Or if he needs more load area than passenger space, maybe even a single cabin?
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Miata.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Miata.
    Is that a joke ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Is that a joke ?
    posted by somebody who almost became elected "funniest UCP member"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    posted by somebody who almost became elected "funniest UCP member"

Thats my pic you bastard

but well deserved usage of it. +1!

Quote Originally Posted by gt4forever
    DON'T get a hilux surf.
    Well, considering that he wants a Hilux, he is looking for something reliable, especially since Jeremy Clarkson couldn't destroy one. So, if it is reliability that your dad is looking for, then you should go ahead and get teh Hilux, though it is not the most refined car in the world.
    Last edited by Prius; 01-06-2007 at 01:25 PM.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Thread Information