Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Dakar Rally

i wish i had speed tv to watch it.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    and in the car class, VW
    I second that... I think they stand a chance with the fact they are running with diesel's. I reckon that the torque at low revs could be a very handy advance...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Força Sousa!!

And now I have an avatar supporting Carlos
    Last edited by JRodrigues; 01-05-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I second that... I think they stand a chance with the fact they are running with diesel's. I reckon that the torque at low revs could be a very handy advance...
    And Volkswagen fixed their problem they had in 2006 with the car not running well in soft sand

Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues
    Força Sousa!!

And now I have an avatar supporting Carlos
    IM with you man!

I read today on the paper that he is hoping to be a front runner this year. might even take few stage victories!
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

nice feature of all the stages here!
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

I'm hoping C.Sousa can be the first runner of the VW squad!
    Tomorrow I will be there to watch the start

Carlos S. in 1st!!! But it's not Carlos Sainz.. it's CARLOS SOUSA!! With over 3 minutes over Giniel de Villiers. 5 VW's in the top 5 places! Although Robby Gordon was doing good split times. First Mitsubishi is 5 minuts from top place in 7th.

On the Bikes, a 1-2 for Portugal, with Ruben Faria 1st and Hélder Rodrigues in 2nd. 3rd is Casteu almost 5 minuts from the top place.

A very good day for our drivers

And for today's results:

Bikes:
    1. Ruben Faria (Por), Yamaha
    2. Helder Rodrigues (Por), Yamaha +0.16
    3. Esteve Pujol (Esp), KTM +5.00

Cars:
    1.Carlos Sousa (Spa), VW
    2. Giniel de Villiers (RSA), VW + 2.31
    3. Carlos Sainz (Spa), VW + 2.38

Trucks:
    1. Gerard de Rooy (Ned), GINAF
    2. Hans Stacy (Ned), MAN +0.20
    3. Vladimir Tsjagin (Rus), Kamaz + 0.46
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Go Giniel de Villiers!

He almost had it last year, watch him run away with it this year...

The Dakar has claimed yet another life...

Quote Originally Posted by motorsport.com
    South African Elmer Symons lost his life on the second day in Africa. The 29 year old rider, now living in the USA, was running a rookie competitor in the 29th Edition of Dakar. His accident occurred on the fourth special stage in Morocco.

The sub-champion in the 2002 overall South Africa Off-Road Bike Championship had participated in the past two Dakar events as part of the Adventure Riders who take on challenges around the world. This year, Symons was part of the JJE/SSC KTM Racing Team on a KTM 660 Rally bike. For his first Dakar, his brother Kingsley Symons was providing assistance for him this year.

The KTM rider was 18th in the overall standings after stage three yesterday. Symons was only two positions behind the 2005 Bike title holder Cyril Despres and only 28 minutes adrift of the leader Isidre Esteve.

No one denies that Dakar is dangerous, Symons is the fourth rider to die in the event since 2005. Dakar is known as the ultimate challenge, one where those who make it to Dakar during the long marathon race are lucky. Even the best have fallen.

Today's special route covered 405km taking the competition to the famous sand dunes. A.S.O, the organizers of Dakar, have not released how or where the fatality happened at this time. Right now, they are providing support to Symons' brother at the assistance bivouac and for his fellow riders at a private bivouac in Quarzazate which had already been planned before today's tragedy.

Symons was the type of racer who did not just jump into a situation, he knew he wanted to race in the world's most challenging endurance rally. It was the reason he was a member of an assistance team over the past two Dakars. To learn, to see for himself the difficulty and to prepare himself for the long days and nights. He wanted his brother to be his mechanic and to share the experience of Dakar with him.

Today, the Symons' adventure has ended with sadness. Yet, the KTM rider knew what can befall those who dare to challenge Dakar.
    RIP
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

RIP Elmer

My condolences

So it apparently was caused by inexperience I read in my newspaper this morning. So should the organization do something about this ? For example let all drivers do a "exam" and show their skills ?

But on the other hand,new drivers might not get a chance. What do you guys think ?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    So it apparently was caused by inexperience I read in my newspaper this morning. So should the organization do something about this ? For example let all drivers do a "exam" and show their skills ?

But on the other hand,new drivers might not get a chance. What do you guys think ?
    It's what the organization thinks. Perhaps some sort of exam could be a solution for the victims. But on the other hand (and this might sounds harsh), the deaths in the Dakar are part of the rally's charm...

If you look at it from a human and safety point, a test should be restricted. But then you get the thing about the inexperienced drivers not getting a chance... I think they should stick to the current situation. It has been good for almost 30 years, so why shouldn it be changed...

Thread Information