Thread: Please help me with this car's backstory

Please help me with this car's backstory

I just purchased a 1/43 Brumm model of an Auto Union Rekordwagen. The car did not come with the box, and I have not been able to find much historical information on the car online. The most I know about it is that it was raced by Hans Stuck and may have set a speed record at Carenata. Can anyone provide me with more detailed information? Thanks!

http://www.brumm.it/00-media/00-data...1-150/R108.jpg
    Last edited by pdr; 01-23-2007 at 01:55 PM.

Hans Stuck stellt mit dem Auto-Union Rekordwagen auf der Autobahn Frankfurt-Darmstadt fünf Weltrekorde auf.
    Translated:
    Hans Stuck sets five new World Records on the Autobahn Frankfurt-Darmstadt, in 1936.
    http://www.chemnitzer74.de/chemnitz/autounion.htm

Another source quotes Bernd Rosemeyer as the driver:

1937 überraschte die Auto-Union die Rennwelt mit diesem für Weltrekordversuche konzipierten Rennwagen Typ R. Mit diesem Wagen stellte Bernd Rosemeyer am 26. Oktober 1937 den absoluten Automobil-Weltrekord von 404,6 km/h über 5 km bei fliegendem Start auf. Dieser Weltrekordwagen wurde aus dem berühmten Heckmotor-Grand-Prix-Rennwagen des Jahres 1936 entwickelt. Der Auto-Union Rekordwagen R war ein 16-Zylinder mit 6 Litern Hubraum und 520 PS bei 5000 u/min. Im Nachkriegsdeutschland verschleppt, kann man jetzt eine Replika im Audi Museum in Ingolstadt sehen.
    In 1937 Auto-Union surprised the racing world with this purpose built racecar Type R. With this car Bernd Rosemeyer set the absolut Automobile-World-Record at 404,6 km/h on 5km with flying start on 26th of October 1937.

This world record car was based on and developed from the famous 1936 back-engine-racing car from 1936. The Auto-Union Record car R was a 16-cylinder with a volume of 6 liters and 520 Horsepower at 5000 r/min. the car was destroyed in after-war Germany, but a replica is now on display in the Audi museum in Ingolstadt.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silberpfeil

This pdf file also quotes about how it all ended. Decide for yourself whether it is a good source:
    http://www.wissen.swr.de/sf/wissensp...0030_06_01.pdf

And its translation:

Bernd Rosenmeyer crashed to death.
    Frankfurt am Main, 28th of January 1938.

A shattering message comes from the Reichs- Autobahn Frankfurt am Main - Darmstadt. Bernd Rosenmeyer crashed lethally with the Auto Union record car. After Mercedes-Benz aborted it's record run on friday, Auto-Union with Bernd Rosenmeyer behind the wheel went to the starting line for an attempt. After the first run Rosenmeyer said that the sharp,hard southwestern wind almost pushed him of the road. However he still started again and this drive would become his last. The accident happened at kilometersign 9 near Zubringer-Langen-Morfeldern, shortly before the bridge, where he would have ended his one-mile run. A hard gust of wind picked up the car and trew it against the hill(of the bridge), where it was completely crushed. However Bernd was trown out before that, but the race doctor could only conclude death.

Maybe one of the guys with more knowledge could help out ? I know they are there
    Last edited by drakkie; 01-14-2007 at 04:08 AM.

And then Bernd Rosemeyer crashed fatally with one of these contraptions. A sad end to the very short career of possibly the most naturally gifted racing driver ever. How good he was is hard to judge as he only raced the C Type Auto Union, but was the only one of the talented group of drivers that ever got to grips with it.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I'm pretty sure this is a Type B, whereas Rosemeyer died in a Type C (R?). There seem to be a number of different configurations with this and the Type C and D. Thanks for the sleuthing, boys! I'm still hoping to find more.

For a full history of the Type A-C, I'd suggest reading this article: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...php&carnum=872

The Type D is a completely different car altogether.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I've continued to research this and am getting closer to putting together what I want. The word "carenata", as in "rekordwagen carenata", still eludes me. It doesn't seem to be a place or track name. When I Google-translate it, I get "ducted" or "careened", which doesn't make sense. I think in French it comes to "carenee", with accents on the first and second e. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by pdr
    I've continued to research this and am getting closer to putting together what I want. The word "carenata", as in "rekordwagen carenata", still eludes me. It doesn't seem to be a place or track name. When I Google-translate it, I get "ducted" or "careened", which doesn't make sense. I think in French it comes to "carenee", with accents on the first and second e. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again for your help.
    Carenata means bodied with the wheels covered, if I'm not mistaken, as opposed to the the open wheel Grand Prix desgin, '30's Formula 1 design, if you see what I mean. Much like Mercede-Benz did two versions of their W196. One with the wheels covered, and one with a more traditional open wheel design. You can see the difference in the attachaments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Perfect, thanks! Yes, I'd seen Moss' Mercedes referred to as carenata too.

Thread Information